Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple mods

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    Ok Shawn,

I am sorry if you found my post offensive, it wasn't intended as a dig at you, or your mechanical ability, it was more to do with the high costs that H-D franchises charge for their services, around £90 + VAT per hour. It seems that you have a good rapport with Edinburgh H-D, mine is less than harmonious with Leeds H-D.

I won't be posting on the forum again after spending a night in the pub, I don't drink alcohol that much these days and it seems to go straight to my head. I've now deleted the offending post.

When I need help with my Iron, I have some useful mates to help me out, One is a qualified mechanic, one is a professional electrical engineer, one is a full time tyre fitter and another works at a powder coating company, so I can cover most eventualities with any of them. The electrical engineer repaired my idiot light panel after the oil pressure LED failed due to water ingression, it seems to be a common problem with Harley's if they're ridden in the rain. There's no rubber gasket to keep out the water, well done H-D. I got mine fixed for a few brews, a box of 240 Yorkshire tea bags, my mate Roger does enjoy a proper brew.

I feel you and I have always had a good rational understanding on the forum, I don't want is to be ruined by one drunken post by me. I fell asleep after posting and woke up at 2:30 am, that's what alcohol does to me these days, it sends me to sleep.

Regards,

Dave.
    Fair enough, we do have a rational understanding and I've had my say. I used to get my Honda serviced by a local retired mechanic, and he always did a sterling job. My harley is different, it's my dream bike and I want all the HD expertise that goes with it, as well as recourse and backup if something goes wrong . I have an excellent relationship with Edinburgh HD. I get good discounts, am well treated, and they have always done right
    by me. So as a result in happy to support my local dealer with my custom. Price wise it's cheaper than what my honda servicing was from a dealer years ago.
    FTW )

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Whistler For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (06-03-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson wide glide
    I’m with you whistler on this one I work on and fix agricultural machines everyday but when it comes to my bike I let the professionals do it . I bought my bike from Edinburgh Hd and they are second to none .

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash1690 For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (06-03-2018)

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash1690 View Post
    I’m with you whistler on this one I work on and fix agricultural machines everyday but when it comes to my bike I let the professionals do it . I bought my bike from Edinburgh Hd and they are second to none .
    They certainly are. In 34 yrs of biking, they have left all other dealerships i have dealt with behind by a long way. It's a very personable dealership, and one well worth using and supporting.
    FTW )

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Whistler For This Useful Post:

rosswg (06-03-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson iRON 883
    I used non Harley Davidson brand oil today in my primary today, I hope I haven't wrecked my bike? I did use a new Harley o ring on the drain plug (Ebay) whilst I was there I did the clutch adjustment and chain tension check, should I get a proper Harley mechanic to check my work? worrying times.

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnythefox View Post
    I used non Harley Davidson brand oil today in my primary today, I hope I haven't wrecked my bike? I did use a new Harley o ring on the drain plug (Ebay) whilst I was there I did the clutch adjustment and chain tension check, should I get a proper Harley mechanic to check my work? worrying times.
    Sarcasm, impressive.
    FTW )

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson wide glide
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Sarcasm, impressive.
    Does the saying ... lowest form of wit spring to the mind

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash1690 For This Useful Post:

Whistler (06-04-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    My two penn-orth, for what its worth.

I think I understand where both Whistler and Bluenose are coming from (and I don't think Bluenose intended any malice in his original comment).

I live too far for me to travel to any HD dealership (although if my health improves I may be able to get to one of them).

On that basis, I would fit most stuff to my bike myself (Done shocks, forward controls, tacho kit, sidestand and other things - I found them all relatively easy).

But - I have been working on and maintaining cars and bikes (old ones and new ones) for many years now; so I reckon I am pretty much skilled at the jobs I have to do.

However I admit I was cautious about working on a Harley for the first time and if it wasn't for some advice from this forum, the job may have been harder.

So, I think back to when I first started working on vehicles and had a complete lack of knowledge of what I needed to do; therefore I understand Whistler's point of view getting stuff done by the main dealer.

However, because I consider I am experienced enough it would be easy for me to ask why Whistler didn't do some small jobs himself (I didn't - but could have done).

Regretfully having owned many new bikes over the years, having seen some main and independent dealers workmanship; there is very little trust I could have in any other mechanic to work on my bikes.

For example, there is only one Ducati dealer in the UK that I would have entrusted my SS to, but they are too far away from to have even considered them (they operated an excellent parts and spares service as well).

There is also a good independent not far from me, but rather than pay someone else to do the work (who maybe not notice some of the improvements and tweaks I had already made) I just did the work myself.

Mind you, I have seen some terrible work done on some owner maintained bikes - many of the owners shouldn't be allowed near a spanner let alone a motorcycle.

Hope that lot hasn't offended anyone.

AL

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (06-04-2018), Flash1690 (06-04-2018), Spurtle (06-04-2018), Whistler (06-05-2018)

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin'onabit View Post
    My two penn-orth, for what its worth.

I think I understand where both Whistler and Bluenose are coming from (and I don't think Bluenose intended any malice in his original comment).

I live too far for me to travel to any HD dealership (although if my health improves I may be able to get to one of them).

On that basis, I would fit most stuff to my bike myself (Done shocks, forward controls, tacho kit, sidestand and other things - I found them all relatively easy).

But - I have been working on and maintaining cars and bikes (old ones and new ones) for many years now; so I reckon I am pretty much skilled at the jobs I have to do.

However I admit I was cautious about working on a Harley for the first time and if it wasn't for some advice from this forum, the job may have been harder.

So, I think back to when I first started working on vehicles and had a complete lack of knowledge of what I needed to do; therefore I understand Whistler's point of view getting stuff done by the main dealer.

However, because I consider I am experienced enough it would be easy for me to ask why Whistler didn't do some small jobs himself (I didn't - but could have done).

Regretfully having owned many new bikes over the years, having seen some main and independent dealers workmanship; there is very little trust I could have in any other mechanic to work on my bikes.

For example, there is only one Ducati dealer in the UK that I would have entrusted my SS to, but they are too far away from to have even considered them (they operated an excellent parts and spares service as well).

There is also a good independent not far from me, but rather than pay someone else to do the work (who maybe not notice some of the improvements and tweaks I had already made) I just did the work myself.

Mind you, I have seen some terrible work done on some owner maintained bikes - many of the owners shouldn't be allowed near a spanner let alone a motorcycle.

Hope that lot hasn't offended anyone.

AL
    Makes a lot of sense. It's whatever works for people individually. Confidence and technical ability will also play a part. When I was in on Saturday, the other guy in for a service travelled all the way from Dingwall.
    FTW )

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Makes a lot of sense. It's whatever works for people individually. Confidence and technical ability will also play a part. When I was in on Saturday, the other guy in for a service travelled all the way from Dingwall.
    Quite, I completely agree.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

Whistler (06-05-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200C
    It's funny what different experiences and perspectives throw up. I fully empathise with anyone who decides to have a dealership fit parts, even if it just involves a spanner or allen key and 5 minutes. I also see why others want to do work themselves to either save money or because they can or because of trust issues gained from bad experiences. There's no right and wrong, there's only what works at a personal level.

Once bitten, twice shy for me. I've had such appalling experiences at the hands of a Harley dealership which I entrusted with my bike (precisely so that I could use my time "more wisely") that I now do most things needed myself except where it would be too much of a PITA. I've changed the shocks, set the headlamp up so it isn't directing aircraft in to land; rear wheel alignment; fitment of rear racks and QR kits, screens, filters, replacement pegs, pipes, and some of the tuning work. Always used to service my own cars until more recent times, and have completely stripped and rebuilt bike engines in the past, but these days, I am less inclined to want to fiddle as I'd rather be riding. I draw a line though and do the things myself where the £90/hr +vat makes it a non-starter for simpler jobs for me and leave the engine work (including servicing) within the warranty period to HD. Once out of warranty, I'll do all minor services myself.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BuckhornBud For This Useful Post:

Flash1690 (06-05-2018)