Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Sportster low

Short fork improvement

What is recommended to improve the action of the short forks on my 1200L, 2009?
    When riding, there only seems to be about 2-2.5” of tube left, and the front end pogos a bit.
    I have fitted a pair of longer stainless Hagon shocks out back, which match the look of the standard ones.
    I was thinking of a pair of spacers with heavier oil.
    Do the Hagon progressive springs make a lot of difference in the short travel legs?

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Sportster
    Hi, I know zip about Sportsters but I know a little about suspension. Sag should be 25-30% of travel. My low has about 60mm of travel but 30mm of sag. I plan to fit a 15mm spacer, I expect this will improve things a little.

I might rework the front to increase the travel but that’s a bit more involved!

Try it and see, you won’t do any harm.

Cheers

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by DavieL View Post
    Hi, I know zip about Sportsters but I know a little about suspension. Sag should be 25-30% of travel. My low has about 60mm of travel but 30mm of sag. I plan to fit a 15mm spacer, I expect this will improve things a little.

I might rework the front to increase the travel but that’s a bit more involved!

Try it and see, you won’t do any harm.

Cheers
    Sounds similar to mine, I’m going to try the cable tie on the fork stantion, to get a better idea of sag and total travel.

15mm sounds a lot of preload considering the total travel, I was thinking more like 10 or maybe 12 at most.

After reading posts from other guys about removing the top nut, and having to compress the spring about 2+ inches, I’d be very wary about doing this.

But he who dares gets a black eye!

Ray.

My Ride
    Ouch! Might start at 10mm...

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by DavieL View Post
    Ouch! Might start at 10mm...
    I was looking on the Sportster info site, forgot name, at fork differences.
    A little difficult to follow, but there were two lengths of damper tube, short and long.
    Set me wondering if a change to longer damper tube and associated spring would give a longer fork leg and more travel.
    But only if the stantions are the same length in “short” forks as longer forks.
    Has anyone looked into this, or does the whole stantion and internals require replacing?

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    The Sportster information website is Sportsterpedia.com

Sportsterpedia is a sub-division of the XL Forum.

There is a whole section on there about front suspension.

sp-welcome-logo.jpg XLFORUM_NET_final4.jpg

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Here are the components that make up Sportster forks.

1994-std-fork-parts-01.jpg

My Ride
    I noticed when looking on Sportsterpedia at fork info, that there are two different length damper tubes.
    Now, I don’t know if the main stantion tubes are all the same length, but if they are, it may be possible to lengthen the front forks by changing the damper tube, and spring to suit.
    I’ll have another look on ‘pedia to find lengths of fork tubes. TBH I found it a bit hard going sorting through the tables!

My Ride
    I transformed the ride of my Low in two ways,

1. Half inch spacers in the forks set the sag to be better level (from 1" to 1/2"). A bit of a fight to get in but it is do'able with the correct tool.
    2. 330 mm Hagon shocks on the rear. This takes the travel from 1" to 3". This is not as severe as it sound as the Hagons have about 1" of sag vs the practically nothing of the standard.

The bike now steers and handles well and comfort is much better. The sidestand lean was not enough to start with IMHO now its better, possibly a little too much but easily fixed if you feel the need.

It depends what you want, if you prefer the slammed look and don't mind the harsh ride that's fine but if you decide you need a little bit more comfort its not a major change - each to their own

PS For Sale 11" standard shocks off a low miles 2009 Low!

thumbnail_IMG_0455.jpg

My Ride
    Also, 15W oil on the front