My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Softail

Battery discharge/short.

Hi, my new battery is losing charge on my 1994 Softail if not run or put on trickle charge, I suspect a short somewhere. Is there an obvious place to start, ie regulator, or is it a case of biting the bullet and going through the whole bike? I'm not good on electrics, but I've got a multi meter if someone could point me in the right direction? TIA, Alex.

My Ride
    1999 Super Glide
    A volt meter won't help much in finding a short unfortunately, an inline or clamp amp meter would help a little. It would give you an idea how big the drain is.
    An easy one is to disconnect the battery and check the voltage drop over night with your volt meter, that will rule out a bad battery.
    Next i would suggest disconnecting all the big item like the regulator, ignition, alternator, indicator relay. Don't forget the handlebar switches. Then leave over night again and checking voltage.
    Reinstate each component and check over night for each.
    Long drawn out process but it will eliminate each component.
    As it's a slow drain you can almost rule out shorts to earth as this would show up quite drastically, and pretty terminally.
    Hope this helps a bit.

Where about are you?

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    A fused ammeter is your best weapon of choice. Remove disconnect your mega fuse and place the ammeter in the circuit in lieu of the mega fuse. You will then see what (if anything) is being drawn from your battery. Then start with your fuses pulling them one by one and seeing if the current draw ceases. If this doesn't nail it down then move on to your relays. Shouldn't take more than an hour to nail down what is drawing current. Good luck.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    a mult meter is an amp meter and a volt meter (an Ohmmeter too) it will have an internal fuse as well. So it can be a fused ammeter or a volt meter...