Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Posts
    279
    Thanked: 65
    Quote Originally Posted by corpse877 View Post
    How'd you find the comfort on the Iron for that distance?
    Do you find motorway speeds a grind for the 883?

    I'm actually thinking of getting the 1200 conversion kit, but wasn't sure if it really needed it or added much?

    Any recommendations on kit for long journeys?

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Hi, I have a mustang seat, that allows the all day comfort for me... I personally found the stock seat unbearable, plus I went with hollywood bars... prefer wider and forward controls.. bad knees !! The 883 is normally good enough... it just runs out of puff far quicker than a 1200 and is more revvy... long overtakes in the hills of Brecon required planning and opportunity where as the 1200 does it far more efficiently, and the motorway hour after hour at 75 just got on my nerves, others find it fine. But the 1200 is fairly relaxed at that. The 1200 feels the same as the 883 at 85/90 for buzzy feeling so more relaxed doing less

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Deal, Kent
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Sportster Iron 883 2017
    Posts
    10
    Thanked: 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Welcome fae the wilds of Fife, from a fellow Iron owner. Mines a 2016 vintage. Personally I've found the iron comfortable enough for 500mls in a day trips, so not felt the need for a 1200 hop up. We're also booked up for Thunder this year, great event.
    A fellow Fifer!!!
    How is auld Fife these days??
    For Thunder, you camping or hotel-ing it? I going with my old man so hotel for us, staying in Grantown-on-Spey. When I was a kid (and lived in Fife) my Dad took me to Thunder 3 or 4 times, think its where my love of bikes and Harleys in particular came from.

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Deal, Kent
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Sportster Iron 883 2017
    Posts
    10
    Thanked: 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    Hi and welcome from a double newbie; on bikes and to the forum. I've found this forum to be friendly and informative. You'd be the talk of the Isle of Man if you went to the TT on one of these, a Harley XR750TT.

    https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/18346/lot/120/

    I certainly would!! Would probably do better than the Fireblades last year too!!

    I actually going for part fun, part to be an event marshall. I've never done it before so it'll be a learning curve. And probably as close to the action as I'll ever get!!

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Deal, Kent
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Sportster Iron 883 2017
    Posts
    10
    Thanked: 4
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    I have three generations of distillery workers that I'm aware of in my family, there may be more. When my father worked in the distilleries and I was ill, he'd give me a shot of whisky, it was a used as a cure all ills medicine in our home.
    And what about now? Still used a s a cure all?

    That's some heritage you've got going on. You work in the distilleries too?

    Not sure on my lineage, I'm a Kirkland (Fathers side) and Galbraith (Mothers side) so I know its all Scottish, just don't know the ins and oots!!

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Deal, Kent
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Sportster Iron 883 2017
    Posts
    10
    Thanked: 4
    Quote Originally Posted by wide View Post
    Hi, I have a mustang seat, that allows the all day comfort for me... I personally found the stock seat unbearable, plus I went with hollywood bars... prefer wider and forward controls.. bad knees !! The 883 is normally good enough... it just runs out of puff far quicker than a 1200 and is more revvy... long overtakes in the hills of Brecon required planning and opportunity where as the 1200 does it far more efficiently, and the motorway hour after hour at 75 just got on my nerves, others find it fine. But the 1200 is fairly relaxed at that. The 1200 feels the same as the 883 at 85/90 for buzzy feeling so more relaxed doing less
    Yeah got the forward controls (Tall guy), part of the £750 worth of free add-ons when buying the bike.
    Is it more worth upgrading to 1200 rather than Stage 1 tuning it?

    And my Dad has a mustang seat on his Electra-Glide. He swears by it, the previous owner of his must've been short as he'd had almost all the padding taken out of the front of the original seat (the ball rest area??)

  6. #16
    Senior Member bluenose-1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Halifax, United Kingdom.
    My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Posts
    4,012
    Thanked: 1400
    Quote Originally Posted by corpse877 View Post
    And what about now? Still used a s a cure all?

    That's some heritage you've got going on. You work in the distilleries too?

    Not sure on my lineage, I'm a Kirkland (Fathers side) and Galbraith (Mothers side) so I know its all Scottish, just don't know the ins and oots!!

    Ok Pete,

    I was nine and a half when the family moved to Halifax, so I never worked in distilleries. Most of my working life was in the engineering industry, machine tools, lithographic machinery and bespoke powered wheelchairs.

    I remember my father used to take a flask of tea to the distillery in the morning and his flask was full of whisky when he came home in the evening. It was straight out of the still so it was clear and 155 degrees proof, it's then diluted to the regular 70 degrees proof in the distillery before its aged in old used sherry barrels, it gets it's golden colour, from the barrels. My mother used the whisky as drain cleaner, it was very effective at that.

    I'm a MacGregor, I have Cameron, Shearer, Black, (paternal side). Moffat, Marshall and Calder (maternal side) in my mix. All Scottish too.

    I only drink whisky at the festive season these days, in 2003 my liver function was down by two thirds and my doctor advised me to do something about it or I'd be dead within four years. I took his advice and fifteen years later I'm still alive and kicking. I don't drink much alcohol these days, but I do drink plenty of mineral water.

    My father died of lung cancer in 1995 aged 64.
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 01-30-2018 at 01:21 PM.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Posts
    279
    Thanked: 65
    Quote Originally Posted by corpse877 View Post
    Yeah got the forward controls (Tall guy), part of the £750 worth of free add-ons when buying the bike.
    Is it more worth upgrading to 1200 rather than Stage 1 tuning it?

    And my Dad has a mustang seat on his Electra-Glide. He swears by it, the previous owner of his must've been short as he'd had almost all the padding taken out of the front of the original seat (the ball rest area??)
    Well the stage 1 is something that can be done a lot cheaper than HD, you can get slip ons for fairly cheap V&H straight shots are nice for a couple of hundred, a filter from china is OK £30 and a Fuelpak £340 ish and is worth it, then decided on a 1200 upgrade, poss cost £1500 !! Unless you do it yourself and save £500.
    Seats is a nightmare, its all down to what makes you comfy, but I love my mustang. I did try a HD sprung saddle, that my mate says is the comfiest he had on a bike, after 20 miles I took it off and sold it straight away as I found it an impliment of torture !!

  8. #18
    Senior Member bluenose-1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Halifax, United Kingdom.
    My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Posts
    4,012
    Thanked: 1400
    I bought all the items for performing my 2011 Iron 883's Stage 1 upgrade for less than £500 on ebay.

    1/ Screamin' Eagle Air Filter (new old stock), £75.
    2/ Python 3 slip-on mufflers from the USA, £300.
    3/ Screamin' Eagle Race Fueler (new old stock), £100.

    My mate is a qualified motor mechanic, he'll install and set up the SERF free of charge.

    Saved myself about a grand there by using my head, instead of going to an authorised H-D stealership.
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 01-30-2018 at 04:59 PM.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Whistler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Posts
    3,423
    Thanked: 620
    Quote Originally Posted by corpse877 View Post
    A fellow Fifer!!!
    How is auld Fife these days??
    For Thunder, you camping or hotel-ing it? I going with my old man so hotel for us, staying in Grantown-on-Spey. When I was a kid (and lived in Fife) my Dad took me to Thunder 3 or 4 times, think its where my love of bikes and Harleys in particular came from.
    Adopted Fifer the last 22yrs. Edinburgh originally. We're hotelling in Carbridge. This will be my 4th time. Not sure where my love off bikes came from, but they fascinated me from a young age. My grandad was a world war 2 dispatch rider, my nana always said it was genetic. Fifes still an ok place to live, great biking roads
    Last edited by Whistler; 01-30-2018 at 06:07 PM.
    FTW )

  10. #20
    Senior Member bluenose-1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Halifax, United Kingdom.
    My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Posts
    4,012
    Thanked: 1400
    Hey Whistler,

    I think you mean Carrbridge, it's a double r.

    My father sold his old 1936 Ford model Y in Carrbridge in 1960.

    I spent some very happy years in the Strathspey area.
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 01-30-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •