My Ride
    Iron 2016

Slight hesitation at 2800 rpm?

My 2016 Iron 883 hesitates a bit at 2800 rpm in all gears. The it surges again above 3000 rpm. I suggest it might be exhaust related as before I opened up the stock pipes the 'flat spot' was 2500 rpm. It's only a small blip then I drive out of it on to 4000 and so. Any ideas? At first I thought it was the rev limiter but I can ride through it so not really. Anyone else experience this? The bike accelerates really well but it's just not smooth all the way through. Possibly a fuel processor would even this out but it's not that massive an issue to go to the bother and expense I feel. Responses welcome.

My Ride
    Iron 2016
    I understand the XL-ViED-14 from DK Custom can smooth out running. Has anyone used one?

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I heard of a few on the sportster sickness uk page on fb who have used them and said they got good running from them as an interim before getting a fuel tuner. I would say go for an FP3 or similar and get it fueled properly... irrespective of whether you want full satge 1 or not, it will make your bike run smoother

My Ride
    Bagger - Street Glide Rushmore
    Fuel pak 3 or a good dyno will sort most all that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    The XL-XiED-14 are manufactured by Nightrider are plug and play fuel enrichment devices which fool the bikes ECU into thinking that the engine is running running too lean, so the ECU injects 8% more fuel into the engine. The extra fuel helps the motor to run smoother and cooler, they're especially useful in hot Summer weather wen a stock motor is likely to overheat. They're a cheap alternative to a FP3 or Power Commander V, but they have limitations as they're not adjustable. XL-XiED-14 are available from H&C Custom for £99.99.

I have used XL-XiED-14 leads on my 2011 Iron, they worked as they should but I removed them after six months, I'll soon be installing my Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner instead.

xied_a_450.jpg
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 04-16-2018 at 04:56 PM.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200C
    I used the XL-XIEDs for a short while before getting a proper dyno tune as mine was running dangerously lean and they did the job well enough but they should be considered an interim measure only. Bear in mind, all these do is to richen the mixture at all revs, so if your flat spot is at a particularly weak spot in fuelling it will richen that up, but run richer everywhere else too. They're better suited for people who use stock pipes and faster flow air filters where back pressures have been factory mapped. When you alter the back pressure by changing pipes it is dependant upon pipe length, cross sectional area and baffle design as to where the lean/rich points might occur in fuelling and how much back pressure is there. Longer term, there is no substitution for a dyno-tuned fuel map, and the two tuners worth buying are the SE Super-Tune (pro) or Power Commander V. budget £100 to £150 for dyno time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BuckhornBud For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (04-16-2018)