Thread: I did it!

My Ride
    Triumph Bonneville, HD Breakout

I did it!

A couple of weeks Guildford HD called to say they had a 2018 Slim as a demo bike. I had been waiting to ride a Slim or Deluxe for a long time. Guildford also had a 103 Slim for sale, so I thought it was the perfect opportunity to ride the M8 and TC back to back and make my mind on which bike I preferred (I had never ridden a Harley that was not a M8).

The following day's weather forecast were glorious so I took the day off and book a test ride for both Slims for the afternoon.

Since I was off anyway, I ran a couple of errands in the morning. I had to go into London to renew my kid's passport, do the MOT on my bike etc. but that still left me with a couple of hours to kill before I had to be in Guildford. So I popped into Warrs and took a 114 Breakout for a spin.

I was a bit timid as I left Warr's parking lot, having read all about the peculiar traits of the Breakout handling.... But really didn't find bad at all.... It may be my limited riding skills or the fact that I am very relaxed on the bike, but I had a great time going up and down the A3, doing a few roundabouts and a few "duels" with some super adventure bikes (all in good fun and thumbs up). So as I give the keys back to the nice salesman a doubt begins to form in my mind....

Naahh it just doesn't make any sense..... with a 13L tank I will be able to do 130-140 miles max... which means stopping every 2 days. Plus the bike was just so refined.... It was awesome and easy to ride and comfortable but it was still missing that roughness I associated with riding a Harley in my head.

Anyway it was time to head to Guildford.... I was quite excited...

They are finishing prepping the 103c so it's going to be the M8 first....

It took me 200 yards to understand the Slim was not for me.... The ergonomics are all wrong. My knees are sitting higher than my hips, my feet are resting on thees floorboards but I keep moving them forward to break and shift. My ass is sliding back every time I twist the throttle forcing me to hang onto the bars in order to stay on the bike.
    After 30 minutes my hamstring are cramping since I have to keep shifting my feet back and forth between the resting positions and the controls.

I am so sad.... but I can't wait to give this bike back. I think it just doesn't fit my style of riding.... I still like to downshift into a corner, play with the rear brake to help rotate the bike etc.... I think the Slim is made for nice chill out cruising on the long road West to Cali....

Anyway there is no point in riding the 103c....

The salesguy suggest I take out the SportGlide to see if it is any better.... And it is certainly an improvement for me (it must be the boards I dislike) but the handlebar comes around too much forcing me to nearly have a neg inclination on my back.... and my ass is still sliding backward....

Oh dear....I am so confused now....

Then a thought starts taking form in my tiny brain.... The 114 Breakout was really that good, if the 103 Breakout comes close, adds 10L of fuel and a bit of the roughness I was hoping to get, then maybe that is the bike I should go for....

So back to the classifieds... spot a nice specced one but it is in Plymouth... I call HD Southampton (same group but much closer to home) to see if they can have it moved to their dealership. Lloyd (super nice sales guy) says he can do one better.... they just took in a 12/2016 Breakout with less than 2,000. If I commit by the end of the day he will knock some £££ off the price.... I tell him I NEED to ride it first (after my experience with the Slim), but I agree.

Well last Sunday I went to Southampton....

And I came home with this....

side back.jpg

3q back home.jpg

front home.jpg

side.jpg

I am smitten.... this is ALL and EVERYTHING I thought a Harley should be...

Objectively the new Breakout is a "better" bike. I don't know how but it is much easier to toss around, the suspensions are better, the brakes have more feel and stop quicker, it is lighter etc...

But for me there is no comparison. I would choose the 103 over the 2018 every time. It may be the V&H big shot and Stage one (oh my god it is loud!!!) but it seems to me the TC has more torque low down.... It does run out of puff quicker, but I don't need/want to rev the Harley past 4k anyway.

Also I like the look of the FXSB better.... it may be the tank design or the "hardtail" triangle... I don't know...

I am so happy... I am so lucky... I am so badass

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 911teo For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (06-08-2018), reindeer (06-12-2018)

My Ride
    2011 WideGlide
    Cool, nice one.
    jfwiw you find that everytime Harley bring out a "new engine" then the previous one was, according to some, the best engine they ever built ... lol.
    I think you were right, it is the stage one on the Breakout. Saved you some time and money tho'

My Ride
    Triumph Bonneville, HD Breakout
    Oh... You are right. The M8 is more powerful, has more torque, is more fuel efficient, less polluting, has less vibrations... Nobody could objectively sustain the Twin Cam is superior.

I think the loud pipes and the shakes you get low down from the TV make you 'feel' the engine more.

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Cool, the way you documented your experience. Nice bike you ended up with. I text rode a deluxe whilst on hols in Florida last year. Lovely bike ,with the M8, but is way too smooth for my tastes. I like my Harleys rougher round the edges.
    FTW )

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Sportster 48
    Sounds like another great experience at Southampton Harley! I love those guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
    Congratulations on a lovely bike, that is the other Harley that I will one day own. Like you, I also love my 103, to the point I have never been interested in riding a M8!! I also prefer the look of yours, wheels etc.

Good choice and enjoy your lovely bike.