Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckhornBud View Post
    I would generally agree with you K9F except that as I understand it (unless reading it wrong), the issues haven't been resolved.....
    Hi Buckhornbud, I interpreted the post completely different to you then, especially as the title states he 'had' teething problem! We may never know or hear back from him if it's resolved?

The only apparent thing here is that the OP's confidence in his machine has taken a beating and it was 'intimated' by the dealership based on their findings that the owner may have left something switched on, nothing more? Is the fault still there? Has it re-manifested itself? Or has the OP racked up four days and mileage without issue? The dealership found nothing untoward.

Assumption is all that can be applied here.

What exactly is a 'Harley Tester?'

One would assume using some form of large variable rheostat the battery would have had a capacitance test at approximately three times it's current rating for a short duration to ensure it is holding charge. A specific gravity pipette may also have been used to test electrolyte for charge if it is not a sealed battery (reading would be expected of about 1.26). Thereafter it would have been recharged and a voltage check carried out? A test to check what current (normally milliamps only) the bike is drawing when everything is switched off followed by a check of the terminal voltage whilst running (approximately a tad over 14 volts). If these checks which would have taken but a few minutes to carry out did not reveal any issues what further checks would you expect?

As stated ride it, enjoy it and confidence will build. Intermittent faults are the hardest to find. Ride the hell out of it and confidence will build. IF there is an intermittent fault it will invariably degrade and be easy to find eventually. That's what warranties and Harley-Assist are for.

I would suggest if you have power in your garage a battery tender would be a prudent investment as in the unlikely event anything is inadvertently left on in future the battery should still have a full charge when you come to use it!
    Last edited by K9F; 06-10-2018 at 10:38 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    A proper bike
    Soz, yes, just re-read it and must have misread first time round. If the chap says he left nothing on, and the battery went flat then clearly something was amiss. Personally, as long as it holds a full charge this time round, I'd not be worrying unduly.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson FAT BOB
    Hi again,
    Thanks for all the comments and advice.
    Done fifty odd miles now and everything running smoothly. I am surprised at how light the Fat Bob handles and so look forward to some fun riding.
    Regarding the battery, I've been keeping a keen eye on it (Volts on meter) and the normal float volts seem to be 12.9 and so good I think.
    My original thoughts are the The PDI was not done to bring the battery up to a full charge so all the collecting and checking was down to this.
    A worrying point though was that a service manager at one of the dealerships said that Harley batteries regularly go flat after more that three days if not used ( quote "my father in law's battery has to be charged if it is not used for three days" unquote.
    So, question, just how long can my bike be left before I have the same problem?
    If I fly off to Spain for a couple of weeks, for instance, will I have a flat battery on my return or do I have to take any "storage" precautions?
    Just asking, (but still got some reservations)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson FAT BOB
    Again.
    Just thought about what K9F just said.
    "anything is inadvertently left on in future the battery should still have a full charge when you come to use it!"
    Please just what could be left on on a brand new bike to discharge the battery in this way in any time scale never mind two days?
    Ta

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson FAT BOB
    Hi again,
    Done fifty odd miles now and everything running smoothly. I am surprised at how light the Fat Bob handles and so look forward to some fun riding.
    Regarding the battery, I've been keeping a keen eye on it (Volts on meter) and the normal float volts seem to be 12.9 and so good I think.
    My original thoughts are the The PDI was not done to bring the battery up to a full charge so all the collecting and checking was down to this.
    A worrying point though was that a service manager at one of the dealerships said that Harley batteries regularly go flat after more that three days if not used ( quote "my father in law's battery has to be charged if it is not used for three days" unquote.
    If I fly off to Spain for a couple of weeks, for instance, will I have a flat battery on my return or do I have to take any "storage" precautions?

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerontius View Post
    Hi again,
    My bike can go 3-4 weeks and still start ok. I try to put it on the Optimate every 2-3 weeks to charge the battery up over the winter. We go to Florida most October's for 2weeks, plus a few day either side for airport travel. Bike has started up no problem on each return.
    FTW )

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerontius View Post
    Again.
    Just thought about what K9F just said.
    "anything is inadvertently left on in future the battery should still have a full charge when you come to use it!"
    Please just what could be left on on a brand new bike to discharge the battery in this way in any time scale never mind two days?
    Ta
    The only thing that gradually discharges your battery is the alarm, I think. It wouldn't do that in 2 days. Can't think of anything else.
    FTW )

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Thanks for the update Gerontius!

If you are leaving the bike for longer periods buy a Yuasa Calcium Enriched battery. They are more expensive but the advantages of calcium enriched batteries are numerous if you do a little research. The main advantages are that they possess a longer shelf life, are more resistant to vibrations, have higher cold cranking amp ratings, less prone to sulphation and are able to cope with deep cycle discharges and recover much easier. Disadvantage they naturally cost a little more.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Sportster 1200 ca
    If you can, keep it on an optimate it will keep it in tip top condition and make it last longer
    Welcome to the forum

My Ride
    A proper bike
    I've been advised that keeping a battery permanently hooked up to an optimate or similar won't actually help prolong battery life...it doesn't harm a battery to be discharged now and again, just not left to fully discharge to a flat state. I leave mine off for 4 weeks at a time with no ill effects but over the winter it gets hooked up and left until charged then disconnected for 3 or 4 weeks before trickle charging to top it up every 3 or 4 weeks. Even optimates (at least the one I have) continue to charge at low amps when the battery is full, and this does neither the battery nor the charger any good. I have another which dumps current once it detects a full battery but it's still using electric all the time so with my green hat on, I think it's poor practice to leave any charger on all the time.