Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson

Jiffy stand question

Just 1-1/4" longer shocks has me worrying about the lean angle when the stand is down - it looks a bit severe.

So do I need to carry a brick around with me?

Alternatively do I need a longer stand or shorter one with a steeper angle?

2007 Low model seems to be a bit different to other stands - I had to get a spring and bush / pin kit that fits a Softail. I thought they were all the same.

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin'onabit View Post
    Just 1-1/4" longer shocks has me worrying about the lean angle when the stand is down - it looks a bit severe.

So do I need to carry a brick around with me?

Alternatively do I need a longer stand or shorter one with a steeper angle?

2007 Low model seems to be a bit different to other stands - I had to get a spring and bush / pin kit that fits a Softail. I thought they were all the same.

Hello AL,

Your not the first Sportster owner to find this problem when upgrading their rear shocks. One solution is to buy an XR1200 jiffy stand.

See the image below.

NewKickstand_zpsa6a90ebc (1).jpg

H-D do make different jiffy stands for different shock lengths.

Cheers,

Dave.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

Gettin'onabit (02-11-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    That is exactly what I have in the way of before and after - although I don't think it will fall over, I keep checking on it.

At the moment in the workshop, there is a pack of wood under it - total thickness 48mm.

A bit too much to add in the way of an aluminium block, IMO.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    Hello AL,

Your not the first Sportster owner to find this problem when upgrading their rear shocks. One solution is to buy an XR1200 jiffy stand.

See the image below.

H-D do make different jiffy stands for different shock lengths.

Cheers,

Dave.
    Any idea of a full model number or part number, please Dave?

BTW - someone suggested I should fit a lowering kit but having studied loads of images of these, IMO they defeat the object of getting more travel in the shocks - in fact the angle of the shocks once lowered suggests two things 1) Excessive wear on the seals and piston rod; 2) Significantly reduced effectiveness of the shocks.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (02-12-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Any idea of a full model number or part number, please Dave?

BTW - someone suggested I should fit a lowering kit but having studied loads of images of these, IMO they defeat the object of getting more travel in the shocks - in fact the angle of the shocks once lowered suggests two things 1) Excessive wear on the seals and piston rod; 2) Significantly reduced effectiveness of the shocks.

Hello AL,

The part number for the XR1200 jiffy stand is 50124-09BHP, it's a bit pricey at £113.97 from Jersey H-D. Mainland dealers will add the dreaded 20% VAT on top of that.

Here is a photo of an Iron 883 with longer shocks and an XR1200 jiffy stand installed.

fdbaf0daaaf01df506a0848c18ed5c7d--for-the.jpg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

Gettin'onabit (02-12-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Thanks Dave - I will see what I can find in 'used' first. Mine is black so a coat of paint isn't a problem.

AL

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Thanks Dave - I will see what I can find in 'used' first. Mine is black so a coat of paint isn't a problem.

AL

Hi AL,

I have an aftermarket jiffy stand (German made) in my mates workshop, it's unused and it's black. I'm not sure if it is suitable for my jiffy stand cutout switch sensor, these switches were introduced on Sportster's in 2009, so your 'Low' won't have one. I'm now thinking of having my stock chrome stand powder coated black.

If you're interested in the black stand, let me know and I'll take some photos and measurements.

Cheers,

Dave.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

Gettin'onabit (02-13-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Worth a try Dave. Yes please take some measurements. Crucial ones would be length of stand from 'ground' to clevis pin centre at the bottom; plus the clevis pin diameter and the pin boss 'length'. You are right, I don't have a cut-out switch (TFFT - Most of them on the Ducatis get by-passed anyway). Perhaps add the dimensions to a photo?

Thanks, AL

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (02-13-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hello AL,

I'll be going to my mates workshop tomorrow, I'll take some photos of the stand when I get it home. My 2011 Iron does have a cutout switch for the stand so I'll stick with the stock stand and get it powder coated black.

My 1980 Benelli Sei also has a cutout switch for the side stand, so H-D were slow off the mark adding their's almost three decades later.

Regards,

Dave.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

Gettin'onabit (02-13-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I shall shortly be heading outside in this freezing cold wind to walk 7 metres to the workshop so I can measure mine.

Apparently and as far as I can ascertain I need an 8" stand as mine is probably a 7" one. I will confirm later.

I'm not sure Harley should have introduced the jiffy stand cut out switch - I found them more of a damn nuisance than an aid when you don't have a centrestand.

Same goes for auto flip-up stands - I modded my Ducati so it didn't do that as do many Ducati owners; but it was impossible to do the Guzzi one - because of where it was mounted, I couldn't reach it with my little legs when sitting on the bike!