Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple mods

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron

Simple mods

Had the Iron in for a service today. Also got them to fit my axle caps (chrome Willie G skull front, black bar and shield back). When I got my Iron 2yrs ago I had a simple plan to make it my own. I loved the overall look of it (,toyed with the idea of z bars, whitewalls and lower suspension, but I like my comfort, plus its a common look on the bike). I decided to keep the bike looking stockish. As the bike is a dark custom, I stuck with the Willie G skull theme that extends to billet gas cap, derby and gearbox covers, handle bar trips and foot pegs, and today the axle caps. (I even have the tattoo).My next addition is the skull shifter peg, which I'll get in Florida this year. My missus started that. She suggested getting the parts whilst we were in Florida, just before I picked up my bike up in 2016,, so every holiday to Florida she buys them as early christmas/birthday presents. Cheesy, maybe but anyone that knows me, knows I'm an absolute HD nut, so getting the parts in America floats my boat. The only other thing I've done is polish up the denim paint work, to a slightly shinier black, somewhere between gloss and denim. I'm not an HD rider, who's bike is always changing, it getting very close to my finished vision, an riding home today, it felt great.
    FTW )

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whistler For This Useful Post:

Alec L (06-04-2018), reindeer (06-12-2018)

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    Sorry Whistler, I can't believe you got the H-D stealership to fit the axle caps, can't you use an allen key yourself?

That's one of the simplest mods to do on a Harley, why pay Edinburgh H-D to do it?

Ye must hae plenty o' siller tae dae that.
    Don't give a shit what you believe. Always said I'm not technically minded. I could have done it, but the fine motor skills in my hand deteriorate year on year, making simple, fiddly, things a bit more awkward, so I didn't want to scratch my paint. And anyway it's my bike, my approach, not yours. Edinburgh HD fitted the parts for free , as they always have for me. They'll probably fit the shifter peg free when I get that too. You know Dave, when your fiddling with your bike, I'm probably out on my bike. You really are an ignorant prick at times, for all your knowledge and expertise, that really is very helpful,you really get it wrong with people.
    Last edited by Whistler; 06-03-2018 at 07:58 AM.
    FTW )

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whistler For This Useful Post:

K9F (06-03-2018), vince1200custom (06-03-2018)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    ....You really are an ignorant prick at times, for all your knowledge and expertise, that really is very helpful........you really get it wrong with people.
    +1 nuff said!

Removed pillion seat and fitted rack in preparation for Hamburg in two weeks time.

Best simple mod was getting a cracking and unbelievable deal on a single cylinder KTM Duke 390. It scratches the itches that the Harley can't quite reach and is my daily commuter.

Last edited by K9F; 06-03-2018 at 08:30 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

Whistler (06-03-2018)

My Ride
    Looking good in preparation for Hamburg, hope you enjoy it. Bikes looking good. We've booked a trike for one of the days were at Prague Harley days. Still not keen on taking a million on bike, but trike seemed a good compromise.
    FTW )

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Whistler For This Useful Post:

K9F (06-03-2018)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Thanks!

Trikes have captivated my interest of late. There are some great offerings out there. A couple of forum members elsewhere have converted their Softails to trikes at home using a Frankenstein kit. They do kits for just about every Harley model. Great looking bikes.

http://frankensteintrikes.com/

If money was no option and the need there Exile trikes for me would be the way to go and they have a UK based dealer too. Now they may be impractical but they are badass looking with a choice of engines. Not sure about the lack of a front brake though?

Last edited by K9F; 06-03-2018 at 09:24 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

Whistler (06-03-2018)

My Ride
    I just want to clarify my thread. It wasn't about technical ability (or lack of). It wasn't about high tech mods. I wasnt about being of feeling insulted, or feeling I had to stand up for myself. It was simply my approach and vision for my bike. There are plenty of technical threads on the forum, this was my very simple alternative. The results, for me, are perfect.

Footnote: Forums are a great place for lots of things (info, tech advice, sharing knowledge or experience, our love of Harleys etc. They are also a screen where people will say things they wouldn't say face to face to someone in the real. It's not big, it's not clever and I'm not the sort of person that people get that luxury with. There is an element that communication gets misinterpreted ( remember words are only 7% of communication). If it's said in public and I'm offended i will react either verbally or physically. On the forum i will respond. If you want two faced, that's not me, I only do honestly.
    Last edited by Whistler; 06-03-2018 at 09:31 AM.
    FTW )

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Whistler For This Useful Post:

K9F (06-03-2018)

My Ride
    Exile and Frankenstein trikes are really cool. I've booked a Freewheeler. A mate at the Cove has one, it's really smart.
    FTW )

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    It takes a big man to realise a mistake has been made and an even bigger one to apologise. You never know one may be forthcoming for you perhaps?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

Whistler (06-03-2018)

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    It takes a big man to realise a mistake has been made and an even bigger one to apologise. You never know one may be forthcoming for you perhaps?
    Oh, it wasn't an apology.
    FTW )

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Ok Shawn,

I am sorry if you found my post offensive, it wasn't intended as a dig at you, or your mechanical ability, it was more to do with the high costs that H-D franchises charge for their services, around £90 + VAT per hour. It seems that you have a good rapport with Edinburgh H-D, mine is less than harmonious with Leeds H-D.

I won't be posting on the forum again after spending a night in the pub, I don't drink alcohol that much these days and it seems to go straight to my head. I've now deleted the offending post.

When I need help with my Iron, I have some useful mates to help me out, One is a qualified mechanic, one is a professional electrical engineer, one is a full time tyre fitter and another works at a powder coating company, so I can cover most eventualities with any of them. The electrical engineer repaired my idiot light panel after the oil pressure LED failed due to water ingression, it seems to be a common problem with Harley's if they're ridden in the rain. There's no rubber gasket to keep out the water, well done H-D. I got mine fixed for a few brews, a box of 240 Yorkshire tea bags, my mate Roger does enjoy a proper brew.

I feel you and I have always had a good rational understanding on the forum, I don't want is to be ruined by one drunken post by me. I fell asleep after posting and woke up at 2:30 am, that's what alcohol does to me these days, it sends me to sleep.

Regards,

Dave.