Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: YSS shocks

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 883 Iron
    Hey Pete

How easy was it to change your front fork Springs and oil? really fancy doing it as the standard feels to soft, especially with being a bit heavier.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200L
    Very easy Mark. Have a word with Dave at Hagons, they don’t list a specific spring for my 1200L but he was able to tell me the right options. You will need a good socket or box spanner for the top nuts (mine are 1.3/8” AF) and be prepared for the spring to fire the top nut out at the end of the threads as the stock one is 1.3/4” longer than the fork tube (23” free length). You will probably need to move the handlebars out of the way, but you can leave everything connected just rest/tie/bungee them clear of the nuts. You will have to make a spacer tube for each spring to set the preload, the length will depend on how long a spring you choose (Hagon do three) and the amount of initial sag you want. I bought the 520mm ones (they do 540 & 555) as the compressed length of the spring in the unladen fork is 540 and I wanted to locate the spacer inside the leg before pushing down to start the threads on the top plug.
    I ended up with a spacer 1.1/2” long plus a 3mm thick washer so you could use the 540 spring and a shorter spacer. I bought a pack of 3mm thick spacer washers from eBay for fine tuning, so used a stack of them to get the length of spacer I needed).
    New fork oil (Dave recommended sae15 instead of the HD sae20) and you have done!

Oh, and you need some way of supporting the bike with the front wheel off the ground, you can use a trolley jack with a plank and axle stands or buy a cantilever screw bike jack off ebay like me!
    Last edited by Oldvelonut; 01-09-2018 at 01:45 PM.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 883 Iron
    Cheers Dave,
    I've got a small flat scissor Jack, You lost me with all the spacers etc but sure i'll fine a video on youtube, either that or be begging people to help on the Lincoln Sickness group

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Having spent loads of time with Ducati front forks (much of which was wasted time and money) on spacers and preload adjusters; now that I have a Sportster if I wanted to alter the front end springing; I would be inclined to fit a pair of the many available makes of preload adjusters that are an easy swap over for the OEM fork cap.

For example: https://www.harleycustom.co.uk/produ...om-motorcycles

AL
    Last edited by Gettin'onabit; 01-09-2018 at 05:12 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (01-09-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200L
    Wow, I like them! Never seen them before and should be great on bikes with standard length forks.
    The problem with mine is that Harley put such long soft springs in that there is already 2.1/2” of preload on the standard set up, and I am pretty sure the springs become coil bound, so more preload would shorten the travel even more. The new springs from Hagon have a much better rate and enough air gap to enable these devices to work, but at about £174 more than my spacers!

My Ride
    2017 Harley-Davidson XL1200T
    Oldvelonut, you mentioned you will be fitting saddlebags. Have you finalised the preload adjustment on the shocks so you won't need to touch them anytime soon?
    I ask as I was going to get Hagons but as I ride solo and 2-up and need to be making adjustments I would find it very difficult if not impossible to get a spanner on the adjusters with bags on.
    The standard Harley bags have cut outs so they fit very close and partly wrap round the shocks.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200L
    Hi Andy, I have a pair of Bikers Gearbox throw over leather bags bought very secondhand at a Sunbeam rally jumble. Cost me £20 and a bucket of leather restorer, go over the guard and under the dualseat then tie to bag supports (eBay) with bootlaces. To adjust the shocks I just have to untie the laces and lift the bag out of the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Oldvelonut For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (01-09-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Oldvelonut - are you by any chance a Thurston?

AL