Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Sportster 48

Stage 1 Complete.....

So after a bit of advice from this forum I went ahead and added a Fuelpak3 and Hi-Flow air cleaner to the V&H shortshots.

I wasn't expecting it to make that much difference to the running of the bike but it really does. No more flat spots through the rev range, no more popping and spluttering (though I do miss that a bit), and more torque, just runs a lot smoother......almost too smooth. Only issue I had was for the first few miles the tickover was high, around 2500 rpm, but after a few miles it settled down, hopefully just sensors adjusting or something. I haven't messed around with the Fuelpak yet, just applied to basic map for the Shortshots. Feel I must mention the air cleaner.......didn't want to fork out several hundred pounds so took a punt and ordered 1 from China....it arrived fairly promptly and the quality fantastic, really happy with it.

Total cost for Stage 1 - £860
    Shortshots (Matt Black) £460 - Harley Old Skool (Unfortunately I think no longer trading)
    Fuelpak3 £320 - H&C Custom (Cheapest UK Stock I could find)
    Air Cleaner Assembly £80 (The Bagger Store, Aliexpress)
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tony666 For This Useful Post:

911teo (06-05-2018), bluenose-1956 (06-05-2018), Face (06-11-2018), reindeer (06-14-2018), Spurtle (06-05-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    The Forty-Eight's looking great Tony.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

reindeer (06-14-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Forty Eight
    Great work Tony. Still got the plate at the rear, think it’s still at the rear there in the pic.....

My Ride
    Sportster 1200 ca
    Looking good there, that's about what I paid for my stage 1.

My Ride
    2017 Harley-Davidson XL1200T
    I don't have the link now but do a google and you should find a very good article on how to use the autotune feature.

If you take your bike to a dyno tuner there is advanced setup features available through your phone to allow the fuel table to be set at each point along with a whole host of other settings.

My Ride
    Thanks gents......I’ll do some digging later ref the fuelpak tuning.....but the suns out now so riding ��.....actually on my old triumph speed master at the mo....forgot how bloody good it was....in almost every sense better than the Harley.....but it’s not a Harley ��. Your right Steve...still got the plate to sort out, trying to decide between side mount or some kind of small rear fender mount....and wondering if I’ll get away with an old b&w plate (got one on the Triumph)...470193A8-4CCD-4E2E-B162-9F8E4C5676CF.jpg

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Forty Eight
    Hi Tony, there black n white is so cheap from the company I suggested - imho....go for it!

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    48 looks really smart.
    FTW )

My Ride
    Cheers Whistler, so I thought I'd do a bit of an update on the Fuelpak, hopefully might benefit someone who's just fitted or thinking of fitting one. After fitting, then downloading canned map for V & H Shortshots and Hi Flow filter, I then removed the FP3. The first few miles the bike ran very smoothly and all of the popping and banging on deceleration was gone. The only issue was the tickover was around 3,000 rpm!! After around 3 miles the tickover settled nicely. The next day I fired the bike up, it ran great but I noticed the odd pop and bang had come back. At 53 miles the fuel light came on (usually get 65-70 before this happens). After filling up and continuing to ride for the next full tank it felt as though the bike was 'tuning itself'......I dont know if this is possible, no FP3 fitted and not in 'Autotune' mode......but more of the decel pop was back and very slight flat spots.....the next tank lasted 65 miles.........

Not sure exactly what's going on, I have no tuning experience and very limited mechanical knowledge but it seems after the initial map was loaded the mixture was maybe too rich, and the bike has adjusted this? Anyhow's, it's in a nice place at the moment, a happy medium, smooth, but not too smooth....I'll try the autotune next and see how that goes, there seems to be mixed results online, but one fantastic feature I did find was within the FP3 app there is an adjustment setting for how much 'Decel Pop' you want....1, 2, or 3 Firecrackers

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 48
    Sounds like you need to auto tune. the basic map for short shots and free flow filter didn't give great results on my 48. You shouldn't be ticking over above 1100rpm when warm if the map you picked is anywhere near correct. first of all make sure your filter and exhausts are fitted correctly (i tracked down bad running to loose exhaust nuts.) when you get that map right it will run perfectly. Probably took me 300 miles of varying roads and riding to get the tune perfect but you should get a good result in 100. I remember the feeling of "maybe it will settle down" but thats not how it works. If the parts are fitted right and the tune is right it will run like a honda. The fp3 takes time to learn and I'm still not sure of all the features but i love the fact i can sort my own fuelling rather than trust it to a dealer.