My Ride
    Harley-Davidson

Best place to buy Battery ??

Went to start my Softail today after its winter lay up. Removed battery tender,( PS I do not leave it on permanently just every so often ) Petrol on after a couple of turns click click lol. So got my 240volt Van charger/Starter and bike fired up all ok. 7 years ago I bought this genuine Harley Battery at a cost then of £135 so I hate to think how much they cost now at a dealership !!. Last year I bought a New Yuasa Battery for my 1200 Sporty.So pleased with it that I am now looking to buy a YUASA YTX20-HLBS for my 2003 Softail... NOW the question where is a reasonable place to buy a new one. The cheapest YUASA so far I have found is £94 ???? There must be tighter Guys than me out there lol.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hog-Rider For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (03-07-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson iRON 883
    That £94 is the lowest price on ebay, going to be hard to better, HD battery is probably cheaper than YUSA on ebay although I prefer Yusa batteries myself. My understanding is that HD warrantee their batteries for two years and that three years is considered 'normal' life, getting seven years out of a battery is good going. I leave my tender on permanently, it's a tender not a charger.

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Ok Hog-Rider,

Halfords sell Yuasa YTX20HL-BS batteries online only for £82.00 with free delivery.

199673.jpg

If you want something a bit cheaper, thebatteryshop.co.uk sell Exide YTX20HL-BS batteries for £59.99 plus £5.99 delivery.

exide-etx20hl-bs-motorcycle-battery-12v-18ah-270a-ytx20hl-bs-2280-p.jpg

Hope this has helped you.

Dave.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

Johnnythefox (03-07-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Thanks from me Bluenose as well ..I have just ordered a YUASA YTX20HL-BS for my Softail at £82 inc free delivery from Halfords. Fair Price as well. Delivery will be on Friday. Over the years I have learnt that the Best batteries for vehicles are Bosch. One of the best Batteries for Bikes are the Yuasa.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hog-Rider For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (03-08-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Ha! Batteries........Have a look at this:

My Ducati had an 8 or 9 year old conventional lead acid battery (a Yuasa lookalike) when it became non-useful......when I got the bike the battery was about 2 years old, so in the following 7 years I think I only charged it about three times and topped it up twice.

When I changed it, I fitted a genuine Yuasa one.......as far as I know it is still perfectly OK.

Interestingly, when any of my Ducati acquaintances had battery problems (usually with expensive gel type ones) there was always an Optimate involved.

When I got my Sportster, I guess the battery was already 7 years old and it failed before I could even ride the bike. The dealer supplied a new HD one FOC together with an HD tender also FOC (Maidstone Harley).

Many years ago, my Guzzi was fitted with a lead acid battery which weighed about as much as a concrete block and about the size of a car battery - it failed after three years. I fitted the cheapest battery of the same spec as the OEM one.

It was about a quarter of the cost of the OEM one and it was the unbranded type that tyre companies have bubbling away upstairs. I kept the bike for another five years without battery problems.

If I need a new one for the Sportster at any time (unless the one I have now fails inside warranty) I will shove any battery I can find which will do the job, as long as it doesn't cost a fortune.

I can't be a*sed to fork out loads of dosh for some 'all singing, all dancing' job that only lasts the same time as a cr*p battery. It doesn't take much to check a battery and top it up if necessary.

BTW: To save me dragging the battery out, anyone have any idea of the gauge/diameter of the battery 'earth' lead? I'm going to fit a flexible longer one, but so the extra the length doesn't slow the starter, I will use a slightly thicker gauge.
    Last edited by Gettin'onabit; 03-08-2018 at 11:34 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (03-08-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    My 1980 Laverda 1200 had a 32Ah battery as stock fitment, the later 180 degree crank Laverda triples only had a Bosch 140W alternator, AL's Moto Guzzi had a 360W alternator by comparison. I did a lot of night riding so the feeble alternator was not powerful enough to keep the battery fully charged, in Winter the battery was struggling to turn over the motor.

This was in the days before maintenance free batteries and battery tenders. The Laverda had to be travelling at 90 mph with no lights on before the alternator would charge the battery. I bought an Exide 40Ah car battery and installed it on the bike, it turned the motor over easily even on the coldest of mornings.

When Laverda introduced the 120 degree crank triples in 1982, they upgraded the alternator to 260W Nippon Denso item, that cured the battery charging problem.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I think my next battery will be a Lithium-Ion Battery they seem to have more crank power and are a lot lighter too just a bit expensive .
    Rob.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Ok Guys, Halfords delivered the Battery Yuasa HL-BS £82 within 24 Hours. Worth knowing that. I put the acid pack that came with the Battery in the Battery. Left it over night then this Morning Saturday. I removed old Battery from my Softail. Installed the new Battery snug fit but still some spare space they they do fit ok. The Only problem I had was I dropped the bloody terminal fixing screw however found it checked all over and all ok.. Pressed the start Button and it really turned the engine over Fast and Started straight away. I have left it now for the Battery Tender to do its job for a few days...I'm now ready for the season. Happy Camper.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hog-Rider For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (03-10-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    When my battery died on me I bought a MotoBat battery, has more cranking power than the original one, has a plastic fitment in case it's a smaller size, glass matt technology,,,,,,,,cost around 50 quid.