Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    My Ride
    XL883 Low
    Posts
    52
    Thanked: 10

    Dunlop D401 VS new dunlop American elite tyres ?

    I have a xl883 low 2006 19" front 16" rear, has anyone with similar bike to mine gone from the standard fit Dunlop D401's to the new Dunlop American elite range ?

    Not much in it price wise although the new tyre has a better rating for fuel economy as a touring tire anyone tried these thanks !!

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to HU3436 For This Useful Post:

    bluenose-1956 (02-09-2018)

  3. #2
    Senior Member Whistler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Fife
    My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Posts
    3,427
    Thanked: 620
    I haven't, but m quite happy with the scorchers. Although I'll be replacing them when they need it for whitewalls. If you look at previous posts, there are a few about tyre choices
    FTW )

  4. #3
    Senior Member bluenose-1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Halifax, United Kingdom.
    My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Posts
    4,042
    Thanked: 1410
    Many of our members run on Avon Cobra's.

    Avon are the only motorcycle tyre manufacturer in the UK.

    Avon tyres are made in Britain for British road conditions and British weather, Cobra's are a great all rounder and they were designed for Cruisers. Cobra's have a 10mm deep tread, so as well as offering great grip, they last a long time too.

    They're also available with whitewalls.

    Dunlop tyres are now made in Japan.

    avon_cobra_pair_3.jpg avon-cobra-whitewall-pair.jpg
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 02-09-2018 at 01:42 AM.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

    Alec L (02-09-2018), HU3436 (03-05-2018)

  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Ireland
    My Ride
    Dyna Superglide
    Posts
    108
    Thanked: 55
    How does Dunlop save money making tyres in Japan?! OK. Anyhow - love my Avons. Ride well, handle well, lasts well.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to reindeer For This Useful Post:

    bluenose-1956 (02-13-2018)

  8. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    My Ride
    XL883 Low
    Posts
    52
    Thanked: 10
    fyi i decided to go with the avons im ordering them tonight
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    Many of our members run on Avon Cobra's.

    Avon are the only motorcycle tyre manufacturer in the UK.

    Avon tyres are made in Britain for British road conditions and British weather, Cobra's are a great all rounder and they were designed for Cruisers. Cobra's have a 10mm deep tread, so as well as offering great grip, they last a long time too.

    They're also available with whitewalls.

    Dunlop tyres are now made in Japan.

    avon_cobra_pair_3.jpg avon-cobra-whitewall-pair.jpg

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to HU3436 For This Useful Post:

    bluenose-1956 (03-05-2018)

  10. #6
    Senior Member bluenose-1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Halifax, United Kingdom.
    My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Posts
    4,042
    Thanked: 1410
    Quote Originally Posted by HU3436 View Post
    fyi i decided to go with the avons im ordering them tonight

    Great choice, you won't regret it.

  11. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Brackley
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Low Rider S
    Posts
    281
    Thanked: 63
    Quote Originally Posted by HU3436 View Post
    fyi i decided to go with the avons im ordering them tonight
    Let us know how they work out, anything must be an improvement over the scorchers fitted to my bike, they remind me of the Jap nylon tyres fitted in the 70's when the road is cold or damp.
    To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to xbpod For This Useful Post:

    HU3436 (03-07-2018)

  13. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    My Ride
    XL883 Low
    Posts
    52
    Thanked: 10
    I'll get back on what they're like once fitted later this month, they arrive at my allocated shop today, and its just a case of getting my overwintered 883 low back out again i have to ride the bike back home 50 miles to get the new tyres fitted so i'll get a feel for the old Dunlop's before they get taken off and replaced. Maybe in the next week depending on the forecast.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to HU3436 For This Useful Post:

    xbpod (03-07-2018)

  15. #9
    Senior Member bluenose-1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Halifax, United Kingdom.
    My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Posts
    4,042
    Thanked: 1410
    Quote Originally Posted by xbpod View Post
    Let us know how they work out, anything must be an improvement over the scorchers fitted to my bike, they remind me of the Jap nylon tyres fitted in the 70's when the road is cold or damp.
    I remember in the 1970's my new Honda's had Yokohama tyres fitted as stock, they were made from a hard nylon compound which seemed to last forever but offered little or no grip. They must have been Teflon coated as nothing stuck to them, my mates and myself called them Yokikoakies.

    Motorcycle-Tire-Yokohama-Y-623-325-x-19-NOS-_57.jpg


    Eastern Bloc tyres were even worse than the Jap offerings, especially the Barum brand which were fitted as stock by Jawa and CZ. Yuk.

    1975-cz175-enduro-low-miles-all-original-down-to-the-tires-complete-running-bike-12.jpg

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

    xbpod (03-07-2018)

  17. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Brackley
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Low Rider S
    Posts
    281
    Thanked: 63
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    I remember in the 1970's my new Honda's had Yokohama tyres fitted as stock, they were made from a hard nylon compound which seemed to last forever but offered little or no grip. They must have been Teflon coated as nothing stuck to them, my mates and myself called them Yokikoakies.

    Motorcycle-Tire-Yokohama-Y-623-325-x-19-NOS-_57.jpg


    Eastern Bloc tyres were even worse than the Jap offerings, especially the Barum brand which were fitted as stock by Jawa and CZ. Yuk.

    1975-cz175-enduro-low-miles-all-original-down-to-the-tires-complete-running-bike-12.jpg
    Hi Dave, those Yokohama are the ones, those were the days tyres with no grip and disc brakes with a 5 second delay when wet.
    To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to xbpod For This Useful Post:

    bluenose-1956 (03-07-2018)

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •