Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    All XL Sportster's do indeed use the same frame, the lower bars and mid controls can make the Iron 883 feel a bit cramped for taller riders. There a thousands of accessories for Sportster's to custom tailor your ride to your exact requirements. Mini-apes, forward controls and a different seat options can help taller riders to feel comfortable on a Sporty.

The stock Iron 883 is like a blank canvas, you can customise it as much or as little as you like. The world is your oyster as they say.
    I concur with my learned friend
    FTW )

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Whistler For This Useful Post:

Greybeard (05-04-2018)

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Hi greybeard. There's a fair few of us on here that are of a mature nature, with the varied aches and pains life brings. Sportsters are quite good handling bikes, easy to ride and great fun. Let us know how you get on.
    FTW )

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Whistler For This Useful Post:

Greybeard (05-04-2018)

My Ride
    Undecided
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisOfTheOT View Post
    Evening Greybeard - nice to meet ya'. I too have "age related aches and pains" and was very worried about bike weight (and size, I suppose). I had to let my VX800 go last year because riding it was so painful. I didn't think I'd ever consider a Harley but, you know, age does stuff to you...

... the weight got more and more important: I cannot push a heavy bike around anymore....

Chris

Hi Chris, that is exactly my issue and hence why I favour a bike with a low centre of gravity, and a smaller tank of fuel that adds to the weight up top. Thanks for your comprehensive reply.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Hiya son, am onto my 4th Sportster now cos of similar probs to yourself, latest one is a 2007 model and unlike most other bikes of similar size I can get it out the shed up my wee ramp no probs, it's also fairly light to ride.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bomber Harris For This Useful Post:

Greybeard (05-06-2018)

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
    Hi Chris, that is exactly my issue and hence why I favour a bike with a low centre of gravity, and a smaller tank of fuel that adds to the weight up top. Thanks for your comprehensive reply.
    My pleasure Greybeard - glad it helped.

Cheers,

Chris

My Ride
    Sportster 1200 ca
    Hi Greybeard
    I have a 2015 Custom CA and apart from the shocking seat (I don't have my own padding) and the poor shocks it's a great bike. I wouldn't worry about the handling as you'll run out of ground clearance long before it becomes a problem.
    This all sounds a bit bad but it really is a lovely bike, sure it's no sports bike or GS but then it wouldn't be a Harley if it was. Needless to say I love mine faults and all.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike B For This Useful Post:

Greybeard (05-11-2018)

My Ride
    A proper bike
    Hi Greybeard. Buy with confidence. I have similar issues to you with damaged hip, knackered lower back and other injuries from a life of extreme sports, accidents and illnesses and suffering the consequences from injuries incurred, now in middle age.

The only word of advice is not to pick mid controls if you have a damaged lower back. Trust me, you'll live to regret it. If you can find a good 1200C with the forward controls, that's about perfect for those with back issues and all day comfortable with a few tweaks. Handling is good but ground clearance limited but it can be improved. I changed the pegs on mine for angled mini running boards (no hero blobs) and swapped stock rear suspension for the far better Hagon Nitro shocks increasing travel from 2 to 3 inches. This gained a little ground clearance and also helped quicken the steering a little. Nothing excessive, but very very worth-while.

The bike handles very nicely and has more than enough grunt. Mine is full stage 1 and tuned on a dyno for 78ft-lbs torque and 75BHP all at the back wheel which makes for a spirited ride, effortless overtakes and more than sufficient grunt for effortless 2-up touring. I compared it with a Dyna, Fat Boy and Heritage softail and the Sportster felt a little nippier to me than any of those, despite the displacement disadvantage (being much lighter helps). Only a Dyna Low Rider S was quicker in a straight line but was also slower handling and more cumbersome. I wouldn't swap mine for anything and now have quick detach Harley panniers coming as I fancy the bagger look and for touring.

As per Mike B's advice the standard seat really is better changed for the more sumptuous Sundowner saddle; that and suspension upgrades make a world of difference to comfort. On the local twisty B-roads, a good rider on a well sorted and tuned Sportster would not disgrace themselves to most riders on sportsbikes but the real limiting factors will always be mass and ground clearance, as well as only just adequate brakes. Twin set ups would be my preference up front, but you soon learnt to ride a Sportster in a more relaxed manner and it becomes more rewarding for that. You have to ride them smoothly, pick your lines well and use the throttle to gently roll on and off the speed rather than run quickly into bends using brakes to scrub speed like you might on a lightweight sportsbike. People who moan about lack of relative performance simply don't get it. The magic of a 1200 sportster is in having more than enough grunt and it being the most nimble of all the Harleys which combined with its 1950's styling, signature exhaust note, styling and relative simplicity endear it to many as just about the perfect fun motorcycle. It also helps that it is about the most developed of the Harleys too and has proven to be one of the most reliable longer term.
    Last edited by BuckhornBud; 05-09-2018 at 05:33 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BuckhornBud For This Useful Post:

Greybeard (05-11-2018)

My Ride
    '16 Iron
    I’ll add to BB’s post that Avon Cobra tyres will give you a more comfy ride too as the sidewalls are more compliant as well as confidence inspiring with their grip!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Not too old For This Useful Post:

Greybeard (05-11-2018)

My Ride
    Undecided
    Great response Buck, many thanks. I am now in active purchase mode!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200L
    I have a 2009 1200L and have done much the same as BuckhornBud, longer shocks, Hagon progressive fork springs etc. Mine came with a Sundowner seat and forwards and fits my 29” legged, 5’ 10”, 16 stone 67 year old frame perfectly. The 1200L has a 19” front wheel so handles well with the increased ground clearance of the longer shocks. Test ride loads before you buy, because they are all different, but you will still alter it after a few months and spend shed loads on extras!
    Have fun 😉👍
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Oldvelonut; 05-12-2018 at 02:43 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Oldvelonut For This Useful Post:

Greybeard (05-13-2018)