Thread: ACF50 again !

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 883 Iron

ACF50 again !

I have been keeping the Iron off the road due to all the salt, so she is parked up in the garage with a breathable cover on to keep the dust off (shares the garage with two dogs). Decided to fire her up to day to keep things turned over, but noticed a fair bit of condensation on the bike. Was`nt over concerned as my other bikes get a bit on too. What did bother me though, on some of the exposed ally and at joints between engine cases there were spots of that powdery fuzz you get when aluminium starts to corrode. Was`nt expecting that. Anyway, I have obtained a couple of cans of ACF50, having read up all the posts on here and other sites, intending to use on my other "winter" bike, an old Virago. Been thinking it would be worth treating the Iron now as well. Just a bit nervous though, its a 2016 bike and the most expensive toy I have ever had. So now for probably a daft question. Do I spray it onto the engine cases, barrels as well as the exposed ally bits ?. Just wondered whether it will make the matt black crinkle paint look glossy as I don`t want that. Now even dumber question, the aerosol doesn't spray like a mist, comes out in a jet, so whats the best method to spread it over a large area, or areas where I need to be careful ie near tyres or brakes. Does it affect rubber parts ?. Obviously not going to be spraying tyres or breaks, but wondered about grommets, plug leads etc. Wondered what other folk do. Thought maybe squirt into a container and use a soft paint brush ?. Anyway, any advice much appreciated. Sorry if this has been asked before, I have read the posts about it but can`t find anything specific relating to use on the cases etc. Must be good stuff though, a mate of mine is a chopper pilot on the North Sea oil rigs and says they use it on everything out there !.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomo For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (12-23-2017)

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    I have been keeping the Iron off the road due to all the salt, so she is parked up in the garage with a breathable cover on to keep the dust off (shares the garage with two dogs). Decided to fire her up to day to keep things turned over, but noticed a fair bit of condensation on the bike. Was`nt over concerned as my other bikes get a bit on too. What did bother me though, on some of the exposed ally and at joints between engine cases there were spots of that powdery fuzz you get when aluminium starts to corrode. Was`nt expecting that. Anyway, I have obtained a couple of cans of ACF50, having read up all the posts on here and other sites, intending to use on my other "winter" bike, an old Virago. Been thinking it would be worth treating the Iron now as well. Just a bit nervous though, its a 2016 bike and the most expensive toy I have ever had. So now for probably a daft question. Do I spray it onto the engine cases, barrels as well as the exposed ally bits ?. Just wondered whether it will make the matt black crinkle paint look glossy as I don`t want that. Now even dumber question, the aerosol doesn't spray like a mist, comes out in a jet, so whats the best method to spread it over a large area, or areas where I need to be careful ie near tyres or brakes. Does it affect rubber parts ?. Obviously not going to be spraying tyres or breaks, but wondered about grommets, plug leads etc. Wondered what other folk do. Thought maybe squirt into a container and use a soft paint brush ?. Anyway, any advice much appreciated. Sorry if this has been asked before, I have read the posts about it but can`t find anything specific relating to use on the cases etc. Must be good stuff though, a mate of mine is a chopper pilot on the North Sea oil rigs and says they use it on everything out there !.
    Other than being careful around the brakes and tyre I spray the whole bike. Let it creep over and then buff up the excess. The when dry I coat with a wax and dry off. Works fine. Condensation is a pain,craven with breathable covers. I try yo keep extra ventilation going into outhouse, but it's hard to avoid completely unless you've a heated garage. Also fasteners on HD s are prone to fitting. Only solution is to replace with stainless.
    FTW )

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 2015 Fat Bob
    Go stainless with your bolts ( Bluenose 1956 sells them and they’re brilliant) and as for the ACF50, if you’re using the spray can method I’d advise spraying some onto a cloth and then use that cloth to wipe across surfaces as opposed to spraying direct as it’ll be more economical. Crinkle cases do brighten up a bit after application which personally suits me. It’s fantastic stuff and this is my second winter of using it without a problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by percysybil View Post
    Go stainless with your bolts ( Bluenose 1956 sells them and they’re brilliant) and as for the ACF50, if you’re using the spray can method I’d advise spraying some onto a cloth and then use that cloth to wipe across surfaces as opposed to spraying direct as it’ll be more economical. Crinkle cases do brighten up a bit after application which personally suits me. It’s fantastic stuff and this is my second winter of using it without a problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I lather the stuff on and creeps into all the crooks and crevices on bike. Bugger the cost
    Last edited by Whistler; 12-23-2017 at 05:14 PM.
    FTW )

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whistler For This Useful Post:

percysybil (12-25-2017), reindeer (05-21-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 883 Iron
    Thanks everyone. I spent a couple of hours today on it. Now have another problem, posted in technical. This bike is really doing my head in !.