Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 releases

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by adamreading View Post
    I definitely wouldn’t have one as my only bike, but for a bit of fun... the torque from electric engines is ridiculous.

My job is a Car Salesman (Citroen) and electric is a real game changer. We‘re still a little bit away from the sub £20k family car with 500 mile range, but not as far as you might think. I’d fancy something about the size of a Yam MT-03 with a 200 mile range and 20min quick charge just for blatting about. I’m just not sure about the silence I’m a firm believer of Loud pipes save Lives
    I'm sure they'll have a market, just not with this old biker
    FTW )

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    I've read that H-D are planning to launch their electric motorcycle in 2020, as I've said above H-D has named their electric motor the "Revolation".

The pros and cons of H-D producing an electric powered motorcycle has been discussed many times on this forum. There's no use in us older riders giving our opinions on the electric motorcycle, it's aimed at the millennial's, a younger professional rider who doesn't want to be up to there elbows in oil and grease at the weekend. These younger riders will work in the city and live in suburbia, they'll want a clean non polluting machine for commuting into the city to earn their daily bread.

The internal combustion engine has served motorcyclists for around 120 years, within 30 years the engines that we've grown to love over the years will be no more. We have to adapt to survive, before the American depression there were around 200 motorcycle manufacturers in the USA, then Henry Ford introduced his mass produced "Model T" motor car for little more than the cost of a hand built motorcycle. Most of the American motorcycle companies were forced out of business, after World War II only Indian and Harley-Davidson had survived the mass motorcycle culling. In 1953 Indian were forced into liquidation leaving Harley-Davidson as the sole survivor American motorcycle manufacturer. Harley-Davidson survived the war years by building over 90,000 WLA 45 side valve V-twins, Indian only produced 1056 of their 841 model for the USA military from 1941 to 1943. The writing was already on the wall then for Indian Motorcycles.

As we all know Indian are back in business producing motorcycles under Polaris ownership, long may they survive.
    I don't disagree with what your saying, the millennial can have them in their nice pollution free cities. And if it helps harley survive, then all to the greater good. But 30yrs to get their infrastructure in place, both rural and urban, I'm not buying the timeframe.
    FTW )

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Whistler For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (06-14-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    I don't disagree with what your saying, the millennial can have them in their nice pollution free cities. And if it helps harley survive, then all to the greater good. But 30yrs to get their infrastructure in place, both rural and urban, I'm not buying the timeframe.

Hi Shawn,

The sale of all brand new petrol and diesel powered vehicles are due to be banned in 2040, that's only 22 years from now. If conservationists have their way the ban will be brought forward to 2030, so the internal combustion engine is living on borrowed time.

In 50 years time the only place where internal combustion vehicles will be seen is in museums. The anti-pollution laws will come into force whether we agree with them or not, highly populated cities like Tokyo, Delhi, Bangkok, Beijing, Mexico City etc already have pollution problems. Pollution is a self made global enemy of mankind, hopefully the tide will soon turn and we'll all be able to breathe easier.

Air-Pollution_Beijing_Citizens.jpg 161219094241-shanghai-air-pollution-dec-2016-super-169.jpg an20130220a1a.jpg heavy-smog-in-gurgaon_7d3a185c-a451-11e6-b234-3982876c2dbb.jpg smog_72263f54-a451-11e6-b234-3982876c2dbb.jpg scooter-1643004_1280-1-950x550.jpg
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 06-14-2018 at 06:43 PM.

My Ride
    Na, still not buying their timescale. The infrastructure is no where near being able to handle that.
    FTW )

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson iRON 883
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Na, still not buying their timescale. The infrastructure is no where near being able to handle that.
    In what way? charging points? you realise any government wont care if you are a bit inconvenienced, and thirty years is a long time, where were say mobile phones thirty years ago.. I don't like electric vehicles, but the tree huggers will win this one, one day there wont be petrol at the pumps just electrons...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnnythefox For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (06-14-2018)

My Ride
    '16 Iron
    Love the last pic. All with their ineffective face masks adding to the problem sat on the scooters!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Not too old For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (06-14-2018), Whistler (06-14-2018)

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnythefox View Post
    In what way? charging points? you realise any government wont care if you are a bit inconvenienced, and thirty years is a long time, where were say mobile phones thirty years ago.. I don't like electric vehicles, but the tree huggers will win this one, one day there wont be petrol at the pumps just electrons...
    In terms of common sense, charging infrasrtucture, impact on the national grids, pollution due to needing more power for all the electricity, power stations to keep up with demand etc etc.. I realise the government don't give a stuff, and hopefully I'll be to old, or to crippled ride by the time all this eco shite comes in. If not I'm sure we'll be running out bikes on bio fuel or whatever out here in the sticks
    FTW )

My Ride
    XL1200C
    The problem with modern society is people have things too easy, no one wants to deal with any problems that arise, it’s always someone else’s fault, or the fault of technology. We’re losing our caveman, hunter gatherer instincts, and could lead to the collapse of society. Now that we’ve turned to technology to make our lives easier, it’s actually made it harder, because people don’t have the basic life skills to deal with even the most minor problems.

What would be the point of riding a automated bike run by a computer? Everything tracked by GPS to keep to the correct speed limit, corners negotiated, speed corrected, lean self adjusting, hazards avoided, braking applied with ABS, automatic indicators and horn, no engine noise. There wouldn’t be any point in owning a motorcycle, and no point in living.

If people don’t buy electric bikes, we’ll keep our V Twins, let’s ride and show ‘em what they’re missing.

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    The problem with modern society is people have things too easy, no one wants to deal with any problems that arise, it’s always someone else’s fault, or the fault of technology. We’re losing our caveman, hunter gatherer instincts, and could lead to the collapse of society. Now that we’ve turned to technology to make our lives easier, it’s actually made it harder, because people don’t have the basic life skills to deal with even the most minor problems.

What would be the point of riding a automated bike run by a computer? Everything tracked by GPS to keep to the correct speed limit, corners negotiated, speed corrected, lean self adjusting, hazards avoided, braking applied with ABS, automatic indicators and horn, no engine noise. There wouldn’t be any point in owning a motorcycle, and no point in living.

If people don’t buy electric bikes, we’ll keep our V Twins, let’s ride and show ‘em what they’re missing.
    Spot on. Technology is a pain in the arse at times. Look at the last Lloyds Bank computer hassles and the damage that ensued. Our computers at work are always having problems, my kids can live without their smartphones and virtual friends. I know I'm getting old when I don't like the world i live in. Your right, there is no point to riding electric bikes, where's the fun. I thought my rebellious days were behind me, but maybe not if this suit comes in in my riding lifetime
    FTW )

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Neo-Luddism, me thinks.

You can't stop progress, history has proved that.

240_F_138698676_EuWcGjEjSAt2TIAXknnQ83jLym8CW1Wb.jpg