Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom

Handlebar Grips: bosses - who knew?!

I'm gonna have to give up on my fat Drag Specialties grips as my right hand (forefinger-knuckle-thumb) hurts like hell after a couple of hours: the grips are just too fat for me. I've been looking and have found 'boss' extensions which the heal of your throttle hand can 'rest' against to ease pressure. What wonderful idea! But does it work? Who here uses the boss attachment? (I've also seen springy bosses which you can just clip over the throttle, but I want something more substantial - like an Avon thing, but not as fat as their Air Cushion range.)

Avon V-Cruiser seem good, but there isn't a boss option from what I can see.

avongripsnonheated26.jpg

Avon Velvet Air Cushion jobbies seem really great - especially with the boss - but they look quite fat to me, and we're getting into expensive territory too...

avongripsnonheated54.jpg

I'll have to keep searching but would value any suggestions.

Cheers,

Chris

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hi Chris,

I have H-D's "Get a Grip" handlebar grips on my Iron, mine are all black to suit the dark custom theme but they're also available in black and chrome.

I've found these grips to be excellent for grip and comfort and I don't have massive hands.

IMG_20160505_190141 (3).jpg s-l500 (1).jpg s-l1600 (20).jpg

The black and chrome ones are H-D part # 56100015, they're not cheap at £87.00 but to my mind you can't put a price on your own comfort and well being.

Regards,

Dave.
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 06-14-2018 at 01:38 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

reindeer (06-14-2018)

My Ride
    Dyna Superglide
    Those are gorgeous! I woulda gone with those had I known. I have the avon grips. I like them a lot - but they aren't thin. I find if I use thick neoprene gloves that the grips don't bother me after long rides.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to reindeer For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (06-14-2018)

My Ride
    A proper bike
    I've found the plain ordinary standard grips fine and would only consider changing for some visual aesthetic reason. I think that a little additional isolation of the bars would help reduce vibes (the only other reason I can think of that I'd want, say, cushioned grips)...surprised that the bar clamps don't have a rubber mounting option where a rubberised surface is used on the clamps. On longer runs, it's always good to take a break as unlike my other bikes, Harley vibes can intrude sometimes.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BuckhornBud For This Useful Post:

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 06-14-2018 at 09:21 PM.

My Ride
    Dyna Superglide
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckhornBud View Post
    I've found the plain ordinary standard grips fine and would only consider changing for some visual aesthetic reason. I think that a little additional isolation of the bars would help reduce vibes (the only other reason I can think of that I'd want, say, cushioned grips)...surprised that the bar clamps don't have a rubber mounting option where a rubberised surface is used on the clamps. On longer runs, it's always good to take a break as unlike my other bikes, Harley vibes can intrude sometimes.
    I thought Dyna and Sportster front ends were identical? The risers bolt to these on my Dyna:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to reindeer For This Useful Post:

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Yes Reindeer, they are different, looks like the Dyna's bars are rubber mounted and the Sportster's aren't

DYNA05-40.jpg Sportster2012-59.jpg

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

reindeer (06-15-2018)

My Ride
    A proper bike
    Yep...I've never understood why they didn't use the same mounting system for the Sportster.

I've found some over-grip foam rubber sleeves to help for around £14 the pair.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Sportster low
    I suppose it depends whether the motor is rubber mounted or not. The Dyna motor is a hefty lump!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Although my OEM grips are a bit worn (the satin shine has gone a bit) I don't have any issue with the fatness of them, even though I don't have particularly big hands.......maybe it is because I have quite a large palm or I am just used to riding bikes which need a strong grip (Guzzi Le Mans) and holding onto the grab handles of our sidecar outfits.