My Ride
    XL1200C

Colour Change and Custom Paint Job

Anyone any experience with changing the colour of a Harley? The new colour would need to be updated onto the V5 and would show up on a vehicle check as an adverse warning (had experience of this from a well known motorcycle dealer, log book said green but the bike was clearly black). The reason I ask is because generally, bikes of a certain colour seem to be cheaper and better looked after than say a black bike.

Also whilst I've been looking for a Harley I found a XL883R Roadster with a custom paint job on the tank matched with the fenders, and it's opened up yet another avenue in my search, anyone know any custom painters somewhere in the north of England and any ideas on price?

Apologies in advance if changing the colour of a Harley is seen as sacrilege.

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Not sacrilege at all, customising is what makes the HD world go round. You have Rapier Paint Work in Hull. Paint work is usually expensive, but worth it if you get a good painter. You could also look further afield as you could post the parts for paint. Look at the work of Percy Badbrush, Flakry Dave and Ty Lawler, DDK Custom Airbrushing in particular
    FTW )

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Whistler For This Useful Post:

Face (02-09-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hi Face,

I believe,

Paint my Ride in Richmond, North Yorkshire are excellent custom painters. They also have a paint training school.

Their web page is www.paintmyride-uk.co.uk/

Here is some of their work :-

micks_01.jpgmicks_02.jpgmicks_03.jpgmicks_04.jpg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

Face (02-09-2018)

My Ride
    XL1200C
    Great stuff Whistler and Bluenose, checked out their work and it's something I'd be interested in. Doing a custom paint job would be more of a long term project, and I'd have to lower my budget for buying a Harley to offset the cost of a paint job, which will narrow my choices, but it's definitely worth considering. Really interested in the painting course at Paint My Ride. Saddleworth and West Yorkshire (although unofficially Saddleworth IS in Yorkshire) has been my training ground and it's a lovely place to ride, might be a good excuse to venture further north and gain a skill at the same time. Excellent, thank you very much!

My Ride
    Just a suggestion, don't lower your budget for buying a harley, get the best you can afford. The bike can evolve from there. Paint wise, you could start with pin striping if your looking to individualise your tank, fenders, oil bag etc. It can look very effective and would be significantly cheaper. As I say, just a suggestion
    FTW )

My Ride
    Wide Glide
    as an add on to whistlers comment, unless, you are going for an alternative stock colour, the chances are, you will reduce the value of your bike

if that matters to you now or could in the future, i would have a quick word with a dealer, to verify my point

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by rosswg View Post
    as an add on to whistlers comment, unless, you are going for an alternative stock colour, the chances are, you will reduce the value of your bike

if that matters to you now or could in the future, i would have a quick word with a dealer, to verify my point
    If you look at the classifieds in the custom mags, the amount spent on a bike like a harley, plus the extra with customisation never equates to the selling price.
    FTW )

My Ride
    XL1200C
    Quote Originally Posted by rosswg View Post
    , if that matters to you now or could in the future, i would have a quick word with a dealer, to verify my point
    I doubt I'll make a profit, but I've been looking at loads of Sportsters and noticed some are below my budget and would free up money for gear, security, meets, insurance etc. Looking at other bikes with custom paint and comparing them with similar bikes in terms of age and mileage, they do tend to be more expensive, so I would have a more valuable asset in the garage and something that's my creation. I wouldn't want to paint it with something too personal, better something more generic so it would be easier to sell.

Here's one I've been looking at, a maroon coloured 2007 (rubber mounted engine, fuel injected) XL883 XLH with only 1890 miles, up for grabs at £4,490.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...=ol35un&page=1

I'd be able to save up for the paint job whilst I get myself acquainted with the bike. I quite like the colour anthracite with some kind of design or pin striping.

My Ride
    It's a nice example, good mileage etc. Me, I'd be personalizing the hell out of it, sod the selling it on, but I do get where your coming from. Be good to hear how you get on when you get your bike
    FTW )

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    That looks like a nice clean bike good luck getting it.
    Rob.