Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by steveket View Post
    ... there are plenty of "dings&dents" repairers for cars who will come to your house and do a repair on your driveway... They have done the odd door ding for me for around £50-£80... it's quite a skill and I was thoroughly impressed...
    That's a good point Steve - it hadn't occured to me. However, Bud has me weeping into my beer because I need a fuel tunning thing so I have to save everything for that now. (Plus, Dave said to see the 'ding' and 'patina'. And you don't wanna upset Dave - he's from Yorkshire!)

That said, I am intrigued enough to have to Google it now!

Cheers,

Chris

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson iRON 883
    I cant comment on ding removal but a few years ago my ex wife's car was keyed, we had chips away come and the results were absolutely fantastic the scratches were totally repaired, it was a fantastic job and not too expensive.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Forty Eight
    Hi to all, and Chris; I’m from Leeds originally but now on the South coast. I’ve been full stage one after 1000 mile service and now done 12000 on 3years. With EFI, you just don’t have a choice but to tune. I got a deal with V&H slash cuts and a V&H Fuelpak3. I did a “cheap chinese” Rough Crafts air-cleaner and tune it myself using my iPad-simple just follow the instructions- piece of cake. There’s loads of folk who are Fuelpak3 users and to me, it’s worth it. The effect on the bike after tuning is clear. Everything you might expect happens, smoother torque, no flatspots, my 48 just goes well with the tuning I dailed in. It was not too bad before but there were too many pops and bangs, and after tuning now, just a very occasionally when I want it to! You can select baffle choice too of course. If you go the dyno route instead, you’ll have to repeat this if you select different future exhausts - you never know. Presently, for example, my V&H standard baffles are in, (these are not the extra quiet ones that some swap to, as even the standard ones are just too noisy for some), however, I might take even these out just for a change, with my Fuelpak3, I just dial in again and change to ‘no baffle”, whereas I without it, it would be another dyno run cost. On the baffle point, leaving the standard baffles in, is said to help maintain optimum useable torque, which I like, that’s why I have left them in. Even after a “no baffle tuning” with my Fuelpak3, it’s more for getting the fuel/air mixture as best it can be and whilst there maybe slightly more topend (hardly bothers me) the useable torque is likely to be slightly reduced. This is all marginal and personal choice. (I use my Kawasaki for my faster rides and trips to the Nurburgring). From my experience, Harley’s are just great great fun and I cannot stop smiling every time I ride. Think of your Harley as a baseline now, as you can’t ever help stop thinking about changing stuff, it’s part of the Harley life! I have also done quite a few three/four day touring trips on my 48 and with a springer seat, it’s actually been quite comfortable. I ride an hour at a time so re-fueling a small tank never bothers that much. Got off, after all day riding, I was shocked the first time as I had almost no aches n pains. Anyway, to recap, having my own tuner has and continues to be blinking useful.
    Last edited by steveket; 05-26-2018 at 07:47 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steveket For This Useful Post:

andyrattle (05-26-2018), Spurtle (05-26-2018)

My Ride
    A proper bike
    It can do Chris as you have extra grunt so don't need to rev the bike as much, especially for the hills. My last trip out saw 55mpg and easily. Even if I really tank it, mpg rarely drops below low 40's. Making an engine run more efficiently and deliver grunt low down I have found usually translates to better economy (found this with cars too) and you only suffer with poorer mpg when you open the throttle hard or run at higher revs.

My Ride
    The Fuelpak3 can store several maps - the stock one (it does this as soon as you use it for safety), then you can select your best match map to your mods, and this is my main point; you can ride with the Fuelpak3 attached to your bike in “autotune mode for hours, days or even weeks. This programme feature takes your selected map and then constantly fine tunes it as you ride, a permanent dyno run if you like. Whilst in autotune you need to try have moved through all the rev ranges in all the gears and ride are varying speeds - the more you do / the better the tune. The live digital display through your app colour codes the map completion. Once you’re happy download this as another newer map once you’re back home and connected to the V&H server. Apart from the autotune time, the Fuelpak3 works through your app connected online to the V&H server - all through your VIN number which it reads and stores automatically. You can store around 10 or more maps I believe. So, again whilst a dyno run is great, I prefer my independence and autotune is my very own dyno run. Just saying what a clever device this, even at the price.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to steveket For This Useful Post:

Johnnythefox (05-27-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    What a palaver - give me carbs any day.

I hate damn technology - but then, I am an old bugger.

I don't have an 'I' anything; I still use hi-fi; I use desktop PCs; and I don't want my PC and broadband feeding my TV.

I much prefer the days when my TR4 developed a misfire and I was able to trace and cure it quickly; or when my Guzzi seemed to be a bit off colour so just by listening and watching the slides in a mirror, I could balance the carbs in a couple of minutes.

It seems to me that these days anything that is supposed to improve 'life', warrants spending a fortune just to watch something on a screen of some sort; or pay someone else to do it.

I reckon we are all being had over and well shafted.

AL

My Ride
    2017 Harley-Davidson XL1200T
    The other features of the FP3 I like are:
    A if your error lamp comes on the FP3 will display (through your smartphone) the error codes. The FP3 can be used on any bike (that it is suitable for) to show error codes.
    B With your smartphone suitably mounted on your bike you can use it to show the various sensor outputs the bike has like temperature, revs, gears, and as steve mentioned during the autotune runs to see how the table is being filled in.

You have a couple choices during the autotuned; you can ride like you feel like you will never do anything different and do it on the various roads you will likely ride on complete with the gradients or you can find all the many different gradients that will allow you to load up the engine and go from very little throttle opening to full throttle in every gear.

The output on the phone will show you how you are doing with getting the table filled in.

Whilst doing autotune you are running the bike on the map in place and the autotuned values are not being used at the same time. It is not real time if that makes sense.

There is a couple of good guides I found by googling.

Mileage:
    That 4.5 gallon tank is a US gallon. It is 3.75 Imperial gallons or 17 litres.

Out riding yesterday 2 up going upto around 80 and then dodging through London traffic I got 121 miles before the petrol light came on. When that happens I have around 5 litres left.

A stage 1 will not necessarily improve fuel economy and is likely to see fuel consumption go up a bit.

That big old screen is going to hit fuel economy also!
    Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 05-27-2018 at 09:18 AM.

My Ride
    I agree, carbs are great, but sometimes we all forget the bad days when the blinking things made starting very difficult on older bikes. Anyhow, though the Fuelpak3 sounds a palaver, when you try to describe the process in words ( like a lot of mech jobs), it is in reality actually very easy, and you only need do this once.
    I opened the new kit, uploaded the tune to match my stage one setup, which took less than 5 mins, went for a longish ride in auto tune, noticed it was very good anyway, noticed my 48 was riding like a dream, came home, unplugged and thought that'll do. It was really that easy. Fuel injection, for me, is better than changing jets, which I pretty much never seemed to master, lol !
    Last edited by steveket; 05-27-2018 at 09:23 AM.

My Ride
    Hi, to Gettin on a bit and help. Whilst I can master mechanics, electrical systems, and Fuelpak3s, I am failing to manage to create a profile pic. The little pic that comes up when we post a comment. I have three pics in a home folder, one of which I'll think I'll use, and I thought I had created a folder called profile. Can give a step guide to creating my little icon pic please. I am on an iPad (drag and drop seems to fail). I'm sure it's simple, but struggling! Cheers

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Given Al's post above, Steve ('I don't have an 'I' anything...'), I suspect you're asking the wrong guy!

Cheers,

Chris