Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: YSS shocks

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldvelonut View Post
    Nowt wrong with a flying jacket on a cold day, you could however get a jacket to match your bike.......
    no ta. Think I'll stick with my black HD waterproof fleece.it matches my bike better
    FTW )

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin'onabit View Post
    Talking of chrome.

The shocks are 11" so there is only 1" of travel. Dave at Hagon reckons 3" of travel would be ideal, but as I don't want to jack the rear end up which make the bike steer much quicker, he reckons that if I fitted 12" shocks I would see (and feel) an improvement.
    I want 11" shocks for my Iron at some point. The ones I've seen look really smart with the fender hugging the rear tyre
    FTW )

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200L
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin'onabit View Post
    Talking of chrome.

The shocks are 11" so there is only 1" of travel. Dave at Hagon reckons 3" of travel would be ideal, but as I don't want to jack the rear end up which make the bike steer much quicker, he reckons that if I fitted 12" shocks I would see (and feel) an improvement.
    I, too, had a long email conversation with Dave at Hagons. What an excellent and knowledgeable chap!
    I have gone with his advice and fitted 13” shocks together with the Hagon fork springs (as shown on the last photo). The combination of less sag on the front and longer travel on the back gives a much better ride, and I have left the preload low on the shocks so they sag nearly an inch when I sit on the seat. This gives almost the same steering feel as standard, with more preload and less sag it WAS quicker, but not overly so. My only problem is slinging my leg over that fat seat, but only from the right if the bike is upright. From the left with the bike on the stand is no problem so it is down to my short legs and stiff joints! Once mounted I can still paddle it about with ease.
    Try to find someone with a set of 13” shocks you can borrow so you can try the ride before shelling out for new ones. Plenty of owners have fitted short shocks so there are loads of 13” ones sat about on shelves.
    Your stock shocks should be the same as mine meaning the unladen length between centres is already 11.5/8”, so 12” would only give you another 3/8”.

These are my original shock against the 2017 13” Iron shock:
    B2D5A60E-26E5-4B00-BA20-75AD71B9390F.jpg

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200L
    Erm..... my reply has been sent to moderator???

My standard 11.5/8” shock and the 2017 13” Showa/HD shock fitted on the last photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Oldvelonut; 01-08-2018 at 08:12 PM.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200L
    Ok, let’s have another go.......

With the new shocks fitted and the Hagon springs with the right amount of preload limiting the front end sag the ride is great, I even went looking for potholes and never bottomed out once. The speed of the steering DOES alter, but when I reduced the preload on the rear to give nearly 1” of sag with me aboard it returned to nearly the same as standard. My only problem is slinging my old short leg over that fat saddle with the bike upright, but once I am onboard I can paddle about as easily as before.
    Whip off one of your existing shocks to measure the unloaded length between centres, then borrow some 13” ones to try out the stance/ handling before you shell out for new ones. Trust in Dave at Hagons, he is a top bloke and really knows his stuff!

Pete C.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Oldvelonut For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (01-08-2018)

My Ride
    Erm..... my reply has been sent to moderator???

My standard 11.5/8” shock and the 2017 13” Showa/HD shock fitted on the last photo.
    Sometimes that happens, even when a post seems ok.
    FTW )

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Ok, let’s have another go.......

With the new shocks fitted and the Hagon springs with the right amount of preload limiting the front end sag the ride is great, I even went looking for potholes and never bottomed out once. The speed of the steering DOES alter, but when I reduced the preload on the rear to give nearly 1” of sag with me aboard it returned to nearly the same as standard. My only problem is slinging my old short leg over that fat saddle with the bike upright, but once I am onboard I can paddle about as easily as before.
    Whip off one of your existing shocks to measure the unloaded length between centres, then borrow some 13” ones to try out the stance/ handling before you shell out for new ones. Trust in Dave at Hagons, he is a top bloke and really knows his stuff!

Pete C.
    Hi Pete,

Fitting a 19" front wheel would also help with the handling, the Iron has a 19" up front and it helps to make the Iron the sweetest handling Sportster.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200L
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    Hi Pete,

Fitting a 19" front wheel would also help with the handling, the Iron has a 19" up front and it helps to make the Iron the sweetest handling Sportster.
    That had me baffled for a mo, I even had to get the handbook out to check and, yep, the 1200L already has a 19” front wheel. It is the short forks that make the difference.

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    That had me baffled for a mo, I even had to get the handbook out to check and, yep, the 1200L already has a 19” front wheel. It is the short forks that make the difference.
    Hi Pete,

Sorry mate I didn't realise that your bike has a 19" front wheel, the later XL883L "Superlow" and XL1200T "Superlow" with the cast wheels runs on 18"ers. The earlier XL883L "Low" and XL1200L "Low" run on a 19" up front.

2011 XL883L "Superlow"

xl-883l-sportster-superlow_2011_1.jpg

2014 XL1200T "Superlow"

2014-Harley-Davidson-XL1200T-SuperLow3.jpg

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200L
    Thanks for that, it explains the “superlow” tag. I shan’t be buying one of those then!
    I went for the 1200L with forwards because I liked the look and was comfortable on the test ride. I had tried an 883L with mids and found it cramped, and don’t like the 21” wheel on the C versions. Nine months of living with it highlighted some suspension limitations that have now been sorted so I think we will be together for many years to come.

PS. How do you add the big pictures?
    Last edited by Oldvelonut; 01-09-2018 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Add PS