My Ride
    Harley-Davidson

Forward Controls

I'm considering putting forward controls on my Custom 1200 and have found some on ebay for £85 that look nice enough.
    Has anyone tried them and are they okay? I don't really fancy a ride back from wherever with a dangly leg if one snaps off

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I have some on my 2007 Low which I am considering letting go - I am not sure if I will ever get on with them as I am so used to rearsets on sports and race bikes -(See the 'trade or swap' section)

Be careful with non-genuine ones because as I found out, all the bolts and threads are metric (apart from the ones that bolt into the frame) - although it doesn't really matter with most of them as they are M8 which is identical to the UNC equivalent; the ones on the brake link link rod rose joints are M6 - it doesn't matter with the front rose joint, but the rear one into the master cylinder bell joint should be 1/4" UNF which is larger than M6.

However, as I wanted some adjustment on my brake pedal position, I made an aluminium link rod with new rose joints and UNF socket head screws.

Also, a common occurrence with the non-genuine kits, is that the brake pedal can foul the front header heatshield if the stock exhaust headers have been kept.

I re-profiled the brake pedal on mine so it was clear of the heatshield.

The finish of them seems OK and in general the overall quality is OK, but I can't really comment on the strength of components as nothing has actually broken.

AL

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (05-30-2018), Face (05-30-2018), Westy (05-30-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 883 Iron
    I've had mine for a while now and haven't had any issue, went on easily enough and so far so good. Bought cheaper ones as a trial because i wasn't 100% that i'd get on with them but find them a lot more comfortable so wont be going back to mids.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark881 For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (05-30-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark881 View Post
    I've had mine for a while now and haven't had any issue, went on easily enough and so far so good. Bought cheaper ones as a trial because i wasn't 100% that i'd get on with them but find them a lot more comfortable so wont be going back to mids.
    I bought mine for the same reason as you - I can live with them, but the mid-controls are marginally better for me in some ways - my feet automatically go to them; whereas with the forwards, I have to think where to put them to stop my legs from flailing around in the breeze.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (05-30-2018)