My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 883 Iron

Sportster key fob/imobiliser problem

Having yet more problems with my 2016 883 Iron Sportster !. It has one of those electronic fobs, no ignition key, so the fob has to be present to start the bike. This morning there was a strange bright object in the sky instead of the eternal grey sky and rain, so I wheeled the bike out. Key fob in pocket and well away from my mobile phone, flicked the run switch and the alarm chirped, lights flashed as normal, hit the starter and she fired up great. I stood a minute or so waiting for my wife, but no sign of her so turned the run switch off and stopped the bike.

5 minutes later, wife was finally ready (takes her a while to get kitted up). Went to the bike, fob in pocket still, flicked the run switch and..... nothing. Alarm light still flashing every few seconds. Tried moving the bike, usually makes the alarm chirp but again nothing. So got on my Enfield Bullet (super reliable !), rode to the shop and got new battery for the fob. Also put bike back on the trickle charger to be sure that was not an issue. Same thing, flick the switch to run, no "wake up sequence" of chirp, lights. Tried pressing starter anyway, nothing. Tried shaking the bike again, this time the chirp and lights came on. Great I thought. Flicked the run switch off again, got my gear on to go out for a short ride. Guess what, flicked the run switch on, dead as a door nail again !.

Has anyone had similar issues ?. This has got me stumped and extremely p....d off with this bike. Any thoughts or suggestions much appreciated.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomo For This Useful Post:

PDF (07-04-2018)

My Ride
    '16 Iron
    Not had this problem myself, but it sounds like a possible bad connection in the rocker switch? Has it got very wet from rain or washing at all? Just guesses I'm afraid.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 883 Iron
    No, the bike has never been out in the rain and I hate to admit, haven't washed it yet. Has`nt got mucky on the few rides I have done since I got it last August.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson wide glide
    Might be an idea to put the code in to override the key fob might be worth a try . Might be a dodgy fob or have you tried two , I’m only guessing to , all the usual things like battery connections are tight .

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 883 Iron
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have tried to put the code in as the handbook instructs, flip the run switch on off on off then the left indicator twice and right switch once. The existing pin is supposed to appear in the Odometer window, but nothing happens at all it just stays blank. I have tried two fobs and changed the batteries in both as well, but no good. This morning tried disconnecting the battery and leaving a few hours, checked it was charged up. Put it back in but no change. Tried again to stand bike up off the sidestand and like before when switched to run, there was a delay of a few seconds then the bike alarm chirped, indicators flashed and the instrument lights came on. But when I pulled inn clutch and pressed the start button, nothing. Turned the run switch off, waited a few minutes then turned it on again, absolutely nothing. Incidentally, the alarm went off while removing the battery and just about burst my ear drums until the battery was disconnected. The odd thing is the bike must read the fob, with it present I can move it about, but without it if I try to move it the alarm goes off. This is really doing my head in, my local HD stealership is 40 miles away so going to cost me a fortune if I can`t sort it myself. Really p....d off with it right now, after months of rain and grey skies it has to play up when we get decent weather !.

My Ride
    '16 Iron
    When you looked for existing pin, did you have fob present? Do you know what the pin should be? ( written in back of manual on "wallet card" Entering pin without fob is different Page 92, sportster manual. Changing pin with fob present, Page 88.

Also, in your post above you say, when you switched to run, there was a few seconds delay, mine reacts immediately making me think your switch has dodgy contacts? HTH?
    Last edited by Not too old; 04-22-2018 at 10:19 AM.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 883 Iron
    I did have the fob present, though the handbook does say the pin can be entered if the fob is lost or damaged. But following the instructions nothing appears in the odometer window at all.

My Ride
    '16 Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    I did have the fob present, though the handbook does say the pin can be entered if the fob is lost or damaged. But following the instructions nothing appears in the odometer window at all.
    Did you try with the fob not present? If you have fob within range the pin entering method doesn't work as it disarms unless the fob is as you say broken or flat battery. I tried with my 16 Iron (with NO fob) and you just switch to run, it says enter pin. press LH ind. until correct no. Flashes then RH Ind. to enter and next space flashes until all 5 numbers are entered one at a time.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 883 Iron
    Hi Not too old, no I haven't tried without the fob present. I took the battery up to the Harley dealer nearest to me (30 miles away) this morning and they put it on the tester. The readout showed it was not functioning right. Fortunately the bike is still in warranty, so they gave me a new one, didn't even need to ask which was pretty good service I thought. Anyway, haven't put it in the bike yet. I still can`t see it being something as simple as that but am keeping fingers crossed and will let you know if it works. Thanks for your help and suggestions by the way, much appreciated.

My Ride
    '16 Iron
    No worries mate! Hope it works for you and you get some riding done, all the best!