My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Street Bob

Suspension Upgrade

Hi I was thinking of upgrading the Stock suspension on my 2014 FDXB Street Bob and was wondering whether anyone has any recommendations, (was contemplating installing Ohlins) is it a worthwhile thing to do, would it significantly improve performance/ride quality etc?

My Ride
    Dyna Superglide
    A change to 15-20W oil in the front forks, as well as a set of performance springs or burley springs will make a huge difference up front. You can also put on a fork brace(though I think it made much more of a difference putting a brace on the old 39mm front end). Ohlins aren't cheap at all, tho. You have a couple of other options if you hunt about. If you ask me, though, Ohlins with remote reservoirs are a waste on an HD unless you find yourself on a dirt track. You will just not heat up the oil enough on a standard shock. You can not push that frame hard enough to warrant a hi po rear suspension without killing yourself streetside for lack of ground clearance. If you have rippled roads, I can see it being a benefit, tho. Or if you raise your over all suspension. Otherwise a simple uprated set of springs out back would do. If you make mods, be aware you'll now need to upgrade those brakes if you plan to truly take advantage of those suspension mods. HD brakes are terrible. Just terrible. Hopefully they upgraded the ones on the new softails.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to reindeer For This Useful Post:

charlie1 (05-15-2018)

My Ride
    A proper bike
    Try Hagon. Excellent vfm, rebuildable and they are a pleasure to deal with. I replaced the emulsion suspension shocks on my 2017 sportster because they were inadequate. The Hagon Nitros I replaced them with are a revelation and at £400 the pair were a bargain. Ohlins are great. If I had the money, that's what I would have fitted. If you can afford Ohlins and wouldn't miss the money, I'd go straight to those. No good suspension is wasted on any bike you intend to keep and Ohlins are about as good as it gets.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BuckhornBud For This Useful Post:

charlie1 (06-29-2018)

My Ride
    2011 WideGlide
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie1 View Post
    Hi I was thinking of upgrading the Stock suspension on my 2014 FDXB Street Bob and was wondering whether anyone has any recommendations, (was contemplating installing Ohlins) is it a worthwhile thing to do, would it significantly improve performance/ride quality etc?

Hagon Nitros 12” 30kg straight spring with 3” of movement and 3/4” rider sag leaving compression/rebound in the middle are good. Had them on my WideGlide. Took em off for a pair of black fat bob ones just for the look

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wideride96 For This Useful Post:

charlie1 (06-29-2018)