Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Sportster Iron 883 2017
    My first ever experience of Harley's is one of sadness and surprise.
    When we lived in Glenrothes, my dad saw an advert in the local paper with a 1995 Electra-Glide Classic for sale.
    Packed up in car and straight out, dealer was just outside Perth, not sure on name, but the dealer had a BMW shop and (unbeknownst to my Dad) a second hand shop.
    He goes in (to the BMW place) and asks about the bike in the paper, guy responds "nothing but BMW's here mate" cue sad face. Lol
    Then just as we're leaving, "it might be in the other shop we've got up the road"
    Spirits lifted!
    Go to next place, same question, same response.
    Then an old boy from out the back, "A Harley! Yeah, we had one around here some where"
    So the hunt was on.
    Then, eventually and very close to giving up, under a massive pile of empty cardboard boxes, tah-dah! Harley.
    Battery flat as shit, but a jump and it started straight off.
    The sad part is that the previous owner had slightly mistreated it, along with the garage.
    And surprise at the fact a dealer would treat something as awesome (to a then 11 or so y/o) as a Harley Davidson!!
    Anyhoo, bike has been fully restored, came stage 2 tuned and sounds like a true mega storm being contained in an engine!!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to corpse877 For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (01-30-2018)

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    Hey Whistler,

I think you mean Carrbridge, it's a double r.

My father sold his old 1936 Ford model Y in Carrbridge in 1960.

I spent some very happy years in the Strathspey area.
    Been a long busy day, you'll need to excuse me and the spell checker on my tablet.
    FTW )

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by corpse877 View Post
    My first ever experience of Harley's is one of sadness and surprise.
    When we lived in Glenrothes, my dad saw an advert in the local paper with a 1995 Electra-Glide Classic for sale.
    Packed up in car and straight out, dealer was just outside Perth, not sure on name, but the dealer had a BMW shop and (unbeknownst to my Dad) a second hand shop.
    He goes in (to the BMW place) and asks about the bike in the paper, guy responds "nothing but BMW's here mate" cue sad face. Lol
    Then just as we're leaving, "it might be in the other shop we've got up the road"
    Spirits lifted!
    Go to next place, same question, same response.
    Then an old boy from out the back, "A Harley! Yeah, we had one around here some where"
    So the hunt was on.
    Then, eventually and very close to giving up, under a massive pile of empty cardboard boxes, tah-dah! Harley.
    Battery flat as shit, but a jump and it started straight off.
    The sad part is that the previous owner had slightly mistreated it, along with the garage.
    And surprise at the fact a dealer would treat something as awesome (to a then 11 or so y/o) as a Harley Davidson!!
    Anyhoo, bike has been fully restored, came stage 2 tuned and sounds like a true mega storm being contained in an engine!!

Good tale.

Harley were not that common or popular in Scotland when I was young. The main dealer when I was young was Alvins, down Leith Walk. We all rode jap bikes, I only had one mate that rode a sporty in the early 80s. At that time they were out of price range and to slow. If only I knew then what I know now .
    FTW )

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Sportster Iron 883 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Good tale.

Harley were not that common or popular in Scotland when I was young. The main dealer when I was young was Alvins, down Leith Walk. We all rode jap bikes, I only had one mate that rode a sporty in the early 80s. At that time they were out of price range and to slow. If only I knew then what I know now .
    I know Alvin's very well, was the nearest main dealer to us too. Many a times I remember being there in amazement at every shiny part or every piece of leather clothing (the leather butt-less chaps maybe not so much now) but yeah loved that shop.

I'm sure if the dealer knew the real resale value of that bike, it would've been either tarted up and made presentable for mega money or sold as was but still charged more than they did.

My dad started on British, then on to Honda and BMW, then saw sense and went Harley.
    However, he now has a Gold wing, R1200GS and the Harley, so he probably never really got over any of the previous (although the British stuff stayed where it should be)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to corpse877 For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (01-30-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    My 1980 Benelli 900 Sei was originally sold by Alvin's, the second owner lived in Glasgow, he sold it to Steve Rhodes Motorcycles in Bradford in 1986. I traded in my Laverda 1200TS in against the Benelli, the Laverda was just too thirsty for me, only returning 27 miles from a gallon of 4-Star.

I still have the Benelli.

Harley-Davidson's have been popular here in West Yorkshire for as long as I can remember. Satan's Slaves in Shipley and Blue Angels in Leeds have ridden Harley's for decades. Before we had an official H-D dealership there was an independent Harley-Davidson dealer in Castleford. Rooley Lane Motorcycles, Bradford Motorcycle Centre and Steve Rhodes Motorcycles, all in Bradford also sold Harley's. Lee Brothers Motorcycles in Sowerby Bridge sold the Italian built H-D two-stroke singles.

The first time I saw an XLCR 1000 in the metal was at Rooley Lane Motorcycles in 1977, it was love at first sight but the Cafe Racer's asking price was way beyond my pocket. XLCR's are now selling for around £20K to £25K, still way beyond my pocket.

My Ride
    My 1980 Benelli 900 Sei was originally sold by Alvin's, the second owner lived in Glasgow, he sold it to Steve Rhodes Motorcycles in Bradford in 1986. I traded in my Laverda 1200TS in against the Benelli, the Laverda was just too thirsty for me, only returning 27 miles from a gallon of 4-Star.

Harley-Davidson's have been popular here in West Yorkshire for as long as I can remember. Satan's Slaves in Shipley and Blue Angels in Leeds have ridden Harley's for decades. Before we had an official H-D dealership there was an independent Harley-Davidson dealer in Castleford. Rooley Lane Motorcycles, Bradford Motorcycle Centre and Steve Rhodes Motorcycles, all in Bradford also sold Harley's. Lee Brothers Motorcycles in Sowerby Bridge sold the Italian built H-D two-stroke singles.

The first time I saw an XLCR 1000 in the metal was at Rooley Lane Motorcycles in 1977, it was love at first sight but the Cafe Racer's asking price was way beyond my pocket. XLCR's are now selling for around £20K to £25K, still way beyond my pocket.
    Have to be honest, whilst I was always into custom bikes, I did the harley bug late. Important thing is I did get it, bad. I don't think I could own another marque now.
    FTW )

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by corpse877 View Post
    I know Alvin's very well, was the nearest main dealer to us too. Many a times I remember being there in amazement at every shiny part or every piece of leather clothing (the leather butt-less chaps maybe not so much now) but yeah loved that shop.

I'm sure if the dealer knew the real resale value of that bike, it would've been either tarted up and made presentable for mega money or sold as was but still charged more than they did.

My dad started on British, then on to Honda and BMW, then saw sense and went Harley.
    However, he now has a Gold wing, R1200GS and the Harley, so he probably never really got over any of the previous (although the British stuff stayed where it should be)

Alvins was,a bit different to the normal jap dealerships. They expanded to Portobello and then went out of business years later.
    FTW )

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL883R
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Alvins was,a bit different to the normal jap dealerships. They expanded to Portobello and then went out of business years later.
    Yeah, I used to use Alvins a lot, first in the back of Leith Walk and then Portobello where they went all corporate. Used to get them to service my Ducatis, and had a test ride on the Buell Lightning when it came out.
    I got to know Ali Roberston well (the Al out of Alvins - and super knowledgeable on all things HD). He told me that when they were approached by HD to take on a dealership, all they had to stock was a Sportster, a Superglide and an Electraglide plus a handful of spares - changed days now!
    When Ali packed in with Alvins and it closed down he started Harley Mania, now V Twin Mania with his wife Elaine, working from home with tons of old Harley inventory. I was lucky enough to visit them at home a few times to buy all the parts for an FXSTi custom I built 12 years ago - and they even traded in all my OEM parts for a decent price - really great people.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL883R

Dave - I also remember when the XLCR first arrived. Me and a mate (Z650 and CB550 4) rode out to a tiny dealership in a village outside Bath and pressed our noses up against the window. I still remember the desire, and the regret that I couldn't afford one - even then Harleys were £500 more than I could Hire Purchase! I remember the same lust when the Moto Guzzi Le Mans and Laverda Jota came out.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Alec L For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (01-31-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec L View Post
    Yeah, I used to use Alvins a lot, first in the back of Leith Walk and then Portobello where they went all corporate. Used to get them to service my Ducatis, and had a test ride on the Buell Lightning when it came out.
    I got to know Ali Roberston well (the Al out of Alvins - and super knowledgeable on all things HD). He told me that when they were approached by HD to take on a dealership, all they had to stock was a Sportster, a Superglide and an Electraglide plus a handful of spares - changed days now!
    When Ali packed in with Alvins and it closed down he started Harley Mania, now V Twin Mania with his wife Elaine, working from home with tons of old Harley inventory. I was lucky enough to visit them at home a few times to buy all the parts for an FXSTi custom I built 12 years ago - and they even traded in all my OEM parts for a decent price - really great people.

Hi Alec,

I've bought parts from V-Twin Mania, thanks for giving us the lowdown of it and Alvin's.

Rooley Lane Motorcycles in Bradford was a cosmopolitan dealership, they avoided selling machines from the big four Japanese manufacturers, instead they sold motorcycles from more unusual marques of the time. Harley-Davidson, Silk, Ducati, Fantic, DKW, Beta, Maico, Husqvarna, Sanglas, SWM, Casal, Moto Morini, Montessa, Bultaco, Indian and the very expensive Van Veen OCR1000 all graced the Rooley Lane showroom. The dealership was closed and then demolished in the early 1980's, a Shell filling station and a cafe were built on the site. Rooley Lane Motorcycles were owned by Brook Lister Motorcycles on Carlisle Road, Bradford. Sadly Brook Lister went out of business in the 1990's.