My Ride
    Softail Heritage Classic 2001

Battery help please ?

Hello you guys/gals. For the second time this winter I have got the battery on charge. The charger is telling me it is fully charged after just three hours. How is this possible ? On both occasions the battery could turn over the engine but not enough for it to start. I probably won't be riding the bike until maybe second week in March. I guess it'll need another charge before then.

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Hello you guys/gals. For the second time this winter I have got the battery on charge. The charger is telling me it is fully charged after just three hours. How is this possible ? On both occasions the battery could turn over the engine but not enough for it to start. I probably won't be riding the bike until maybe second week in March. I guess it'll need another charge before then.
    Are you using a charger or a tender. I have an optimate tender. I don't have the luxury of leaving the tender on when the bike is in the outhouse due to no power. What works for me over the winter is putting the tender on the bike every 2weeks for the day. Seems to work well and the battery is in good shape. HD s have big old engines to turn over, and need a decent run to recharge the battery when your turning the bike over. Another thing you could do turn the bike over every so often between charging and let it run for half an hour. Gets the oil round the motor.
    FTW )

My Ride
    V Twin
    Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Sounds like the battery isn't holding the charge, maybe a new battery?

Here's a good thread on a battery optimiser http://harleyforum.org.uk/showthread...tery-optimiser

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    How old is the battery, if it's more than 5 years old best to invest in a new one.

My Ride
    Softail Heritage Classic 2001
    I have no way of knowing how old the battery is unfortunately but I am using a charger not a tender. By the sound of that link posted I should expect the battery to be almost flat every three weeks which is exactly what is happening. If we get a really nice day I'll fire it up for a while and give it a warm up.