Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Ride
    Heritage Softail Classic

Prague Road Trip - Legal Requirements riding in Europe

Just thought I would ask with the 115 Anniversary in Prague ride looming, a few people have mentioned various legal requirements to ride in Europe, anyone here has a list of these travelling form the UK?

Last year touring France, I just got on my bike and went and other than my passport and some money, I took zip.

Other than avoiding Switzerland with the HD loud pipe legislation giving riders fines with anything other than stock pipes, not sure what other countries to avoid or what else to be concerned about other than just ride.
    2015 Heritage Classic
    110 Big Bore HD Kit
    Woods 999-6a cams with Woods High-Capacity Tappets
    HD Large Oil pump
    Screamin’ Eagle® air breather
    Power Vision Tuner - TQ120 & HP116
    Fat Cat 2-1 Pro Exhaust with perforated Baffle

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Low Rider S
    Definitely carry your registration docs for the bike. I have travelled through Switzerland a number of times with loud pipes and have never been stopped, but might have just been lucky. There is quite a list of things you are meant to carry abroad, but I don't think anyone bothers due to the limited space on a bike.

Have a great ride, I will be riding past Prague on the 5th July, but not attending the bash.
    To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world

My Ride
    Wide Glide
    as above, plus insurance and copies scanned into your smart phone, in case you lose the originals

if your bike is legal in the uk, then it is legal in the eu (which is obviously the big deal for the insurance people), irrespective of the local differences

there are many motorcycle websites for guidance on general items, but i cannot find anything definitive about noise

i am going to hamburg first then down to prague thru berlin and vienna, and am quite worried about germany with my pipes too, i intend to mitigate this by not running the bike in villages during the quiet times

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    I'm taking the easy option and flying. .
    FTW )

My Ride
    Wide Glide
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    I'm taking the easy option and flying. .
    each to their own, i have been looking forward to this ride since coming back from the TITG. haven't a scooby how i am going to get the bike back from prague, which route and that. corsica is supposed to be a great place to ride, so maybe a wee detour

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rosswg For This Useful Post:

xbpod (05-31-2018)

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by rosswg View Post
    each to their own, i have been looking forward to this ride since coming back from the TITG. haven't a scooby how i am going to get the bike back from prague, which route and that. corsica is supposed to be a great place to ride, so maybe a wee detour
    I hope you thoroughly enjoy the trip, and find your way back. Done a few euro trips in the past ( Faro, France, Belgium), great fun. Now, due to the fact I won't take a pillion anymore, I dont mind, doing events by alternative means if it means I can go with my missus. I can cover a load of miles at other times. Looking forward to the event.
    FTW )

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    I am off to Hamburg in three weeks time. The obligatory four reflective stickers on your helmet in France is a must if you don't want to get fleeced 135 Euros. Apparently the police over there are making a killing on foreign motorcyclists that do not sport them.

Corsica is well worth a visit. Sardinia is Italy owned and just a stone's throw to the north is the island of Corsica which is French. The difference between the two islands is quite profound. Corsica is exactly like the French Riviera. When I was in the military we used to go to Sardinia each year and often jumped on the short hop ferry from Alghero to Corsica.

Last edited by K9F; 05-31-2018 at 07:18 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    I am off to Hamburg in three weeks time. The obligatory four reflective stickers on your helmet in France is a must if you don't want to get fleeced 135 Euros. Apparently the police over there are making a killing on foreign motorcyclists that do not sport them.

Corsica is well worth a visit. Sardinia is Italy owned and just a stone's throw to the north is the island of Corsica which is French. The difference between the two islands is quite profound. Corsica is exactly like the French Riviera. When I was in the military we used to go to Sardinia each year and often jumped on the short hop ferry from Alghero to Corsica.

Mal, I think the four reflective stickers only applied if the helmet was bought in France. As long as the helmet complies with the EU laws in the country it was bought in then it was OK to use in France. However you must always carry a reflective vest in France for use in an emergency.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Morning Pete,

Apparently not! It used to be a 'grey area' but is being enforced. I am only passing on third party information from someone that was bitten three weeks ago from the UK, to reaffirm looking at various sites (for example drive-france.com) stickers are compulsory as are the sizes and placement position for all riding motorcycles on French roads. The historical idea that armoured protective clothing be compulsory was binned. The hi viz vest is compulsory in many EU countries not just France.

The wearing of gloves is also compulsory in France for both riders and pillions.

https://www.drive-france.com/faqs/motorcycling-france/
    Last edited by K9F; 05-31-2018 at 10:44 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    That's 2 different views In have now read on 2 different web sites, perhaps I will just bypass France.