Thread: ABS option ?

My Ride
    Dyna Wide Glide

ABS option ?

Does anybody know whether ABS was standard or optional on a 2014 Superlow XL883L? I would like to remove mine but don't want to create problems for myself with future MOT/insurance companies telling me I have invalidated a technical/mechanical safety requirement blah blah blah.

Thanks All

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does anybody know whether ABS was standard or optional on a 2014 Superlow XL883L? I would like to remove mine but don't want to create problems for myself with future MOT/insurance companies telling me I have invalidated a technical/mechanical safety requirement blah blah blah.

Thanks All
    Hi Glenn,

ABS was optional on Sportster's from 2014 to 2017 model years. all 2018 Sportster's have ABS as standard.

Don't see why you can't legally retrofit your 2014 ABS equipped "883 Low" to a conventional braking system. You'll have to remove all traces of the ABS system to make your bike legal though. The ABS wheel bearings will need to be swapped for non-ABS type H-D part 9276B or 6205-2RS on both wheels. The ABS bearing is 18mm thick and the non-ABS bearing is 15mm thick, so you'll need to swap the left hand wheel spacers too.

Good luck.
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 01-30-2018 at 09:02 PM.

My Ride
    Dyna Wide Glide
    Thanks Bluenose that's really helpful. I bought the bike for a good price from a dealer and plan to customise/Bob/retro it over time which includes removing the ABS and the EFI. I appreciate your advice and guidance.

Best

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Thanks Bluenose that's really helpful. I bought the bike for a good price from a dealer and plan to customise/Bob/retro it over time which includes removing the ABS and the EFI. I appreciate your advice and guidance.

Best
    Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your kind reply,

The wheel spacer which replaces the ABS sensor is H-D part number 41242-08, you'll need to buy two as it's on both wheels on non-ABS bikes, the price is £9.63 each from mainland H-D dealers. I have Dunlop wheel bearings for sale which replace the non-ABS H-D part 9276B. They're £10 a pair including P&P, if you're interested send me a PM.

Cheers,

Dave.

My Ride
    Dyna Wide Glide
    I definitely will. That will probably happen next Autumn along with removing the EFI on which advice regarding the replacement of would also be appreciated should you have any. For now I have bought a longer front brake hose so I can fit some 'Apes' which due to it being ABS had to include a 'manifold' or 'T' block that connects all the lines front and rear... The hoses are not removable hence an expensive intermediate way round but I want the bike on the road and as someone who has only basic mechanic skills and works full time every project tends to be slow and takes pondered over prior to doing it.

Thanks again Dave, Top man

Glenn