Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldvelonut View Post
    Photo of the finished article:
    That is a lovley example. I have a particular fondness for Shortshots in chrome against a black engine: perfik! I bet it sounds... Oooooo.

Velo: you say 'I also have a Sundowner dual seat and forward controls. Comfort is superb... seat height a bit higher (only a problem getting on because of the fat seat).' I will be getting either a Sundowner or a Mustang Vintage but wondered how it sits over the bodywork. Do you have any snaps of the saddle... and its fatness? (I saw some of the bigger Harleys at Riders and those seats are cosmically huge!)

Cheers,

Chris

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin'onabit View Post
    Chris - If you talk to Dave at Hagon, I am pretty certain he could supply you with a pair of rear shocks that will easily do the job for under £250.

If you are looking at a Custom or a Low don't forget that you would be sitting fairly well back from the front end; therefore IMO you might want to pay more attention to the rear suspension than the front... do it in stages... I see no sense in spending out on something that doesn't need changing, even if it is the basic stock item.
    You're right again Al, I will be 'doing it in stages'. My first, primary focus will be on doing stuff that enables me to ride: screen, saddle, shocks. (I have even done myself a little spreadsheet to get a precise idea of costs!) With tax & insurance, these items will max me out but without them, I will not be able to ride for any distance. (I have already identified the highway pegs, as I said before.)

I have emailed Hagon and am interested to see what they suggest. To be honest, I was hoping to get rear suspension and fork springs for under £300. I may be too optimistic, we'll see.

I did find a (surprisingly rare) but very good review of the 2016 Custom on Topspeed Motorcycles, which notes this about the suspension:

Part of the custom look is owed to the steering head angle that kicks the forks all the way out to 30 degrees for a 59.8-inch wheelbase and 4.2 inches of trail. The front forks are plain vanilla, but 2016 saw the addition of cartridge-style forks for better ride quality. One can hope this is a prelude to adjustable front forks, but no such luck yet.

External, coil-over emulsion shocks — also new from 2016 — float the rear with variable preload as the only adjustment. I can’t say I’m surprised or even disappointed with the suspension, it is typical for the less-expensive bike brackets, but there are so many options available out there that would add a lot in the way of comfort control. Just sayin’, Harley.

Even Progressive Suspension 'Standard Fork Springs' for the 1200 Sportster are £100, so hopefully Hagon should be cheaper. (I'd love to be able to afford Progressive's Monotube Fork Cartridge kit (£270) and 430s (£500) - but, as you say, do it in stages...) Anyway, the bike needs to carry me without cripplin' me. This means a bit extra needs to be spent. I don't know how this will pan out, but if I can't stretch funds enough, I'll be doing some more hiring this year!

Thanks Al,

Chris

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisOfTheOT For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (04-03-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I wouldn't even bother with progressive springs - but whether progressive or not, there are plenty of spring manufacturers around which could do what you want.

Wilburs; Hyperpro (worth looking at IMO - their front and rear kits run at about 300Euro).

I don't know who Hagon use for the actual springs - I didn't feel it was necessary to ask, given their reputation.

AL

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    I wouldn't even bother with progressive springs...
    You're kidding! I thought progressive springs were the way to go. What's wrong with them Al?

Wilburs; Hyperpro (worth looking at IMO - their front and rear kits run at about 300Euro)...
    Never heard of them but I'll Google them now.

Cheers Al - this is fascinating!

Chris

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    I wouldn't even bother with progressive springs...
    Ah - did you me Progressive (proper noun) rather than progressive as a spring type? Maybe I got you wrong there (sorry!).

Chris

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Wilbers Performance Suspension Online Shop

2012 1200 Custom (nearest I could get): Type 530 TS Road - £617 (cheapest)

Hyperpro Suspension Technology

Hyperpro are stocked by SportsbikeShop, but nothing for Harley. The cheapest are £369.95.

Interesting indeed Al, but all shocks are too expensive. It seems a lot hangs on the reply from Hagon!

Wilbers offer 2015 spings: £99 or £126 - much more affordable. (The expensive springs are called 'zero friction'. Not sure what that means really...)

SportsbikeShop offer Hyperpro fork springs, again, nothing for Harley and nearly all of them are £116.85.

So, even more interesting - and not too expensive. My question would be, are these springs that much better than stock, and how do they compare, say, to Progressive's Monotube Fork Cartidge Kit (about £270). It certainly looks impressive (but then, 'I know nuuuthing')!

Cheers,

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisOfTheOT; 04-03-2018 at 03:06 PM.

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    I just got this from JPCycles website:

231-476_B.jpg

All looks very impressive, though I don't understand why the Progressive setup is better.

Cheers,

Chris

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisOfTheOT View Post
    Ah - did you me Progressive (proper noun) rather than progressive as a spring type? Maybe I got you wrong there (sorry!).

Chris
    Hi Chris,

Bluenose (Dave) has given you a good description of progressive springs earlier in this thread.

Personally I wouldn't worry whether I have them or not, on a road going bike - in fact I would probably change them for linear springs simply because I don't like front end dive (progressive sort of start off a bit soft and get - wait for it - progressively harder the worse the road conditions get.

As I said earlier most racers go for linear springs for the same reason - front end dive is not good on a race bike.

If you want to get Hyperpro (I admit I did have a Hyerpro spring on my rear shock on my Ducati, but I set the pre-load quite hard) you probably could get them at a lower cost direct from Hyperpro in Daffodil Land.

IMHO you should stop worrying about the suspension and just get the bike you are comfortable on - you can always play around with things and upgrade bits and pieces as you get used to it - you never know, the one you get might already have 'custom' parts fitted already.

My Hagon shocks were £238 delivered - all shiny bits, no painted parts.

AL

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    ...Personally I wouldn't worry whether I have them or not, on a road going bike - in fact I would probably change them for linear springs simply because I don't like front end dive (progressive sort of start off a bit soft and get - wait for it - progressively harder the worse the road conditions get...
    Morning Al - thanks for clarifying. I had not anticipated the 'front end dive' under braking. In relation to the Superlow, the 'hammer blow' jolt the suspension delivered to my luscious buttocks was too horrible to bare after a couple of hours: in other words, I would put up with brake-dive if it eliminated the buttock hammering. I looked again at the blurb about Progressive fork springs on the AR Harley site. They recognise the brake-dive problem but (miraculously!) claim to have solved it:

Spring rates have been chosen to reduce front end "dive" during braking, yet still provide excellent ride comfort. Progressive Rate Fork Springs have several advantages over straight rate springs. A Progressive Rate Spring has the advantage of a rising rate resistance to compression. The benefit of this is that the spring can be soft enough at the start of the travel to offer a "plush" ride, yet be firm enough at the end of the travel to soak up the big bumps. Some applications are offered in Heavy Duty and Standard Versions.

Anyway, it's a reasonable trade (according to my buttocks).

I did get Dave's excellent linear/progressive spring explanation but the fork cartridge kits seem to have a huge damper with a short spring: this seemed counter-intuitive to me as I figured a longer spring (more travel) would be better. I guess that's why I'm not a suspension engineer...

In the end, 'getting the bike I am comfortable on' seems just about spot-on to me. It has been hugely encouraging to read here how suspension can be tailored easily, but (crucially!) not too expensively. £238 for quality shocks seems reasonable to me, and a £100 fork spring set would put me only about £40 over: that equals wiggle room to me.

Thanks again Al, and everyone. I like it here!

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. All this talk of weight caused me to notice the bathroom scales again. We've not been getting on these last few years. I (bravely) got on again and got three different flavours of reading: 16 st, 224 lbs, 101.3kg. I was pleased! It wasn't that long ago I was at the 18 st. end...

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Hagon Shocks start at £146 delivered (black damper body; chrome spring - no shrouds). That's about £90 wiggle room.