My Ride
    A proper bike

Sporster "tuning"...a unique take!

I had the pleasure yesterday of meeting up with a few fellow "Sickos" from my local area. The discussion (as it so often does) went the way of tuning and how much gains to expect, what the costs were etc etc. One older, wiser member sat supping his drink and when everyone had almost exhausted the topic of conversation, he quietly muttered something from which I only got ".....fitted a 1450 kit"....ahem....WHAT?

Turns out that this chap is used by Hammer performance to test some of their kits over here and he'd ridden in on a "functional" looking sporty which had been the subject of said 1450 kit....130BHP/110ft-lb torque...bleeding eck! Same cylinder heads as stock, just machined out and new cams fitted; upgraded bottom ends, new cylinder liners, pistons, conrods etc. Cylinder head kit $600, plus probably the same for cams and possibly double for machining work. Exhausts used on that and other conversions were Hammer (2 -1 or Super-trap 2-1). Looks like a £3.5K conversion, everything included...not bad for a bike that would leave the fastest of the M8's for dead!

Shocks were Hagon, front fork springs up-rated too...not sure about brakes but I think in the circumstances I'd be after something a tad better than stock!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BuckhornBud For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (06-12-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 48
    Wow. Not sure I'd spend 3.5k but it sounds awesome.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to andyrattle For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (06-12-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Here is a 2007 video of a Sportster tracker with an S&S 1640cc kit fitted.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

ChrisOfTheOT (06-16-2018)

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Wow Bud - I thought 1450cc was insane for a Sportster (not to say unnecessary). But lo! Dave pops up with a 1640cc monster - and video!! Cosmic. (You know what I thought when I watched the vid? I thought, what a shame they ruined a nice Roadster like that! I must be getting really boring in my old age.)

Puts my Stage One dreams in the shade though, innit?

Cheers,

Chris

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisOfTheOT For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (06-16-2018)

My Ride
    A proper bike
    Standard chassis, clutch and brakes aren't up to much over 90 BHP/85 to 90ft-lbs imho so the cost of engine modes is just the start! By the time twin front discs (and the new wheel that's needed), forks, up-rated clutch (on the larger conversions) and suspension are costed, I reckon anything from the Hammer 1275 upwards would be looking down the barrel of £4 to 5K to get the best from the bike and keep it safe handling. I'd save my cash and simply buy a stock (non Harley) that has all of that as standard....KTM 1290 comes to mind amongst others. The standard 1200 seems to suit the adequate amount of grunt that close to 80 ft-lbs lends it.

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    Epic bad riding. (unless the two lane road was closed to other traffic)