Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    There are several Troubleshooting Sections in the 2006 manual - it is a 40Mb file though so it would be hard for me to email it. Try looking for 'Harley Davidson Sportster XLH 2006' using Google - you might be lucky and manage to get it.

AL

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hi AL,

I don't think a 2006 manual will be of much use on a 2003 Sportster, there were several major changes made to the electrical system in 2004 when Sportster's were rubber mounted.

The Carl Salter free download for 1986 - 2003 Sportster's is a better bet, it contains 637 pages and covers all solid mounted Evolution Sportster models.

g_86-03-harley-davidson-xl-xlh-sportster-service-manual-33f5.jpg

The first six pages of the download manual are at the back, very strange indeed, but if you can live with that it's a bargain for free.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    Hi AL,

I don't think a 2006 manual will be of much use on a 2003 Sportster, there were several major changes made to the electrical system in 2004 when Sportster's were rubber mounted.

The Carl Salter free download for 1986 - 2003 Sportster's is a better bet, it contains 637 pages and covers all solid mounted Evolution Sportster models.

g_86-03-harley-davidson-xl-xlh-sportster-service-manual-33f5.jpg

The first six pages of the download manual are at the back, very strange indeed, but if you can live with that it's a bargain for free.
    Agree there were some changes, but fundamentally the fuel system and carb doesn't change much IIRC and the Troubleshooting section is quite relevant.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (04-16-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson sportster 883 xl 2003
    Thank you. I will download the manual.
    The bike started up no problems from cold again for approximately 30 seconds then it had had enough and died on me. I checked both spark plugs which firstly seemed to be sparking fine, then intermittently and finally, nothing at all .. we maybe getting somewhere .. halilullah !

so where do you knowledgeable people think I should go from here? New coil? (The plugs are new, maybe a mile on them)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson sportster 883 xl 2003
    I just done another small check that I stumbled across on youtube for checking the voltage regulator. My bike sits at 12.5/.6V without being run and does not seem to rise with the bike started. Could this lead to the bike cutting out? I've never experienced a flat battery and I don't take it out to often. The battery is about a year old.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Those voltage readings on a static battery in theory would be about OK because it is starting the bike (12.3 is not good enough) and running it for 30 seconds or even a couple of miles won't put much back into it after starting.

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    From Yuasa website

Starting Load Test
    Adjust voltmeter to DC volts (20 volt range).
    Place voltmeter leads to the battery terminals. (positive to positive and negative to negative)
    Watch the voltmeter as you start your motorcycle.
    If the voltage drops below 9.5 volts, the battery has very low capacity and should be replaced.

Charging System Test
    Adjust voltmeter to DC volts (20 volt range).
    Place voltmeter leads to the battery terminals. (positive to positive and negative to negative)
    Start your motorcycle.
    Bring engine RPM's up to approximately 3,000
    Compare the voltage reading to the specification in your owner's manual.
    (Note:the voltage reading should be approx. 13.8 - 14.5 volts to properly charge an AGM battery.)