Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Forty Eight

Vance and Hines exhausts

Good morning

I have been researching exhausts for my 48 and whilst thinking about adding Screamin Eagle Street Cannons, I can’t help but feel i might regret this. Saying that i am rather drawn to the V&H 3” Slash Pipe mufflers. They sound/look great. On the A R Harley website they are reasonably priced, but then listed in the same category are these EC compliant variation, which are £600 dearer!
    On further research it was going on about road legality and that these were not street legal etc. A couple of forums have mentioned Police getting funny with after market exhausts from V&H etc. Etc.

Can anybody out there advise? Would having a set of V&H 3” Slash pipes be illegal? Would they pass an MOT? Does this EC Compliance really matter?

My Ride
    Dyna Superglide
    The slip ons aren't too crazy:

https://youtu.be/RbeIyIkFSfM?t=86

3. The Following User Says Thank You to reindeer For This Useful Post:

HarryG (05-02-2018)

My Ride
    XL883 Low
    Think you might only get grief if their stamped not for road use and the police pick up on it, you could always fit quiet baffles as a last resort, i've never heard of a bike failing MOT on pipes but i have known bikes get an advisory for noise on the MOT certificate if your taking the mick loud.

My Ride
    Dyna Superglide
    Here's my 509G cammed Dyna with short shots with quiet baffles running slightly increased compression and some mild head work on a FuelMoto EFI map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-6iWW3RiJM

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    My V&H Straightshots get MOT advisories 'A bit noisy' or 'A bit loud'; but Mr Pl*d stopped me for a too small number plate when I first got the bike. He didn't nick me, just said get it corrected.

But he did comment on the exhaust being a bit edgy and he looked for the E thingy mark.....I said it won't have one and he didn't know why! - Then having looked for a 'Not for road use' or 'Race only' marking he still wasn't over happy; so I just pointed to the label fixed to the front downtube which gives the dB rating.

That apparently satisfied him and off he went....No unpleasantness, I have to say.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

HU3436 (05-10-2018)

My Ride
    XL883 Low
    Correct me if im wrong but wasnt one of the problems of the harley screamin eagle mufflers that theyre stamped off road use and vance & hines arent could be a myth but thats what i heard some time ago

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Actually, if you look at V&H own literature for the Fuelpak it says:

"NOTICE: Fuelpak is intended for racing or off-highway use only, and is not legal
    for sale or use in California on pollution-controlled vehicles."

I think I have seen something similar for the V&H exhaust systems as well.

But there is nothing else on my Straightshots other than the V&H logo and part numbers.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson VROD Muscle
    Hi Guys,

I have a similar question,

I want to get Vance & Hines 2in1 competition series exhaust for my VROD Muscle and just wanted to check if my bike will pass MOT with it? I know there is a db eater available for it, would you recommend getting it too just in case?

Thanks
    Ben

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BenG For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (05-14-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by BenG View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have a similar question,

I want to get Vance & Hines 2in1 competition series exhaust for my VROD Muscle and just wanted to check if my bike will pass MOT with it? I know there is a db eater available for it, would you recommend getting it too just in case?

Thanks
    Ben

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forum from Calderdale in West Yorkshire.

If the exhaust is for competition use that means it was designed for 'racing' and will be stamped 'NOT FOR ROAD USE' or 'FOR RACING USE ONLY'. These exhausts do not comply with MOT requirements, so if the MOT tester is doing his job correctly he'll fail the exhaust as not fit for purpose.

You could fit a DB eater baffle to quieten the noise, but unless you intend racing your V-Rod, why do you want to fit a competition exhaust system?
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 05-14-2018 at 12:09 PM.

My Ride
    A proper bike
    Try the Khromewerks slash cuts (HP-Plus model). These give a deeper throaty bellow than the V&H ones and can be found cheaper. Build quality is about the best I've seen on aftermarket slash cuts.....very heavy duty, excellent finish and fit and very healthy horsepower and torque gains (there's a thread running State-side on a company tuning website which shows these to give some of the best 2 into 2 horsepower and torque gains of any pipe. They boosted mine when used with a pro-tuner and SE filter to 75BHP up from the dyno'd standard output which was just 67HP and from 72ft-lb to 78 ft-lb.....all figures rear wheel from a dyno test). To better them you have to go to 2-1 systems.

They do not come stamped "not for road use" but have a removable sticker on them ;-)

My friendly local MOT centre says that when the time comes for mine to be MOT'd they'd pass as they're not that noisy compared to some and there's not stamp on them saying not for road use. If it is an issue, you can always just keep the standard pipes and fit those at MOT time.

I spoke with a traffic policeman just two weeks ago (stopped and had a chat with me when I was out and about on the bike....he was a traffic biker). He said that the police are not that concerned about loud pipes on Harleys, or small plates....it wasn't seen as a priority for them. They are more concerned with crims who ride recklessly in towns etc and those doing 3-figure speeds on sportsbikes. Harleys are seen by them as bikes (and bikers) that rarely give them cause for concern.
    Last edited by BuckhornBud; 05-15-2018 at 07:28 AM.