Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    I can't see where they're going to get all the electricity from to power thousands of electric vehicles on top of household appliances, TVs, phones, computers, lighting etc. Wind power won't be enough (even if it's windy everyday), coal stations are shutting down, we don't have any land for nuclear, leaving us with gas that we import.

Doubt we'll be seeing the end of the internal combustion engine any time soon, and they won't let the middle east collapse through a halt in oil revenues. I think a hybrid may be on the cards, it might be a good way of keeping the neighbours happy
    Alternative power will not generate enough power for the countries power. The flawed thinking is more electricity requires more or bigger power stations burning more fossil fuel. Very environmentally friendly.
    FTW )

My Ride
    Dyna Superglide
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Alternative power will not generate enough power for the countries power. The flawed thinking is more electricity requires more or bigger power stations burning more fossil fuel. Very environmentally friendly.
    I'm looking forwards to the machines starting a nuclear war and then using us as batteries.

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by reindeer View Post
    I'm looking forwards to the machines starting a nuclear war and then using us as batteries.
    FTW )

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Street Bob
    And dropped alta just as quick

My Ride
    2018 Sportster XL883N Iron & 2017 Breakout FXSB & Kawasaki ZX10 RR KRT & Honda Fireblade SP & others
    There are already electric bikes and cars on the road now, there will just be more as time goes by, all things will be electric, go and have a look at the big car showrooms eg Ocean BMW all their new cars plug into the electricity, I saw these in their showroom years ago, nothing new. electric stations ( as opposed to petrol stations) at main supermarkets, nothing new.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Just out of curiosity , how long will these batteries last in these new bikes/cars , my son who is 23 said he wouldn't buy an electric bike as the batteries themselves won't last longer than a few years and will cost a fortune to replace .
    Last edited by Pembsbiker; 01-07-2019 at 11:38 AM.

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    Tesla (car) batteries are warranted for eight years, would you buy a bike that needed a new power plant every eight years?

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnythefox View Post
    …….. would you buy a bike that needed a new power plant every eight years?
    With the M8 sumping issues some people have bought into a marque that need power-plant changes a lot quicker than 8 years. One poor guy was on his fourth engine at 6000 miles.

My work has two Nissan Leafs that cost (with subsidy) ballpark £25k each, three years later £5k was the trade in value and battery leasing for each cost £72 per month. I don't put £72 of fuel in my car per month. The maths do not add up to make electric worthwhile and with only a maximum 95 mile range on the Nissans not much use to me.
    Last edited by K9F; 01-07-2019 at 08:06 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    2018 Sportster XL883N Iron & 2017 Breakout FXSB & Kawasaki ZX10 RR KRT & Honda Fireblade SP & others
    A battery is like a fuel tank, it has to be filled up/topped up.

All these vehicles are electric including the Harley Davidson, there is not one of these I would not have, it is a case of moving on with the times and what is available.

A complete transition will not be for many years yet, vehicle batteries are far more advanced than you might think, I have driven and ridden in electric cars, if you have ever caught a Taxi in recent years, you may have been in an electric car without knowing it.

The public's attitudes change and accept the changes.

As with all things they come to the market slowly and expensive as time goes by they become more accepted, cheaper and mass produced with fierce competition by the sellers of the market, so I wont have to mothball my Breakout just yet.

nio_ep9_03.jpg

Nissan-Leaf.jpg

ElectricCharge.jpg

zero-sr-electric-motorbike.jpg

images.jpeg

Harley-Davidson-Livewire-Statics-026-582x388.jpg
    Last edited by geezer; 01-07-2019 at 12:17 PM.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    At last a few more snippets have been released.

Direct cut and paste as if I post the link it will disappear for moderation for a few days...…

Harley-Davidson dropped some important details about its forthcoming (and hotly anticipated) electric motorcycle, LiveWire. The motorcycle manufacturer announced it would begin taking preorders for its first electric two-wheeler, with deliveries expected later this fall. But it won’t come cheap: the LiveWire’s list price starts at $29,799.
    That’s significantly more than other electric motorcycles on the market today. Zero, which has been called the “Tesla of motorcycles,” sells its Zero S model starting at $10,995, and its longer-range Zero SR for $16,495. Of course, you’re not getting the premium branding and 116-year-old legacy that comes with Harley-Davidson’s nameplate, but you’re also saving nearly $20,000.
    0 to 60 mph in under 3.5 seconds
    Harley also released some specs for LiveWire. The bike will sprint from 0 to 60 mph in under 3.5 seconds, and because its electrically powered, it requires no clutch and no gear shifting, making it much simpler for new riders. Harley says it will be able to travel 110 city miles on a single charge, but doesn’t say how that translates on the highway. The original LiveWire prototype could get from 0–60mph in under four seconds, and had a range of about 55 miles in “economy” mode.
    LiveWire comes equipped with a telematics system called H-D Connect, which feeds data about the bike’s operations, including battery charging, service reminders, and possibly tampering, to the owner via Harley’s connected app. The motorcycle company claims LiveWire will be the first mass-market cellular-connected electric motorcycle.
    And just because it’s electric doesn’t mean motorcycle lovers have to sacrifice that distinctive rumble of speed. Harley says LiveWire is designed to produce “a new signature Harley-Davidson sound as it accelerates.”
    The company is mindful about keeping old customers as it seeks to attract new, more tech-focused riders. While the motorcycle industry as a whole has struggled since the 2008 financial crisis, Harley-Davidson in particular has suffered a number of losses and layoffs. It has also become one of President Trump’s most visible targets during his administration’s trade war.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!