Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panniers

My Ride
    A proper bike

Panniers

It's a real shame that Harley panniers which look to promise really nice build quality hold so little. I spent ages shopping around and found plenty of alternatives from Germany and the USA which offered twice the capacity (needed) but when I actually saw what was on offer, it was a case of false economy. I have to hand it to Harley, the quality of their aftermarket parts is very good indeed, so I have bitten the bullet and bought some of their leather "3000 cubic inch" (ie total for both sides) panniers as a means to store the lunch/waterproofs and bits and bobs for weekend outings.

I have a set of throwovers that I ended up not using going spare if anyone wants them dirt cheap...just drop me a PM and I'll happily help out a fellow sporty rider.

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Morning Bud - I've only just seen your post. Do you still have these panniers?

Cheers,

Chris

My Ride
    A proper bike
    Hi Chris

I do. I was about to put them up on Ebay. They are unused but I have cut little slits in them to take velcro straps to help secure them to the pannier frames, which I also have. You're welcome to them. I paid £275 for those and the frames, but reckoned I paid way too much for them, so happy to let them go for £85 and will throw the frame supports in for free.

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Thanks for the swift reply Bud - I take it these are not H-D bags?

I've still got to sort my handlebar related issues, but your panniers certainly sound interesting. (I am currently using an old rucksack - somewhat basic (and not weather proof) but it does the job.)

Cheers,

Chris

My Ride
    A proper bike
    They were advertised as genuine Harley, and came with Harley badges, but they are not genuine Harley. They're fairly large capacity throw-overs made in a synthetic double satchel...quite tough and look the part. They're perfectly fine if you are happy with standard pannier frames and throwovers. I ended up paying close on £800 for genuine Harley parts as whilst pricey, they ticked the boxes for being removable and high quality semi-rigid leather panniers. I've had to pay for the indicator relocation kit as well (not needed for throwovers).

Transforming a sporty to a bagger is an expensive route but since I've probably sunk over £12K into this bike now, in for a penny...I love the 1200C and no other model would tempt me away for now.

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckhornBud View Post
    They were advertised as genuine Harley, and came with Harley badges, but they are not genuine Harley. They're fairly large capacity throw-overs made in a synthetic double satchel...quite tough and look the part...

I've probably sunk over £12K into this bike now...
    Wow! £12K? That makes me and my £9K feel so much better; thank you!

Would you be able to email me a couple of pics of the bags Bud? And some (approximate) sizes?

Thanks,

Chris

P.S. I got your message Bud, but your PM folder says it's full so I couldn't reply.
    Last edited by ChrisOfTheOT; 05-16-2018 at 12:03 PM. Reason: P.S. added

My Ride
    A proper bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisOfTheOT View Post
    Wow! £12K? That makes me and my £9K feel so much better; thank you!

Would you be able to email me a couple of pics of the bags Bud? And some (approximate) sizes?

Thanks,

Chris

P.S. I got your message Bud, but your PM folder says it's full so I couldn't reply.
    no probs. Inbox cleared

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Morning Bud - I'm going to have to decline your panniers, unfortunately. The jury has released its verdict on my bars: £135 (including fitting highway pegs). This puts me £50 over budget so another wedge is not acceptable. Shame! I'll have to wait a year or so.

Thanks anyway

Chris

My Ride
    A proper bike
    No worries...they'll sell.

Here's a few photos of my completed 1200C now with H-D leather semi-rigid 3000 C/inch panniers fitted. I think that they set the bike off nicely:

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    The bikes looking great. How does the windshield feel for better / worse?