Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson road king custom 2005

Wobbles and Tyres.

I am wondering if you lot have had any problems with the wrong tyres in your bikes especially baggers/to users.
    As many of you probably know by now there are arguments for and against "death wobble" some riders profess to experiencing these problems whilst others blame wrong or poor tyres.with Harleys not be8ng a sports bike there is no need for fancy H rated track proven super sticky tyres.So what do we need to know about our choice of tyres and are they the correct choice once we have bought them.
    I would be very interested to hear if anyone has experienced death wobble be it on a bagger or any of the harley range.i have got the Dunlop ditchfinders on my road king at the moment,not my choice but I'm not discarding tyres with plenty of tread on.
    Please can as many of you forum members just reply with bike model/tyre choice/opinion.This would be really good and help with future tyre choice.Cheers.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SKID 1449 For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (02-17-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hi Skid,

Tyres have been discussed many times on this forum, for many of our members Avon Cobra AV71 and AV72 are the tyres of choice. Avon designed it's Cobra range specifically for Cruiser motorcycles. Avon tyres are designed and manufactured in the UK, for British roads and British weather conditions. Cobra's have a 10mm deep tread, they offer excellent stability, grip and mileage. They are available in whitewalls too. The side walls have a snakeskin pattern.

I still have my stock H-D branded Michelin Scorchers on my Iron, when it's time to change them I'll be buying Avon Cobra's.
    avon_cobra_pair_3.jpg avon-cobra-whitewall-pair.jpg
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 02-17-2018 at 02:36 PM.

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    I'm still on Scorchers, at the moment. Can't say I've experienced any problems with them, certainly no "death wobble".
    FTW )

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Had Scorchers break away numerous times in the wet greasy type roads we ride... they are cack !! Im not a Avon guru but I havent heard a bad word from any one who had them fitted... Im binning my scorchers asap... they are garbage !

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wide For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (02-18-2018)

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by wide View Post
    Had Scorchers break away numerous times in the wet greasy type roads we ride... they are cack !! Im not a Avon guru but I havent heard a bad word from any one who had them fitted... Im binning my scorchers asap... they are garbage !
    I've heard that about them, but on the rural roads out here I've had no problems. I'll just run them till they wear down, then I'll replace them with a set of whitewalls.
    FTW )

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    My rear Scorcher is skitterish in the wet, it simply won't grip a wet road.

As Wide said, Scorcher's are cack.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I think they must be made out of a very hard compound, which fabulously gives long life... I had 11k out of my rear... the trade off comes with inability to go around a damp bend safely

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wide For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (02-18-2018)

My Ride
    Been caught in heavy rain and greasy roads up here,+ the state of the roads due to farm traffic at certain times of the year is shocking. As I said, not had any problems, but not in the habit of pushing it hard in damp conditions due to all the crap that surfaces when it rains up here. Liking the longevity of the tyres
    FTW )

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Been caught in heavy rain and greasy roads up here,+ the state of the roads due to farm traffic at certain times of the year is shocking. As I said, not had any problems, but not in the habit of pushing it hard in damp conditions due to all the crap that surfaces when it rains up here. Liking the longevity of the tyres
    Until you want to use them up before buying new... to some who dont do much mileage that could be light years away!!!

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by wide View Post
    Until you want to use them up before buying new... to some who dont do much mileage that could be light years away!!!
    No problem racking up the mileage. Never have, it's just nice not to have to replace a rear tyre every 3.5k.
    FTW )