Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45
  1. #11
    Senior Member Gettin'onabit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Suffolk
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Posts
    836
    Thanked: 307
    If the OP is talking about a tank slapper type wobble or weave, one of the biggest causes of them is overtight headstock bearings.

    The nut or whatever controls the tightness of them (regardless of whether they are ball bearings or taper rollers) should only be a bit more than finger tight.

    In addition, lack of maintenance; dirt and no grease will cause similar problems.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Whistler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Posts
    3,423
    Thanked: 620
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin'onabit View Post
    If the OP is talking about a tank slapper type wobble or weave, one of the biggest causes of them is overtight headstock bearings.

    The nut or whatever controls the tightness of them (regardless of whether they are ball bearings or taper rollers) should only be a bit more than finger tight.

    In addition, lack of maintenance; dirt and no grease will cause similar problems.
    After reading the post again, it could be either . Your right about tank slappers and the cause. I know it's common on sports bikes etc, but would it be likely on Harleys with their weight and cruiser characteristics.
    FTW )

  3. #13
    Senior Member Gettin'onabit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Suffolk
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Posts
    836
    Thanked: 307
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    I know it's common on sports bikes etc, but would it be likely on Harleys with their weight and cruiser characteristics.
    I had a new Z400 once - remember them? Not exactly a lightweight bike. It used to do it regularly at various speeds between 30 and 90mph - I never knew at what speed and when it would do it.

    After much checking of the obvious things and removing topbox and carrier; plus changing tyres; it still did it. So, I took to my local Kawasaki dealer who was also a mate. His workshop guys couldn't find the issue even after they has played around with fork oil and rear suspension/swingarm. They contacted Kawasaki at Reading who agreed to look the bike over. They eventually found the lower headstock bearing was actually far too tight and it appeared it had been since it was installed from new.

    Kawasaki were very decent and not only repaired the bike but also gave me an 'expensive' voucher for use at the dealership.

    Because I had enough of the Z400 by then, I put the voucher to good use as part of the trade-in deal I did for another Kawasaki. (A 1000LTD believe it or not!)

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

    bluenose-1956 (02-24-2018)

  5. #14
    Senior Member Whistler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Posts
    3,423
    Thanked: 620
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin'onabit View Post
    I had a new Z400 once - remember them? Not exactly a lightweight bike. It used to do it regularly at various speeds between 30 and 90mph - I never knew at what speed and when it would do it.

    After much checking of the obvious things and removing topbox and carrier; plus changing tyres; it still did it. So, I took to my local Kawasaki dealer who was also a mate. His workshop guys couldn't find the issue even after they has played around with fork oil and rear suspension/swingarm. They contacted Kawasaki at Reading who agreed to look the bike over. They eventually found the lower headstock bearing was actually far too tight and it appeared it had been since it was installed from new.

    Kawasaki were very decent and not only repaired the bike but also gave me an 'expensive' voucher for use at the dealership.

    Because I had enough of the Z400 by then, I put the voucher to good use as part of the trade-in deal I did for another Kawasaki. (A 1000LTD believe it or not!)
    I remember the z400, a mate had one. Cheers for the info. It's not something g I've ever come across on any off my previous bikes.
    FTW )

  6. #15
    Senior Member bluenose-1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Halifax, United Kingdom.
    My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Posts
    4,012
    Thanked: 1400
    A guy I used to work with in the late seventies had a Z400, it was ill handling, overweight and under powered for it's class. Kawasaki even produced an ugly even worse handling "Factory Custom" version of the poor Z400 and named it the Z400 LTD.

    a3f41ee0920e9cca02b548d02557a596.jpg Kawasaki Z400LTD 84.jpg



    Incidentally it was miles better than it's bigger brother the Z750, a lumbering behemoth of a bike, it was morbidly obese with it's over complicated powerplant and it was also a sales flop for poor Kawasaki.

    Z_750_B1_B2_TWIN_77-78_3.jpg

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

    Alec L (02-25-2018)

  8. #16
    Senior Member Whistler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Posts
    3,423
    Thanked: 620
    Ah my youth was filled with Ill handling and under powered bikes. At the time I though they were great.
    Last edited by Whistler; 02-25-2018 at 11:16 PM.
    FTW )

  9. #17
    Senior Member bluenose-1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Halifax, United Kingdom.
    My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Posts
    4,012
    Thanked: 1400
    I passed my test on an ill handling under powered motorcycle, a red 1979 CB250N "SuperwetDream". The CB250N weighed almost as much as the CB400N which was a lot faster.

    hondacb250n-1979-1-1024x764.jpg
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 02-26-2018 at 01:48 AM.

  10. #18
    Senior Member Gettin'onabit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Suffolk
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Posts
    836
    Thanked: 307
    I passed my test on my mate's Lambretta Li 150.

    I didn't think my beat-up dirty green Francis Barnett 250cc Cruiser 80 which smoked like hell would go down well with the examiner.

    When I come to think of it now, I wonder if I was insured to ride the Lambretta.

    This what I bought when I traded my Z400 in - it is probably why I have always liked the 1000cc variants of the Kawasaki engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

    bluenose-1956 (02-26-2018)

  12. #19
    Senior Member bluenose-1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Halifax, United Kingdom.
    My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Posts
    4,012
    Thanked: 1400
    I had a 1969 Lambretta Li150 in 1978, it was the stablemate of my 1978 Honda TL125S. I couldn't get used to changing gear with my hand on the scooter, so I sold it to a workmate for £7, yes seven pounds. Shortly after he bought the Li, it was stolen by local kids and it ended up being dumped in a local beck (stream).

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

    Gettin'onabit (02-26-2018)

  14. #20
    Senior Member Gettin'onabit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Suffolk
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Posts
    836
    Thanked: 307
    £7.00 - those were the days.

    My Lambretta 150 LDB cost me £5 in 1968 (it was a dirty rusty cream colour) and I sold it in 1968 after it was cleaned up and painted Bright Red and British Racing Green; and then painted again in Black and Lilac!

    My Francis Barnett cost me £8.00 later in 1968 - it went from dirty rust green to Orange and Black; then I turned it into a sort of cafe racer, black frame; dark blue tank and light blue other bits, with ally mudguards. Then I crashed it.

    And then in 1969 came the 'thing' in my Avatar (the bike, I mean) - A 500 single Matchless; square tyres; a black rusty frame; with a dented gold tank, that I doubt belonged to it; black mudguards and blue side panel things - that cost me £5.00 and a Webley air pistol; but I sold it for £15.00 and a Webley air pistol!.

    After that came a procession of Brit bikes, including 500 Royal Enfield Bullet; Tiger Cub; Triumph Daytona; BSA Super Rocket and a Velocette Clubmans.

    Suddenly a YDS3 came my way (ugly bike IMO)and that was me on Jap bikes for several years.
    Last edited by Gettin'onabit; 02-26-2018 at 04:08 PM.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

    bluenose-1956 (02-26-2018)

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •