Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200L
    Posts
    65
    Thanked: 24
    Not a left hooker Dave, just the bike has to go in the garage backwards with the n/s next to the wall (or more accurately my trailer leaning against the wall!). My other two bikes are traditional Brit kickstart on the right types, as have the majority been in the last 50+ years, so I am used to getting on from the right. Having forward controls on the Sportster resets my mind to l/h gears and r/h brake (most of the time!).
    Seems we have gone in the opposite directions with the shocks, I took off the stock 11 5/8” chrome jobs and fitted 2017 13 1/4” gas Showa shocks from........an Iron!

    Al, I don’t think I could lift it up off the 7” jiffy stand! The problem with my legs is more knackered knees from all those kickstarts ( I refer to it as Velocette knee ��) and the fat Sundowner dual seat I have to get over. Comfy once your aboard though, so it’s staying!

    Pete C.
    Last edited by Oldvelonut; 03-05-2018 at 02:37 PM.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Oldvelonut For This Useful Post:

    bluenose-1956 (03-05-2018)

  3. #32
    Senior Member Gettin'onabit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Suffolk
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Posts
    700
    Thanked: 232
    I never got the advance and retard lever in the right place when starting - so I not only have Royal Enfield 500 Bullet knee; but also Matchless 500 single (as per avatar); and Velocette Venom Thruxton damage to it. Bloody valve lifters weren't much use either.

    I get on the Sportster from either side, with a preference for the left side. Mine gets driven up a ramp through single door and down a ramp to get it the workshop (where there isn't much room because madam keeps chucking stuff in there) and when I get the bike out, I have to push it up te short ramp backwards from the left side. When it is at the top of the ramp, I get on from the left side and jiggle it out of the doorway until it can roll backwards down the outside ramp.

    The worst bit is getting it moving backwards on the workshop floor because I have old carpet tiles in there - they seem to grab the tyres a bit!

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

    bluenose-1956 (03-05-2018)

  5. #33
    Senior Member bluenose-1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Halifax, United Kingdom.
    My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Posts
    3,594
    Thanked: 1214
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldvelonut View Post
    Not a left hooker Dave, just the bike has to go in the garage backwards with the n/s next to the wall (or more accurately my trailer leaning against the wall!). My other two bikes are traditional Brit kickstart on the right types, as have the majority been in the last 50+ years, so I am used to getting on from the right. Having forward controls on the Sportster resets my mind to l/h gears and r/h brake (most of the time!).
    Seems we have gone in the opposite directions with the shocks, I took off the stock 11 5/8” chrome jobs and fitted 2017 13 1/4” gas Showa shocks from........an Iron!

    Al, I don’t think I could lift it up off the 7” jiffy stand! The problem with my legs is more knackered knees from all those kickstarts ( I refer to it as Velocette knee ��) and the fat Sundowner dual seat I have to get over. Comfy once your aboard though, so it’s staying!

    Pete C.
    Thanks Pete,

    I did my fair share of kick starting with my old TR7RV, T140E, and my T160V when the electric starter refused to turn over the motor. The worst kick starting experience I had was with my little 1959 C15 when the timing was out, I kicked her over she kicked back and my knee hit my chin.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

    Gettin'onabit (03-06-2018)

  7. #34
    Senior Member bluenose-1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Halifax, United Kingdom.
    My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Posts
    3,594
    Thanked: 1214
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin'onabit View Post
    I never got the advance and retard lever in the right place when starting - so I not only have Royal Enfield 500 Bullet knee; but also Matchless 500 single (as per avatar); and Velocette Venom Thruxton damage to it. Bloody valve lifters weren't much use either.

    I get on the Sportster from either side, with a preference for the left side. Mine gets driven up a ramp through single door and down a ramp to get it the workshop (where there isn't much room because madam keeps chucking stuff in there) and when I get the bike out, I have to push it up te short ramp backwards from the left side. When it is at the top of the ramp, I get on from the left side and jiggle it out of the doorway until it can roll backwards down the outside ramp.

    The worst bit is getting it moving backwards on the workshop floor because I have old carpet tiles in there - they seem to grab the tyres a bit!

    Ok AL,

    I noticed your carpet tiles in your stand extension photos, I though "that's posh". I just have a cold concrete floor in my garage.

    North, South divide me thinks.

  8. #35
    Senior Member Gettin'onabit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Suffolk
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Posts
    700
    Thanked: 232
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    Ok AL,

    I noticed your carpet tiles in your stand extension photos, I though "that's posh". I just have a cold concrete floor in my garage.

    North, South divide me thinks.
    Nah. they were on my kitchen floor for fifteen years - well battered (she dropped the fish and chips) and dirty - we are in rural area and there is a thing called mud.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

    bluenose-1956 (03-06-2018)

  10. #36
    Senior Member Gettin'onabit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Suffolk
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Posts
    700
    Thanked: 232
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    Thanks Pete,

    I did my fair share of kick starting with my old TR7RV, T140E, and my T160V when the electric starter refused to turn over the motor. The worst kick starting experience I had was with my little 1959 C15 when the timing was out, I kicked her over she kicked back and my knee hit my chin.
    Lucky the C15 wasn't an Enfield Bullet 500 - I was 14 when I got that and weighed about 8.5 stones. I was flung up and off.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

    bluenose-1956 (03-06-2018)

  12. #37
    Senior Member bluenose-1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Halifax, United Kingdom.
    My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Posts
    3,594
    Thanked: 1214
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin'onabit View Post
    Nah. they were on my kitchen floor for fifteen years - well battered (she dropped the fish and chips) and dirty - we are in rural area and there is a thing called mud.

    Thanks AL,

    I thought people who live south of Sheffield are all posh.

    I live in the countryside too you know.

    IMG_4176.jpg

  13. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200L
    Posts
    65
    Thanked: 24
    Carpet tiles are a great idea, my garage got a bit wet in that last deluge and the piece of red carpet just inside the door has dyed my hands. The floor level is below both the drive and the damp course on the walls so, water is always seeping in if it p*sses down. Must sort it, been on the list since we moved in 13 years ago!

  14. #39
    Senior Member Gettin'onabit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Suffolk
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Posts
    700
    Thanked: 232
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    Thanks AL,

    I thought people who live south of Sheffield are all posh.

    I live in the countryside too you know.
    You reckon that is the country, Dave?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •