Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    By the way - no rear light facing backwards should be anything other than red (or orange in the case of indicators).

The number plate light must not point rearwards.

AL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gettin'onabit; 05-16-2018 at 01:43 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (05-16-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 883 Iron
    The number plate doesn't have to be lit, that was clarified by the MOT test centre and also all the people that have side plates with no lighting, like myself.
    Last edited by Mark881; 05-16-2018 at 03:18 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark881 For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (05-16-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisOfTheOT View Post
    Dave, I note that you have a mudguard mounted plate on your Iron. I've seen several of these mounts on eBay - do you have to cut the mudguard for it to fit?

Cheers,

Chris

Hello Chris,

My rear mudguard plate mount is the stock fitment for all EU registered Iron, Nightster, Forty-Eight and Seventy-Two models. These Sportster's have a chopped rear mudguard for the USA, side mounted plates are legal over there. The above models also have the 3 in 1 LED rear lights, the tail and brake lights are built into the indicator sealed units. The plastic EU plate mount has the light for the registration plate built into it, it's often called a "pig nose" because of it's shape.

The Custom, Low and Superlow models have a full sized rear mudguard with a separate tail light mounted on it. The pig nose plate holders r=that you've seen on eBay will be from Iron's that have had a side mounted plate conversion, the owners sell the stock plate holder to pay towards the cost of the side plate mount.

side_mount_01.jpg IMG_20130603_211336-1-1 (2).jpg

I hope that's answered your question.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

ChrisOfTheOT (05-16-2018)

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Indeed it does Dave, an excellent explanation, as usual. (Did you used to be a teacher?)

It seems this is one mod too far for me: at least for the next year or two. (Also, I note there's no reflector. I'm going to Google Irons now, just to see...)

Thanks again Dave,

Chris

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin'onabit View Post
    The number plate light must not point rearwards.
    Hey Al - I note the high plate in the picture, but with the rack. Which rack is that? I did not think those contoured racks would fit, but if they do, I may not need to move the plate anyway.

Cheers,

Chris

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark881 View Post
    The number plate doesn't have to be lit, that was clarified by the MOT test centre and also all the people that have side plates with no lighting, like myself.
    Yes it does need to be lit:

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 Regulation 18

SCHEDULE 15 requirements relating to obligatory rear registration plate lamps

1. Number:
    Such that the lamp or lamps are capable of adequately illuminating the rear registration plate
    2. Position:
    Such that the lamp or lamps are capable of adequately illuminating the rear registration plate
    3. Angles of visibility:
    4. Alignment:

However; for those that say it is not part of the MOT test, I suggest you read this:

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov....nuals/class12/

And for those people with reflectors on their side mounted plates, I suggest you move them to the centre of the rear of the bike.
    Last edited by Gettin'onabit; 05-16-2018 at 04:28 PM.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Hey Al - I note the high plate in the picture, but with the rack. Which rack is that? I did not think those contoured racks would fit, but if they do, I may not need to move the plate anyway.

Cheers,

Chris
    The rack is similar to the one shown in Dave's photo; only chrome - I don't know which manufacturer.

However; IMO that type of rack is pretty effing useless.

My number plate is the UK legal size mounted on a polished aluminum sheet backing plate which I made; then mounted on a chrome layback mount (possibly genuine HD) which takes and illegal size UK plate.

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Indeed it does Dave, an excellent explanation, as usual. (Did you used to be a teacher?)

It seems this is one mod too far for me: at least for the next year or two. (Also, I note there's no reflector. I'm going to Google Irons now, just to see...)

Thanks again Dave,

Chris

Hi Chris,

No I've never been a teacher, I worked in the engineering industry for most of my working life. I like to explain things in a way that anyone can understand them.

There is a stock reflector on the Iron. it is sandwiched between the plastic mount and the registration plate. On 2009 to 2015 models it hangs beneath the plate, on 2016 - up models the reflector is above the pig nose lamp. See the photos.

s-l502011.jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg

Here is mine on my Iron.

IMG_20130603_211336-1-1 (3).jpg

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin'onabit View Post
    The rack is similar to the one shown in Dave's photo; only chrome - I don't know which manufacturer.

However; IMO that type of rack is pretty effing useless.

My number plate is the UK legal size mounted on a polished aluminum sheet backing plate which I made; then mounted on a chrome layback mount (possibly genuine HD) which takes and illegal size UK plate.

That type of rack is made in the USA by a company called Motherwell, genuine Motherwell racks are expensive, mine is a cheap Chinese copy. The paint has started coming off mine after six and a half years so I'm having it powder coated. The Chinese racks are available on eBay, aliexpress.com and banggood.com.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200L
    Mine has the bobbed rear guard with numberplate under.
    Attached Images Attached Images