Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckhornBud View Post
    Short shots [&] long shots… both look cool (I really do like the way they look) and sound awesome… but I have seen dyno readouts showing that some actually made LESS power and heaps less torque...an engine tuner advised me to steer well clear of them… However, V&H also make Side-shots and other pipes with their "power chamber" fitted and these do make a fair bit more power and deliver good torque increases.

… If you want to retain that lazy low down grunt, or improve on standard across the rev range, you have to pick a pipe or slip-on that develops sufficient back pressure yet has better gas flow than the standard one…

I've read that the optimum pipe diameter for the evo 1200 engine is 2 3/4 inch for gas flow/torque and the Khromewerks offer a 3 inch with patented pulse baffle which causes swirl in the chamber and modulates back pressure variably depending on revs and gas flow, tuned for loads of torque from slightly above tickover, rising to almost a peak at 3Krpm and really quite linear all the way up but retaining a linear power increase to the red line…
    Morning Bud - thanks for that; another really interesting & informative post. I have long been confused about back pressure and gas flow (I thought back pressure was a negative in exhaust terms?!) so it's reassuring that engineers struggle to deal with it too. Also surprising about Short Shots: I assumed that little pipes enabled more power because back in the day (way, way, way back), when we went to Santa Pod, the first thing everyone did was remove as much exhaust as possible. ('Cept the two-stroke boys, of course.) Anyway, the Khrome Werks slip-ons seem to offer the best in terms of torque/price - and if I could find some new ones for £250!... - with good reputation for quality too. If not, the S & S ones are cheapest (that I could find: £310 from A.R. Harley) so I might have to go there.

What about noise Bud? I don't want to give myself a migrane, nor get a black eye from the neighbours...

Quote Originally Posted by BuckhornBud View Post
    If you want to retain that lazy low down grunt, or improve on standard across the rev range, you have to pick a pipe or slip-on that develops sufficient back pressure yet has better gas flow than the standard one… You're after a torquey mile muncher that you don't need to rev much as I understand it?

I've read that the optimum pipe diameter for the evo 1200 engine is 2 3/4 inch for gas flow/torque and the Khromewerks offer a 3 inch with patented pulse baffle… [The 2-1 system delivered the best results everywhere across the rev range on the sportsters but as you say, it's very expensive.] I got mine [Khrome Werks] for a shade over £250 new from Riders in Bridgwater last year…
    You are exactly right Bud: 'torquey mile muncher'. (I don't understand why the Sportster has five gears. I think seven gears on a Triumph Speedmaster is bonkers: I don't want to be wazzing the gear shift (like a Fizzy) every few seconds when I reach a hill, I want the motor to stay in top and just chew it's way threw the hill!). We'll see how finances stack out: if I find a £million in a suit case, I'll get an awesome SuperTrapp, Cobra or Bassani two-into-one. If not, it'll be S & S or Khrome Werks slip-ons. For now it's just a tune with a Super Tuner jobbie. (That is, 'now' in the next couple of months.)

Thanks again Bud - you're so helpful!

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. I've just seen my 'Eagle' thread is locked. Hmm.

My Ride
    A proper bike
    S&S look ok Chris but I can't comment on reliability or noise. They claim up to an 8bhp increase with them fitted (in conjunction with a fast flow filter and tune) but don't mention torque.There's a few less expensive Khromewrks doing the rounds too: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Khrome-Werk.../dp/B006GFNZ82

I think that the other thread wass locked as the original topic was exhausted Chris...not for any sinister reason ;-)