My Ride
    XL1200V Sportster

Cool Ignition switch with engine start

I`m looking to change the key switch on my XL1200v so that I can start the bike with the key (car like) that is first click acc ,second on, further twist to start. I will have no problems sorting out the wiring but I need a lock that will fit in the original Harley fitting. Has anyone done this and could offer me some advice?

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Sportster
    Never tried it. Will you be using switch that automatically returns to the first position when you let go to stop the starter motor being held on for too long after the engine kicks in. l guess it’s not essential

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DavieL For This Useful Post:

Lou.Briand (06-18-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I reckon one from a real Mini might do what Lou wants - I seem to recall they were quite compact.

See if any of these are suitable? https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product_list/41

AL

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

Lou.Briand (06-18-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Bloody hell AL,

I didn't realise that Uncle Joe Lucas (The Prince of Darkness) was still in business. We used to have a Lucas store here in Halifax, it closed down over 30 years ago. I only used the place once to buy a lighting toggle switch for my old 1977 Triumph TR7RV Tiger 750. The switch was mounted on top of the headlight shell. That was in 1980, we had another female PM in those days, she was an admirer of the 1987 Triumph Bonneville.

margaret-and-dennis-thatcher-1987-standing-with-a-triumph-motor-bike-AC58JF.jpg
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 06-16-2018 at 05:01 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

Lou.Briand (06-18-2018)

My Ride
    XL1200V Sportster
    Thanks for that web address, I already got a switch on Amazon and it is almost made for what I want as it fits so well, it is similar to one of the Joe Lucas ones only half the price. I've made up a little harness and will fit it at the weekend if I get time. The switch is four position, acc, off, ign and start. The starting position is spring loaded so when you release the key it goes back to ignition, seems well made and at £10.37, inc. postage somewhat of a bargain.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou.Briand For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (06-18-2018)