My Ride
    1999 Dyna WG

Sportster new clutch cable problem!

Has anybody had the problem of screwing a new clutch cable into the clutch housing cover? I recently attempted to change the clutch cable on a 2014 883L to find that the new cable wouldn’t screw in, I tried to put the original back and that wont go back either! I haven’t had the bike long, it’s been abused and I’m suspecting the thread in the housing could be kaput!!
    Which leads me to my second enquiry, does anyone know of a workshop/engineer/mechanic who could re-thread this for me in the Essex/Suffolk/norfolk area?
    Thanks. Glenn

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    It is odd that you can't get either cable to screw in - should be relatively simple.

The thread apparently should be 5/16" - 24 UNF; but I hope someone else will confirm that.

Maybe if you can find a bolt of that size you could see if that would run in OK.

Alternatively you could buy a tap and try cleaning the thread out yourself, but I would recommend a primary oil change afterwards (which you would have to do if you took the primary cover off anyway).

I have a bolt of the correct size which I could use to make a thread cleaner and I am in Suffolk. I may even have a suitable tap - I know I have an M8 x 1 which is the metric equivalent.

AL

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (04-02-2018), Glenn (04-05-2018)

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    For an abused bike it would be wise to change engine oil/filter and transmission oil.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnnythefox For This Useful Post:

Glenn (04-05-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hello Glenn,

If the thread does turn out to be stripped, you can easily repair it yourself by using a helicoil kit. Below is a helicoil kit for repairing 5/16-24 threads, it's for sale on eBay, it's item number is 282682539781 and it costs £12.20 including P&P, the seller is in Bridgend. If it were me doing the repair I'd remove the primary drive cover before drilling and tapping into it, ant swarf can be removed before reinstalling the cover.

s-l1600 (7).jpg

The helicoil kit contains a drill and a larger than stock tap, after the helicoil is in place the centre thread is the same as the original 5/16-24. Full instructions for use will be in the kit, if you're uncertain have a look on YouTube, there are videos showing step by step helicoil installation.

Good luck.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

Gettin'onabit (04-02-2018), Glenn (04-05-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I was wondering if the OP has bought a new cable with a different thread (say, UNC instead of UNF, or maybe even a metric aftermarket one) and having tried to screw it in, it has messed the first couple of threads up which is why the old one now won't screw in.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (04-02-2018), Glenn (04-05-2018)

My Ride
    1999 Dyna WG
    Thanks for all you're comments they have been genuinely helpful and I'm acting on them. First stepwise to but a 5/16 -24 UNF nut and bolt that I'm now waiting for on eBay to confirm the threads on the cables etc. All being well I shall buy that helicoil kit and take it from there. Thanks to those who have offered practical help it's appreciated but at this stage I should have everything I need. If you mentioned oil changes etc I'm in absolute agreement it's on the list.
    It's one of those jobs that I thought would take 1.5 hours max but there you go!
    Thanks everyone all your inputs been important.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Hi Glenn,

If you have an M8 tap you could check the cable thread against that.

If your thread is buggered, you can buy taps from here: (scroll down to 5/16" UNF).

https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/...ps___Dies.html

A plug tap would probably be the best one unless you buy a 'taper, second and plug' set - you will always use them again, no doubt.

I would only use Helicoil as a last resort - I had them leak oil on previous projects.

Alternatively, if the thread is generally good after the initial few threads, bring me the primary cover and I will clean it up.

AL

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

Johnnythefox (04-06-2018)