My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Iron 883

Unhappy New Dorset Member

HI All,

new Forum Member and a new rider to HD, got a 4 week old iron 883 loved it,
    6 days of great fun and then still in the HD shop Southampton with a failed ECU for the last 3 weeks
    so have got a bit cheesed off, love the bike - crap service and support
    so even though I am new some advice please
    contacted them ECU Replaced but lots of pending codes also bike runs good they cant clear the faults and awaiting for HD technical to
    respond.

they offerd a loan replacement - which will be PDI's

I'm about to start paying finance on it next week - do I reject the bike ask for a replacement, or refuse to pay
    ask for compensation etc,
    help would be great

My Ride
    '16 Iron
    Hi Mark! Welcome and sorry to hear of your disappointment. That's just awful! I think I'd be pushing for a replacement bike, maybe ring HD GB and see what they say. Not sure where you stand not paying the monthly payment but as the bike is not fit for purpose. I'd be telling Soton HD that their crap service is now on here! Hope you get summat sorted soon.

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hello Mark,

Welcome to the forum from Calderdale in West Yorkshire,

I've owned my 2011 Iron from new, my Iron's ECU failed after just 22 months and only 1500 miles. It seems that this is a common fault with Sportster's, cheaply made Chinese manufactured ECU to blame.

To cut a long story short I had problems getting my ECU replaced under the warranty by Leeds H-D. I bought my Iron from Preston H-D due to the Leeds dealership going into liquidation at that time. I informed Preston H-D that Leeds wanted me to pay £600 for a new ECU unit even though there was still 2 months warranty left.

Preston H-D reported Leeds H-D to Harley-Davidson UK, they told Leeds H-D to get on with the work as it was a genuine warranty claim.

If you're having trouble with Southhampton H-D, it would do no harm to inform H-D UK of your experience.

Best of luck.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Iron 883
    thanks so far ECU has been replaced but there are still pending codes listing, bike runs good (apparantly)
    emails to and from HD technical to resolve dealer is saying takes up to 2 days each time

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Most definitly. HD UK are pretty tight on their dealer's when it comes to quality. Thought Southampton HD had a good reputation. Your bikes still under warranty, so will get fixed. Wouldn't advise withholding payment. It'll just mean you breach the contract and affect your credit rating.
    FTW )

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Whistler For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (05-19-2018)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Mark as a new member I highlighted the fact that I had sent you a 'personal message' on this issue on the other thread. If you go to 'Notifications' in the bannerhead it should still be sat there. Good luck with your current issue! I am going to DG20 this morning for a service on the Breakout in preparation for my trip to Hamburg four weeks time! You want Southampton to pull out all the stops? Be careful what you post in the Public Domain.

Quote Originally Posted by markjones1971 View Post
    ......still in the HD shop Southampton with a failed ECU for the last 3 weeks
    so have got a bit cheesed off, love the bike - crap service and support......
    Quote Originally Posted by Not too old View Post
    ..... I'd be telling Soton HD that their crap service is now on here!......
    I'll be telling them this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    ......Thought Southampton HD had a good reputation. Your bikes still under warranty, so will get fixed. Wouldn't advise withholding payment. It'll just mean you breach the contract and affect your credit rating.
    Good advice from Whistler!

Southampton do have a good reputation and I am sure they will do all they can to protect that which they have taken so long to rebuild after the previous owners when they closed unexpectedly and had the threat of franchise removal several years ago in 2010.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/8741...ership_closes/

Forums do not as a rule contain good news but do contain often 'ill-formed opinions' based on misguided or half truth information. They have offered you a replacement loan bike, take them up on the offer and ride it like you stole it. Negotiate some form of remuneration for your inconvenience and time I am sure they will meet you half way or thereabouts?

The bike belongs to the franchise company not Southampton HD. Not paying the payment will place you yourself in mire. If the finance company are any good and as the bike is theirs they too can apply understanding and pressure to get you a satisfactory resolution, after all as stated it is also in the franchise company's interest to keep you happy and the payments rolling in. Good luck.
    You can also get consumer advice from Bournemouth trading standards if you feel aggrieved or simply want to check out your options from a professional standpoint.

https://bournemouth.gov.uk/Business/...Standards.aspx
    Last edited by K9F; 05-19-2018 at 07:41 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

Whistler (05-19-2018)

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    I agree. Forums can be full of bad advice and negativity at times. If you believed all the shit about harleys, your never buy one. Cant fault my HD experience so far. By no means perfect, but problem solving and service has been second to none.
    Last edited by Whistler; 05-19-2018 at 04:59 PM.
    FTW )