Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Ride
    Dyna Superglide
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckhornBud View Post
    Ahhh...gotchya. Yes, you're right of course....a slight cam profile change can drastically alter the way an engine delivers. What was the mileage on the motor before the tensioner issues? I've heard a few with similar issues on bikes with a little as 15K miles on them. Nice looking Dyna btw...
    OK, this time I remembered to reply with quoting so there's less confusion
    Thanks for the compliment! It's still a work in progress - adding a 7" LED shortly and redoing the saddle soon as I find someone in Ireland can do it well.

My bike had 22K when it started to make some noise. I dunno if I was simply becoming paranoid, or if it was actually gonna grenade, but I do know that the shoes came apart as they came out...
    I do not ride my bike hard much at all any more. My ZX-7 days are well behind me. So I wasn't too impressed the shoes went. But what DID impress me was that the 509G cams, which nearly everyone who owns a dyno suggested I go to as a replacement for the stock set up; they are such a HUGE difference. I saw dyno after dyno of stage 1 88's that started putting out 90-95 ft lbs of torque not far off idle after simply adding the cam. With a valve job and squish mod and the cam, she's a different bike now. This is how they should come from the factory.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200C
    Quote Originally Posted by reindeer View Post
    OK, this time I remembered to reply with quoting so there's less confusion
    Thanks for the compliment! It's still a work in progress - adding a 7" LED shortly and redoing the saddle soon as I find someone in Ireland can do it well.

My bike had 22K when it started to make some noise. I dunno if I was simply becoming paranoid, or if it was actually gonna grenade, but I do know that the shoes came apart as they came out...
    I do not ride my bike hard much at all any more. My ZX-7 days are well behind me. So I wasn't too impressed the shoes went. But what DID impress me was that the 509G cams, which nearly everyone who owns a dyno suggested I go to as a replacement for the stock set up; they are such a HUGE difference. I saw dyno after dyno of stage 1 88's that started putting out 90-95 ft lbs of torque not far off idle after simply adding the cam. With a valve job and squish mod and the cam, she's a different bike now. This is how they should come from the factory.
    I agree. Same with the Sportster. They're a bit breathless and anaemic as standard although the 1200 has notably more grunt. There are hotter cams for the sportster but from what I gather, the outlay of £500 or so for perhaps 4 or 5 BHP and similar torque increases is a bit steep. There's a state-side company which offers upgrade heads and S&S now offer a 1250 kite for 100BHP and 81ft-lb torque but it's mighty pricey. With moderately hot cams and an EFI tuned, it's easy to get 85BHP from the stock motor and over 80ft-lbs of torque but its also recommended that the sportsters clutch is upgraded along with ignition module. I came to the conclusion that a Stage 1 done well, selecting the best parts (there's a big difference between performance gains and spread with pipes for example) was the best bet for economy and reliability.

I've seen around 80BHP from a stage 1 with 2-1 exhaust, the next best results seem to be with Khromewerks slip-ons (unless going an entire system change), but I'm happy enough with where mine is as the brakes and front suspension aren't really up to much more grunt anyway. I'd like a Dyna some day but our garage isn't big enough for 2.

The camchain adjuster issue seems to be a common problem with the big twins...I thought that the change to hydraulic adjusters with the Twin Cams had sorted the issue but a mechanic told me that there hadn't been any improvement to shoe material or manufacture, and his recommendation was if I went that route to have the adjusters changed at most every 15K. It sort of put me off which is why I went the sportster route....they have one or two issues to look for but by and large seem to be well sorted engines.

My Ride
    Dyna Superglide
    The trick with sportsters is to get the Buell heads and some cams, or just do the Buell engine swap. You see them available stateside very often.

As for the twin cams, 95-05 were the problem years. In 06 they went to hydraulic assisted and a different shoe material. Still, I would upgrade to cams now that I know how big a difference it makes.