Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Low Rider S
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckhornBud View Post
    Funnily enough Pete I asked my tuner this exact question. There may be the odd few who are capable of doing it, I don't know. My tuner's answer was that a tuner was needed for post 20something bikes due to the way the mapping was flashed. It was that or have a bespoke map produced (which I think is what you are getting at) as there was no real time method of fiddling with eprom values. The actual fuelling needs translating to some sort of standardised fixed point map to populate SMV (stoichimetric values) before the tuner can then fiddle and adjust for each of those points. As I understand it, this is exactly what the tuners provide, but they also offer other pretty comprehensive functionality when partnered with a laptop to read them (or in the case of the FP3, with a smart phone). My other fuel injected bikes couldn't be directly altered via the eprom chip either. They needed re-flashing or the chip needed swapping out.
    Hi Buck, I have had mine done, the tuner connected direct to the ECU and downloads a program that optimises the mapping as you ride. It is meant to be good enough not to need updating again for filter or exhaust changes. The program is not effected by dealer software updates.
    To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnythefox View Post
    The rear brake on my abs Iron 883 is frankly shite, the dealers mechanic checked it and says its fine, he road tested it, but I find it less effective than the rear drum brake on my old Virago 750
    Your obviously not stamping on it hard enough
    FTW )

My Ride
    A proper bike
    Quote Originally Posted by xbpod View Post
    Hi Buck, I have had mine done, the tuner connected direct to the ECU and downloads a program that optimises the mapping as you ride. It is meant to be good enough not to need updating again for filter or exhaust changes. The program is not effected by dealer software updates.
    Not sure how that works as the bike's on board eprom only reacts within the bandwidth of the O2 sensors to richen or lean the fuelling to the points on the mapping and AFAIK things like ignition timing are fixed (they can be altered via advanced features on the tuners but are best left alone from what I was told)...I didn't know that it could learn and adjust as reading the bumf about the Delphi system, it doesn't seem to work that way....must look into that further. My Aprilia RP58 chip could adjust slightly for things like change of end can but not for anything more than that and I thought that the sportster one was similar....you live and learn.

My Ride
    Hi Buck, the guy that works the magic writes programs for race teams as well as road bikes, he calls it a reprogram rather than a remap. I only had mine done just over a week ago and it definitely runs smoother and I have got back most of the low down grunt I lost when I had the stage 1 carried out with V & H big radius exhaust. Also took the edge off the exhaust note, even the other half said it didn't sound like my bike and she didn't know I had had anything done to it.

My Ride
    Dyna Superglide
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Your obviously not stamping on it hard enough
    Was driving the old lady's car the other day. I had the ABS on the first time I hit the brake because I am so used to stamping on it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to reindeer For This Useful Post:

Whistler (06-20-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson iRON 883
    I'm using the rear brake as I always have, foot stays on peg, press down with under toe portion of boot, you reckon I need lift my foot up off the peg, foot forward and stamp on the thing? I notice that I have never activated the abs on my 180 hp gti, not crashed either :-)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson iRON 883
    and oops, very sorry for mixing up this thread.

My Ride
    2017 Harley-Davidson XL1200T
    the tuner connected direct to the ECU and downloads a program that optimises the mapping as you ride.
    My bike has CAN bus. I can understand that with a CAN bus interface to USB for example I could connect to my bike from a PC. Now I need to know how to talk to the ECU. Then I need to know lots of other things just like MoCo does with its SE tuner and digitech diagnostic tools plus V & H and many other companies have worked out how to remap the fuel table amongst reading other useful data from the ECU.

I can understand the concept of auto tuning after reading the following article but it takes time and is not real time with a V & H FP3. The gathering of the data is saved to be applied later.

http://www.enginebasics.com/EFI%20Tu...%20Basics.html

If I do the mechanical things for a stage 1 and go and ride how lean is it going to be?

Can I do enough miles without doing permanent harm to the engine for this guys tuner to work its magic?

How good is the Harley program in the ECU at richening up the mixture and over what range?

I think it is only by a very small percentage. If it actually worked then my bike wouldn't of sounded lean when new before I did stuff to it?

Is there really extra room in the ECU to download your own program and get it linked in to run? Has this guy found a way to change the standard program that monitors the O2 sensors?

One of the people I ride with helps here husband remap a car but it involves her tweaking settings on the laptop as they drive around but I haven't any details of whether that is actually real time or not. The FP3 for example requires the bike to be switched off and on (rebooted) for the map to take effect.

I write all of this as a layman and make no bones about being clued up on any of it - an interested bystander who likes to learn stuff.

My Ride
    Hi Andy, I did the mechanical things myself and then rode to the dealers for them to complete the stage 1 and the dealer said it was my choice to choose to ride before it was remapped by them (about 35 miles) but off the record is wouldn't be a problem. To be honest all they did was download a standard map for my exhaust and it was running lean and poorer than before the stage 1. I do not know what the programming involves but can only say that since it was carried out my bike runs a lot better across the whole rev range but especially at the lower end, and appears to be running cooler.

My Ride
    2017 Harley-Davidson XL1200T
    and appears to be running cooler.
    That would be because the remap has richened the mixture. That part I do know!

It would be nice to get to talk to the guy who did the tuning for you. I like to hear about how stuff works.