My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom

Harley Originals Warranty - I've never heard of it before this

I got a letter just now from 'Harley-Davidson Warranty Services' confirming the 2016 1200 Custom I am about to buy is 'registered'. I got a policy booklet which seems to offer a guarantee for the bike saying 'this is the confirmation that the Warranty application has been accepted'. However, it also says 'cover' is not valid until 'the correct premium has been recieved by The Insurer...'; and I never applied for any insurance anyway.

Is this a pukka Harley second-hand bike guarantee? If so, do I need to pay 'the correct premium'? What is your experience of this 'Harley Originals Warranty'? It sounds good but it's all news to me!

Cheers,

Chris

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    It is a genuine item which you pay for - probably about £500 now - it covers you for failures etc for two years IIRC.

I think it also covered breakdown and transport to a main dealer.

What you have to decide is how much you will ride the bike in those two years to determine if the warranty is worth it - for example; if something major packs up in those two years which will cost more than £500 to fix (by an HD main dealer) it is worth it; but if you only do about 2000 miles in two years and nothing fails, then it is a waste of £500 IMO.

However, not having the HD Originals Warranty doesn't diminish whatever warranty the dealer is giving you - the HD Originals is an extra.

I knew my mileage and use of my bike would be low owing to intermittent and ongoing health issues; so I decided not to take the HD Warranty - so far I seem to have been proved correct with that decision.

PS: Sometimes (but rare IMO) if you have really nice dealer, they will provide the HD warranty as a part of the deal, although you probably end up paying for most of it within the overall purchase price.

However, I am surprised the dealer didn't offer you the HD warranty, regardless of who pays for it.

AL
    Last edited by Gettin'onabit; 05-15-2018 at 12:09 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

ChrisOfTheOT (05-16-2018), Whistler (05-15-2018)

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Thanks Al - I was certainly not offered the H-D warranty 'as part of the deal'! (And, as far as I remember, no warranty was mentioned at all - perhaps I am just forgetting?)

While the warranty sounds good - and it does include break down, home start, lift to dealer, overnight hotel & one day bike hire (all to certain modest limits) - I can't throw another £500 at this so I'll have to pass.

Thanks again Al - I'm loving this whole shared knowledge thing.

Cheers,

Chris

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Thanks Al - some very useful links. I did not see the Cheltenham H-D (Blade Grp.) warranty guff becuase it's under the 'Financial Services' tab. However, they offer:

HARLEY ORIGINALS WARRANTY™

12 month extensive warranty and roadside assistance package with the same benefits as our HARLEY OPTIMUM WARRANTY™ that we provide for new motorcycles, that’s a sign of how confident we are in our used machines!

Whilst our used bikes are supplied with an extensive 12 month warranty you can extend this for an additional 24 months, your dealer should inform you of the options available.

Sounds good enough, but the same warranty scenario from Scotland seems different:

Edinburgh say:

Harley Mechanical Warranty comes as standard with all Harley-Davidson Originals used bikes ... when your Harley-Davidson has passed the rigorous 99 point check will a warranty be issued. It will last for a year and you also have the option to extend the warranty for a further one or two years to ensure that you and your motorcycle are protected longer.

Similarly, Lakeside say:

... On all Originals motorcycles... Our Technicians also do a thorough 99-point inspection and, if it passes the examination, we provide a free 12 months Harley Mechanical Warranty™ and Harley Rescue and Recovery™

The problem for me is described by Southampton H-D - the link you offer is great because the huge page banner reads: 'HARLEY-DAVIDSON ORIGINALS PRE-OWNED MOTORCYCLES - They're just getting warmed up'. (Sweet!) So I'm clear on what I'm looking at, but the small print at the bottom describes several different warranty products which all seem the same to me. Pluse they note taht 'HARLEY | MECHANICAL WARRANTY™ and HARLEY | RESCUE & RECOVERY™ are provided by Harley-Davidson Warranty Services' - which (I thought) was the £500 jobbie above.

Similarly, the Cheletenham site offers, 'HARLEY OPTIMUM WARRANTY™' and 'HARLEY-DAVIDSON® ORIGINALS', which is seperate from 'HARLEY ORIGINALS WARRANTY™' but Rescue and Recovery is said to be offered for the for the first (new bikes) and third options (second hand). So is 'an extensive 12 month warranty' the same as Harley Originals Warranty??

I am now confused, but encouraged because there is clearly some sort of H-D backed guarantee available for used bikes. "That'll do Donkey."

I especially like the Edingburgh warranty pages because they're the only ones with an attractive young lady on them.

Phew.

Chris

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200L
    Bought my 2009 XL1200L from HarleyWorld last March and it came with the HD Originals 12 month warranty as part of the deal. Any problems and they picked it up, sorted it out and delivered it back, superb service.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    IIRC the one year HD Originals Warranty would cost about £250 if you have to pay for it yourself and it isn't part of the deal.

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Pete's right with this one Al - Jamie said the Harlely guarantee is one year for second hand and two years for new. Either way, it is all part of the deal so I now have a pukka one year Harley guarantee, with break down etc. I was most impressed with this! (The cost comes in if you chose to extend the one year to two - which Harely offer.)

Cheers,

Chris