Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnythefox View Post
    The point isn't even that Harley are planning for their future customers, future Governments are looking to ban the internal combustion engine in about thirty years time, so they have no choice but to develop alternatives.

Your right Johnny,

All motor companies are developing electric powered vehicles in readiness for the ban on internal combustion engines.

It's a case of adapt to conform to the up and coming restrictions or go out of business altogether.

Long may the Harley-Davidson Motor Company survive, even though they'll be producing eBikes.
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 03-06-2018 at 05:52 PM.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Because I am an old cynic and have been since I was in my mid-twenties, I always wonder what the motives behind certain governmental and organisations such as Microsoft etc moves are.

Take computers for example. In the first instance of them being made available to the public, they were just basic fairly hopeless items for the public to use - they were never originally intended for the public.

But it didn't take long for 'faster, better' machines being marketed - IE, the best versions since sliced bread. Thereafter and right up to date; the best versions since sliced bread keep coming.

In my opinion; Microsoft etc; always had the best versions since sliced bread stashed away ready for the next release of whatever; so they were upgraded in stages and not in one hit - Why? Because there are bigger profits to be made by selling expensive 'half useful' items and it keeps a lot of people in work.

With regard to doing away with internal combustion engines; what is the real reason?

Is it pollution? Is it dwindling natural resources? Is it global warming / climate change? Is it advancing technology?

Pollution: There will be more pollution from the manufacture and materials used in the production of electric vehicles.
    Natural resources: There are still plenty natural resources to feed this planet before something spectacular can replace them.
    Global Warming / Climate Change: Whatever it is, nothing will reverse it other than things beyond human control - it has always happened. Green Taxes do nothing towards it.
    Technology: I refer you to what I say about computers.

In conclusion: It is all about money, sales and scams to get us rushing with wads of cash to the next ill thought idea. I doubt it really has that much to do with keeping people in work other than to make more money for government and those already with loads of it.

Sorry and all that, but just think: Smart Meters: Many people have rushed to have them installed - they are not compulsory. And the bloody things don't work; the same as condensate boilers that pack up in cold weather; windmills generating electricity (except in wind).

Look at TV ads - Nearly every one features some sort of screen or computer based item; apart from the food ads.

It is all bollox.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (03-06-2018), Davie (03-06-2018), Face (03-07-2018), Whistler (03-08-2018)

My Ride
    Wide Glide
    certainly microsoft is bollox, nearly 50 years from an alleged man on the moon, and frickin windows 10 is the best they can come up with

as for the rest, money, it twas ever thus

did a test drive in a tesla, last weekend, and their rep genuinely thought that charging points and road tax would stay zero cost for ever, whilst forgetting about the shortfall for the future lost revenue from the ICE they are replacing

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rosswg For This Useful Post:

Whistler (03-06-2018)

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    I think most members who are against the "Livewire" are missing the point.

Harley-Davidson are planning bikes for their customer base in 20 to 30 years from now, they'll be young professional customers who'll care about the environment.

The current middle aged, bearded and tattooed H-D owners will either be dead or in a nursing home in thirty years time.

I admire Harley-Davidson trying to protect their future and ensuring they produce what their customers in 2048 will be willing to buy. The internal combustion engine will be outlawed by then, electric vehicles will be the only things available to the buying public.

Enjoy your noisy Harley's while you still can, the future is silent, the future's electric.

Attachment 8496 Attachment 8497
    Middle aged, tattoo,d and bearded. Summed me up to a tea . Don't think we're missing the point. As previously said I get the business acumen, in my case it's just expressing a dislike for an electric bike, HD or otherwise. Seem to remember this point coming up before and generally getting the same reaction . Suppose it's like any older generation taking exception with some newer ideas that buck trends they have gotten comfortable with. One last point, how would electric bikes, or cars for that matter, coped with delays and stop/start traffic, similar to that caused by the recent bad weather. I'd be surprised the lasted long enough to get to the next charging point. Na, not for me. The next generation can take care of itself. If they like electric bikes, then I'm happy for them.
    FTW )

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin'onabit View Post
    Because I am an old cynic and have been since I was in my mid-twenties, I always wonder what the motives behind certain governmental and organisations such as Microsoft etc moves are.

Take computers for example. In the first instance of them being made available to the public, they were just basic fairly hopeless items for the public to use - they were never originally intended for the public.

But it didn't take long for 'faster, better' machines being marketed - IE, the best versions since sliced bread. Thereafter and right up to date; the best versions since sliced bread keep coming.

In my opinion; Microsoft etc; always had the best versions since sliced bread stashed away ready for the next release of whatever; so they were upgraded in stages and not in one hit - Why? Because there are bigger profits to be made by selling expensive 'half useful' items and it keeps a lot of people in work.

With regard to doing away with internal combustion engines; what is the real reason?

Is it pollution? Is it dwindling natural resources? Is it global warming / climate change? Is it advancing technology?

Pollution: There will be more pollution from the manufacture and materials used in the production of electric vehicles.
    Natural resources: There are still plenty natural resources to feed this planet before something spectacular can replace them.
    Global Warming / Climate Change: Whatever it is, nothing will reverse it other than things beyond human control - it has always happened. Green Taxes do nothing towards it.

In conclusion: It is all about money, sales and scams to get us rushing with wads of cash to the next ill thought idea. I doubt it really has that much to do with keeping people in work other than to make more money for government and those already with loads of it.

Sorry and all that, but just think: Smart Meters: Many people have rushed to have them installed - they are not compulsory. And the bloody things don't work; the same as condensate boilers that pack up in cold weather; windmills generating electricity (except in wind).

Look at TV ads - Nearly every one features some sort of screen or computer based item; apart from the food ads.

It is all bollox.
    Well said that man
    FTW )

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Low Rider S
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin'onabit View Post

It is all bollox.
    Why blame the corporations? If people didn't keep buying the newest and "best" thing there would be no money to make.
    To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world

My Ride
    Most people are the equivalent of sheep. They just follow blindly and believe what they are told and sold.
    FTW )

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Most people are the equivalent of sheep. They just follow blindly and believe what they are told and sold.
    Ok Whistler,

ken.jpg

My Ride
    XL1200C
    I can't see where they're going to get all the electricity from to power thousands of electric vehicles on top of household appliances, TVs, phones, computers, lighting etc. Wind power won't be enough (even if it's windy everyday), coal stations are shutting down, we don't have any land for nuclear, leaving us with gas that we import.

Doubt we'll be seeing the end of the internal combustion engine any time soon, and they won't let the middle east collapse through a halt in oil revenues. I think a hybrid may be on the cards, it might be a good way of keeping the neighbours happy

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    Ok Whistler,

ken.jpg
    Let me explain. With any trend, there will always be a high percentage of people who will go for it blindly without looking at the thinking behind that trend or the implications. Hence sheep. There is already a growing number of people going for this new electric trend in this manner. I'm not saying electric cars or bikes are bad, flawed, but like everything they will have their place, hopefully not at the expense of the combustion engine. But what do I know I'm middle aged, bearded, tattoo,d, and apparently on the way out.
    FTW )