Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Morning gents - backache got to be more painful the longer I rode, so I took the plunge. After 1500 miles of riding with my Mustang Solo, I have bought a Mustang Solo seat with backrest (79429) - see first post. Not satisfied with that, I also spent even more on an Offset Driver Backrest Tongue (75099), which is less than $30 in the US but £48 including postage here. Altogether, it's nearly £600 all in...!

Mustang Offset Driver Backrest Tongue - 75099.jpg

When fitted, it pushes the backrest 2" backwards (the 'tongue', or support post, is buried in the saddle, only the top is showing):

Mustang Offset Driver Backrest & Tongue - 75099.jpg

The standard tongue is dead straight and I tried it first. It really pushes you forward in the saddle and I need as much leg room as I can muster so I changed it for the offset one, with the bend in the top. It makes a world of difference! Either is more comfortable than no backrest at all but the offset post really is nice. Much more mellow riding experience. Arms are more fully extended but the back, legs and fingers are much more relaxed. I tried it yesterday, aiming to ride a full tank of fuel down to reserve without stopping, just to see what hurt most at the end (hoping it wouldn't be my back!). It wasn't. I did nearly 140 miles - about two and a half hours - and my bum got painfully numb so I had to stop. My knee was also 'twinging', but nothing too worrying.

Although the numb bum was a bit of a surprise - this saddle is 2" wider than the one without the backrest - it's acceptable because the saddle is still more comfortable than previously and I would have got the numb bum anyway. (I can get a numb bum in the bath...) It means my physical limit on riding is about 2 hours, then I need to pee and have a drink: seems good enough to me.

Rosswg: it's a good point about removing it - since you can just pull the backrest out, anyone could just walk off with it! (I imagined it would bolt in or something.)

Al: No need to be a Russian ballet star, there's just about enough room between the bars and the backrest to get your leg over the tank & seat. I keep scuffing the backrest with my boot, but with practice, I'm confident I'll get the hang of it!

Backrests are very comfortable then. I'm glad I got mine, despite the insane expense.

Cheers,

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisOfTheOT; 07-07-2018 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Pics reloaded

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisOfTheOT For This Useful Post:

Andy from Sandy (07-08-2018), bluenose-1956 (07-07-2018)

My Ride
    2017 Harley-Davidson XL1200T
    Altogether, it's nearly £600 all in...!
    Wow!

If that's what it takes to enjoy your ride then it must be worth it.

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisOfTheOT View Post
    Thanks gents - once again you're a mine of helpful information. This time the conclusion is surprisingly clear and quick: backrests do work but look 'orrible. Interestingly I was going to say that I really dislike sissy bars & the like (selling mine on eBay right now) but I didn't want to cause a stir - ironic that everyone (in this thread) doesn't like them either.

That said, I can't see any point in riding with discomfort if it can be avoided. I can sacrifice aesthetics for comfort - it's starting to look like (yet another) cost issue. [sigh] We'll have to see...

K9F: In the thirty-odd years that I've been off a bike, things have certainly changed. I do not remember anything like 'Ninja Turtle Armour' back then! I had a look on eBay (there's tons of it!) and your Dainese offering is very... turtle-esque... but it does look effective (not to say bullet proof). I fear I would look like the only double-sided turtle in history though. (But without backache, I suppose.)

Al: Honestly, I have never come that close to confusing you with Rudolf Nureyev. Perhaps if we were more intimate?

The rest of you gents: I generally agree with you, backrests do look 'a bit odd' on the whole, although I don't understand why you want to get your leg over me Whistler, nor why you want to look at my pants when you get off your bike rosswg.

You guys are starting to seem very strange to me...

Cheers,

Chris
    Not you , you muppet. The bloody back rest, fitted to any bike. I'd put a hip out stretching that far
    Last edited by Whistler; 07-09-2018 at 05:06 PM.
    FTW )

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Ah - that does make more sense Whistler. (Can't help feeling strangely dissapointed now though...)

Cheers,

Chris

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy View Post
    Wow!

If that's what it takes to enjoy your ride then it must be worth it.
    'Tis true, it is worth it. I enquired at Riders about a Stage One and was told it would be £1300, including exhaust. Many riders believe that's worth it for better performance (I'd certainly do it if I could). £600 is simply what it cost (me) to 'tune' the the saddle. It just a question of maths I suppose, and physical (dis)comfort.

Cheers,

Chris

My Ride
    Ah - that does make more sense Whistler. (Can't help feeling strangely dissapointed now though...)

Cheers,

Chris
    I'd rather you be disappointed than the alternative
    FTW )

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    [Sigh] You cut me deep Whistler...

At the risk of getting back on topic (backrests are wonderfully comfortable), I have been getting more numb bum while using it. I think it's because the sitting position is more upright - more presure directly on my luscious buttocks. I'm going to try the straight support post for a ride, just to see. (Since it pushes you forward a tad, it also makes you 'lean' (a tiny amount) forward too, thus, buttocks are under slightly less pressure. Who knows? It may even help.

Cheers,

Chris

My Ride
    [Sigh] You cut me deep Whistler...

At the risk of getting back on topic (backrests are wonderfully comfortable), I have been getting more numb bum while using it. I think it's because the sitting position is more upright - more presure directly on my luscious buttocks. I'm going to try the straight support post for a ride, just to see. (Since it pushes you forward a tad, it also makes you 'lean' (a tiny amount) forward too, thus, buttocks are under slightly less pressure. Who knows? It may even help.

Cheers,

Chris
    You might be on to something.
    I find the positioning on the Iron about right for me. I think it's because you can vary position from upright to a slight crouch, at least in my case. I also think the mid pegs take some of the strain off my lower spine. On the occasions I've ridden bikes with forwards and higher bars, I get aches coming in much quicker. See how you get on. On the "cutting deep"- tough
    Last edited by Whistler; 07-13-2018 at 10:41 AM.
    FTW )

My Ride
    2015 Harley-Davidson Sportster 883 XLnIron
    I’ve just fitted a seat with removable back rest and have to say it’s super comfy with it on

88E03167-F5F8-4EBC-A8C8-24A3ABC8069E.jpg

D3943442-F902-4070-B61F-C4A538C035E8.jpg

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Looks like a cool seat F1ADO. It may be a little low for me as I need the padding (surprisingly!) but it does look good and 'super comfy' certainly fits the bill! From the back the rest looks very similar to mine - same seam with same chrome post & adjuster: is it a Mustang?

Backrests certainly do make riding more comfortable. I tried a couple in Riders and those were good too - one was very hard but still comfoy enough. I wouldn't want to be without mine now, but I do get a numb bum after a while. I met my brother & a couple of friends for a ride out recently - they were on a Sport Glide, Fat Bob & Breakout respectively. Surprisingly - given the huge seats on these bikes - they too got significant numb bum after a while.

Since my saddle is new (1500 miles old now) I'm hoping it'll mellow with age. Like me. We'll see.

Cheers,

Chris