Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom

Sportster ride height: Superlows & Customs

Morning gents (& potentially, ladies) - I was set on getting this lovely Roadster 883 but, alas, it sold at the weekend. So I hired a Superlow 1200T and had a lovely day on it: specifically, no bad back or shoulder ache and, with the screen, comfortable along the motorway. This is good news! However, the Superlow was not perfect: I had a terrible numb-bum after a couple of hours and my knee began to ache. The knee thing was worsened because I had on my built-proof trousers, which work wonderfully at keeping me warm but the armour on the knee hurts. (I found that getting the plate exactly in the middle on my left leg reduced the pain considerably but, as I say in the foot peg thread, highway pegs should prevent this.)

The numb-bum was infuriating: hitting every little bump and lump felt like I was sitting on a length of 4"x2" with someone hitting it with a hammer repeatedly. I also found that getting into a comfortable position (pushed back as far as possible against the rear of the saddle) was useless: as soon as I hit the next bump, even on the motorway, I slid forward a fraction.

Related to this was the horrible, insane and, well, quite annoying ground clearance. The Riders website says the Superlow is blessed with '95mm' of ground clearance (3.74"). No problem at all if you live on a bowling green and ride to work on glass roads. However, I live in Somerset... (on planet earth). I can understand low seat height, but low ride height? I hate it. I do believe that every single time you have to take the right exit off a roundabout, you'll grind the right foot peg (itself blessed with a gruesome looking dagger ready to impale the next pedestrian at the car park).

I had set my heart on a Roadster because the ride height is sensible. Having missed the lovely 2014 one I, quite accidentally, saw something called a 1200 Custom and, whoa!, I was dribbling (and not in an attractive way at all). Unfortunatley, this incredibly beautiful machine is curse with only 105mm (4.13") of ground clearance.

Who here rides a Custom? (I imagine the 883 would have a similar ride height, I'll check later.) Does it ground-out like a Superlow? Is the suspension so short it feels like riding wood? (Of course, I may be just a woosie.)

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. XL1200CA - Oooooooh:

1200.jpg

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Mine is a Low - I agree with you about the comfort.

Although I am shorta*sed, my knees were far too bent and the rough road surfaces played havoc on my bum and spine.

So having discussed the issue with Dave at Hagon Shocks, I established that the Low has 11" shocks and only 1" of travel before hitting the bump stops.

However, I like the fact that I could sit on the bike with knees bent and feet flat on the ground, which made the bike very easy to move around; so I settled on a compromise with Hagon Shocks and fitted 1-1/2" longer shocks.

They made a lot of difference to the bumps on a short ride on a rough road, but I have also fitted forward controls so it seems knee ache won't be an issue either.

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin'onabit View Post
    Mine is a Low... I settled on a compromise with Hagon Shocks and fitted 1-1/2" longer shocks.
    Hi Al - I cannot find the ride height for a Low (only seat height). Do you know it?

I have read many threads about increasing shock length and it seems like a nightmare: belt tension, fork height, geometry confusion, side stand length to name but some. How did you over come everything? And how much difference does it make for the bum & back when riding a long way?

Cheers,

Chris

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Buy a Mustang classic seat... sorted arse problem

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    2007 883 LOW seat height 25.4". The 1200 LOW is 26.3". Both with a 180lb rider on the seat. Or do you mean road clearance?

I changed the sidestand on mine courtesy of bluenose (Dave) - mine was only 7" long - whereas an 8" maybe 8.5" one made all the difference.

Belt tension - maybe mine is OK - I will have to give it a longer run to be sure.

Steering speed - not a great deal different, thankfully.

Comfort - I don't think my bum and spine are going to suffer now, even with the stock solo seat.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (03-29-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hi AL,

The stock ground clearance on your 2007 XL883L is 3.9" (100mm).

My 2011 XL883N has a stock ground clearance of 5.5" (140mm).

My Ride
    2017 Harley-Davidson XL1200T
    So I hired a Superlow 1200T
    Assuming fairly new it has the emulsion single sided adjustable shock. Did the renter take you through adjusting it? Depending on your weight it could of made quite a bit of difference.

The shock is designed for riders heavier than me so I changed mine for Progressive 430s. The Superlow fitted with saddlebags will be a nightmare for normal shocks that need a spanner to adjust.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy from Sandy For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (03-29-2018), ChrisOfTheOT (03-29-2018)

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by wide View Post
    Buy a Mustang classic seat... sorted arse problem
    Afternoon Wide - do you ride a Low or Custom then? Did the Mustang seat cure your Low suspension comfort issues?

I have read a lot of good things about Mustang, in particular the 12.5" & 14.5" Vintage saddles. I was planning on the 12.5", probably from: HarleyCustom.co.uk (£250). However, before I shell out... when I've got a bike to put one on... I want to be assured that the saddle is so good it effectively makes up for the poor Low/Superlow suspension.

Said saddle:

mustang-vintage-standard-solo-seat-12-5-inches (4-5g)-76159.jpg

I'm also keen to know about how the saddle might over-hang the body since 12.5" is quite wide (I figured 14.5" would bulge out too much). If someone has either one fitted, please can you post a pic?

Dave: you're a wiz - how can you lay your hand to all this info?!

Al: I'm glad your suspension change worked for you. I assume a seat is cheaper so that's what I'll hope for - until I have researched what 'progressive suspension' means...

Thanks guys,

Chris

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy View Post
    Assuming fairly new it has the emulsion single sided adjustable shock. Did the renter take you through adjusting it? Depending on your weight it could of made quite a bit of difference.

The shock is designed for riders heavier than me so I changed mine for Progressive 430s. The Superlow fitted with saddlebags will be a nightmare for normal shocks that need a spanner to adjust.
    So now I have to research 'emulsion single sided adjustable shock'!

The bike was brand new Andy, only just PDId with 6 miles on the clock. (Very nice too!) No, I was not told about adjusting the suspension - and how I wish I had been! As for the whole, erm, personal dimensions issue - I would be that rider who is heavier than you. Sigh.

The Custom I am now looking at is a 2016 model - I'll have to check if it has this 'emulsion single sided adjustable shock'.

Thanks Andy - very useful info there.

Cheers,

Chris

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    It seems obvious to me that a Low isn't going to be suitable for your build, Chris. The 'T' looked a pretty good bike though.

However, I haven't grounded my 883 Low at all on the shitty roads around here (even over speed humps), other than it used to scrape on the ramps I need to get it in and out of the workshop, until I modified the ramps. With the 1-1/2" longer shocks, it won't touch anything at all now IMO.

Forward controls footpegs on the Low is a different matter - they are a bit too close to the road when in a corner for my liking, so I may fit the stock footpegs instead of those that came with the forwards kit as they are at least 1" shorter and less in cross sectional dimension.

I wouldn't worry about the 'emulsion single sided adjustable shock' if one is fitted on the bike you want - it's just the way the suspension is on some of the later models - and there is no reason why you couldn't upgrade it if you needed to.

BTW - My Hagon shocks 1-1/2" longer than stock were lower cost than the Mustang seat - you can see what they look like below.

AL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gettin'onabit; 03-31-2018 at 11:36 AM.