Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 1200 Sportster

Harley-Davidson has made an equity investment in Alta Motors

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Can't wait. Electric bikes, yippee. . Other than having the name on the tank , or whatever it is cause it would t hold fuel, there is nothing about an electric bike that appeals to me, especially a harley. I get that we are an aging market, but there are things that are essentially HD (aircooled v twin or variant being the main one). If that isn't there, for me, it's not a Harley. Shit , now I know how the old bikers felt when the evo engine came along. At least it still adhered to what harley is. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will embrace it.
    Last edited by Whistler; 03-02-2018 at 08:40 PM.
    FTW )

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    I've read an article on HD Forums in the USA that the motor company could be killing off the Sportster.

The Evolution Sportster motor is now 32 years old and according to the article it'll cost too much to make the old air cooled V-twin conform to the Euro 5 pollution laws. The Sportster motor is more expensive to produce than a Milwaukee 8 motor due to the man hours that it takes to build. Apparently H-D are loosing money on every XL883 that they build. The Street 750 and a proposed Street 1000 are thought to be the replacements for the Sportster after 2020.

If that's all to be believed the writing is on the wall for our beloved Sportster.

My Ride
    Wide Glide
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Can't wait. Electric bikes, yippee. . Other than having the name on the tank , or whatever it is cause it would t hold fuel, there is nothing about an electric bike that appeals to me, especially a harley. I get that we are an aging market, but there are things that are essentially HD (aircooled v twin or variant being the main one). If that isn't there, for me, it's not a Harley. Shit , now I know how the old bikers felt when the evo engine came along. At least it still adhered to what harley is. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will embrace it.
    indeed, agree totally, but HD have to survive

the sentence in the article as we disappear into the sunset "but it has been losing market share as its traditional riders age out of the hobby."

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    I've read an article on HD Forums in the USA that the motor company could be killing off the Sportster.

The Evolution Sportster motor is now 32 years old and according to the article it'll cost too much to make the old air cooled V-twin conform to the Euro 5 pollution laws. The Sportster motor is more expensive to produce than a Milwaukee 8 motor due to the man hours that it takes to build. Apparently H-D are loosing money on every XL883 that they build. The Street 750 and a proposed Street 1000 are thought to be the replacements for the Sportster after 2020.

If that's all to be believed the writing is on the wall for our beloved Sportster.
    Can't see the street taking over sportster sales. It's a seller, but sporties have always sold in big numbers. Think this might be folly on the part of the MOCO. Interesting to see how the new 1200s sell. I reckon it'll be a lot.
    FTW )

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by rosswg View Post
    indeed, agree totally, but HD have to survive

the sentence in the article as we disappear into the sunset "but it has been losing market share as its traditional riders age out of the hobby."
    Not disputing the theory behind the move in a business sense. Just on a personal level , not for me. I would rather have a good looking, and emission meeting jap cruiser, than a HD electric thingy, or a street for that matter. But as I'm probably classed as one of the ones leaving this hobby, it doesn't really apply to me. As an aside, for some off us it's a lifestyle, not a hobby. Hobbys are for motorcyclists. (Just saying)
    FTW )

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 1200 Sportster
    Electric bikes not for me like the old petrol powered ones

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Davie For This Useful Post:

Whistler (03-03-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I like bikes with proper engines, not those with a bloody fridge bolted to the frame.

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin'onabit View Post
    I like bikes with proper engines, not those with a bloody fridge bolted to the frame.
    I think most members who are against the "Livewire" are missing the point.

Harley-Davidson are planning bikes for their customer base in 20 to 30 years from now, they'll be young professional customers who'll care about the environment.

The current middle aged, bearded and tattooed H-D owners will either be dead or in a nursing home in thirty years time.

I admire Harley-Davidson trying to protect their future and ensuring they produce what their customers in 2048 will be willing to buy. The internal combustion engine will be outlawed by then, electric vehicles will be the only things available to the buying public.

Enjoy your noisy Harley's while you still can, the future is silent, the future's electric.

motorbike1.jpg lw.jpg
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 03-06-2018 at 12:45 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

Alec L (03-06-2018)

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    The point isn't even that Harley are planning for their future customers, future Governments are looking to ban the internal combustion engine in about thirty years time, so they have no choice but to develop alternatives.
    Last edited by Johnnythefox; 03-06-2018 at 12:02 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnnythefox For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (03-06-2018)