Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by steveket View Post
    Hi Dave and Al, I think that's your names, it's great to ride alone "lone wolf" as The HD World calls it. Ride safe.
    Btw, Dave, I think we have chatted before I'm the guy orinally from Heckmondwike, W Yorkshire just for info, think you are in Haiifax.
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for your post, yes I'm in north west Halifax. I used to ride in groups in the early 1980's, mainly with fellow Triumph owners, I had a succession of Meriden twins TR7RV, T140E a TSX and a T160 Trident. I enjoyed riding as part of a group in those days, we were all in our twenties and still honing our road craft. We used to go to the Lake District, the Peak District, Blackpool and Scarborough were popular and most Sunday's we'd head off to Squire's Cafe in Sherburn-in-Elmet.

One of my mates was "Stove Enamel Dave", I've mentioned about him before, he lived in Gomersal just north of Heckmondwike. I visited Saltaire's Brewery Tap in Shipley on Friday, great beer at £2 a pint, their Saltaire Imperial Stout (8.9 ABV) is only £1 for a 330 ml bottle. I then went into Bradford and called in to Omar's Balti House for a fine Yorkshire curry, Omar's is famous for their "Notorious Naan" it's big enough to satisfy the hungriest Yorkshireman's appetite. Don't you sometimes wish you'd stayed in "God's Own County"?

Regards,

Dave.

imgID17243377.jpg.gallery.jpg
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 05-29-2018 at 02:16 PM.

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Thanks again for re-opening my thread Dave. I am jealous of your Triumph list - and don't get me started on that naan!!

My Eagle is doing fine. I took off the hero blobs (who on earth coined that phrase?), which is tons better, though I am gradually shaving the exhaust away now. But since the tuning thing is so annoying I've begun negotiations about a Stage One. (I figure a second hand set of Street Cannons will reduce the cost significantly, so I can grind the standard pipes to dust, but a Stage One is still getting up towards a grand.)

One thing that is odd is that the bike leans to the right when riding. Not much, but with a heavy rucksack it's much more pronounced. I suppose it's possible that I am, erh, lopsided(?), though it's not shown up on other bikes recently. But what could make a bike lean right a bit (it doesn't want to turn right, just lean)? Bud suggested the tracking and adjusting the shocks - I've done the latter but can't do the former. I've got the bike booked into Riders under the H-D warranty, but what can they check? The bike seems to be happy in a straighht line and does not favour turning one side or the other. The service guy said, "I've never heard of that one before". The bike is only 2-years/3900 miles old with no accident damage, repairs or scrapes. I'm just worried that I'll take it to Riders and they'll fob me off as I have no idea what to ask them to check!

Any pearls would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisOfTheOT For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (06-05-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200C
    Silly question and probably a long shot but are both your rear shocks the same length? (ie there's no mistake with what shocks were packaged and they didn't accidentally pack a 12 and a 13 inch or something daft? ). Have you also checked that there's no rear sub-frame damage that would have the saddle canted off a bit? I really can't think of any other mechanisms which would make it feel like the bike was off to one side other than these things or incorrect wheel alignment and if it was off by that amount it would make cornering very obviously different left to right and probably quite unsafe too.

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Morning Bud - your question about shock length might be 'a long shot', but it's certainly not silly bearing in mind that the shocks (and saddle) were changed at Cheltenham. Also, I do not remember it leaning on the test ride of an hour or so. (Of course, I was nearly peeing my pants with excitment the whole time so may not have been concerntrating entirely the way I should have been. That 'patina' certainly got by me...)

Still, since Hagon supply shocks at varying lengths in 10mm increments, it's a good idea to measure them. I've even got a tape measure and everything. I did 'look the frame over' in (and outside) the showroom, and I felt it in parts for corrosion or creases. I assume a 'bent' subframe would also knock the tracking out? If so, it's another good reason to follow your suggestion to check it (which I did ask them to do 'cos I didn't know what else to say!).

I'm going East over the weekend to see my brother so I'll get him in the saddle too - it'll be a very useful second opinion (embarrassing if I do turn out to be 'lopsided' though...). The bike's in to Riders at the end of the month so we'll see, I guess.

Cheers Bud,

Chris

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200C
    Riders are ok Chris. Cheltenham have proved to be a nightmare time and time again and can't seem to get things ordered right, done right or costed right. Lack of communication there drives me potty. The cheif mech is a good guy though as is the service manager.

If it was ok on the test ride, it ought to be ok now so it's a mystery that one but look forward to hearing the outcome. There wont be any corrosion on a bike that new and there didn't appear to be any accident damage so my money's on a wheel alignment issue or shocks being different lengths or spring rate on one differing to the other or something similar.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Low Rider S
    Chris, being lopsided should not be ruled out . I went to a stunt day a few years ago and found out that was my case, never noticed it in years of riding, but the instructor noticed it as all my wheelies slightly went to one side. I put it down to being a short arse and having to move to one side of the seat when putting a foot down to stop.
    To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Thanks xbpod - I feel very supported at potentially being, erm, lopsided.

However, I put on one of Dave's security bolt sets today (for the saddle) and realised that the saddle does not line up with the tank: it's about ½" left of centre. I took it off and see that there's no locator socket in the centre of the saddle, like wot Harley saddles have, just a hole in the saddle base. (I assume this is normal for Mustangs? I'll Bing it in a minute - because Google will not let me do UK specific searches. What's that about?) Everything else lines up properly, it's jus that the saddle sits left of centre and nothing I do pushes it to centre once it's pressed down. I'll be getting the original saddle back in a couple of days so I'll give that another go next week.

Anyway, for now I can't centre the saddle so I'll use it slightly askew - I can manage. But the leaning thing now seems to be the saddle: Bud - score another one for you! (I measured the shocks and they are the same length.) No idea what to do about the saddle yet though...

Cheers,

Chris

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisOfTheOT For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (06-09-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200C
    Wow...an off centre saddle proved to be the culprit! I'd possibly look at exchanging the saddle Chris as something's not quite right if it can't be fitted square and centred.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BuckhornBud For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (06-09-2018)

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Yes Bud - I'll ask Riders in a couple of weeks. It might be good to try another single seat, just to see. The Mustang pulls itself to the left, touching at the back and at the front where the tank bolt sticks out a bit (with a rubber protector on it). The right side does not touch anywhere...? I've taken the little rubber protector off the tank bolt end, covered it with some canvas twill 'cos it's snugger, and used a cable tie to pull the seat 'tongue' as far back right as I can. Not exactly ideal but it reduces the 'leftiness' by about a half.

Who'd have thunk it, erh?

Cheers,

Chris

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    'To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world.'

xbpod: your sig is about the best I've seen - good job!

Cheers,

Chris

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisOfTheOT For This Useful Post:

xbpod (06-17-2018)