My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 2015 Fat Bob

Install a 12v Power Socket on a Fatbob

Evening all...

Has anyone on the forum got any experience of doing this mod or any advice on doing so?

I’m doing the NC500 this season and want to be able to charge my phone whilst on the bike as it will be doubling up as a satnav...

Grateful for any ideas etc...

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Ride
    FLHR Road King

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sooty For This Useful Post:

percysybil (02-13-2018)

My Ride
    Thanks Sooty... the Fatbob has a Canbus as far as I recall from doing the twin headlight mod so I’m wondering if I need something that caters for not upsetting that ??

My Ride
    FLHR Road King
    I would not expect any problems with the Canbus if you are running a fused connection directly off the battery as the bike wiring will not know anything about it. You either pay a few quid and have a go or get an auto electrician in.

My Ride
    FLHR Road King
    USB Charger

Although looking at the USB Charger on eBay it seems it has the same connector as the charging socket on my Road King (standard later HD connection). You should be able to just plug it in and maybe get a longer phone lead if you want to keep the phone up by the handlebars. Worth a punt for £12 with no disruption

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sooty For This Useful Post:

percysybil (02-16-2018)

My Ride
    Suzuki Gladius
    Quote Originally Posted by percysybil View Post
    I’m doing the NC500 this season and want to be able to charge my phone whilst on the bike as it will be doubling up as a satnav
    You can get a thing called a power bank that's a portable charger for your phone. If you use a power bank plugged into your phone whilst using the satnav, it will either charge up the phone, keep the charge level, or slow down its discharge. It's probably only possible to use a power bank if you're taking voice commands from your satnav through a earpiece in your helmet, as you'd need to protect them from rain inside your jacket. A power bank would be a cheaper option, and would keep the battery on your bike at an optimum level.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Face For This Useful Post:

percysybil (02-16-2018)

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by sooty View Post
    USB Charger

Although looking at the USB Charger on eBay it seems it has the same connector as the charging socket on my Road King (standard later HD connection). You should be able to just plug it in and maybe get a longer phone lead if you want to keep the phone up by the handlebars. Worth a punt for £12 with no disruption
    Sooty.... I’ve ordered one of these along with a long charging lead for the iPhone... I’ll post up some pics when I do the install in the next couple of weeks